Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

embedded tuplets?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

embedded tuplets?

Postby frabato56 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:59 pm

Hi All,

I'm just trying the demo and I didn't see anything in the manual about embedded tuplets. For example: a triplet within a quintuplet. Also, is it possible to notate, say a flute part in 4/4 and an oboe in 7/8 at the same time?

Thanks
frabato56

Re: embedded tuplets?

Postby dgriffee » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:42 am

i just tried both (for curiosity) ...

yes you can have different instruments simultaneously play in differing meters and it seems to handle them correctly. I tried a flute in 3/4 and an oboe in 7/8 and a horn in 11/16 all on top of another and threw some notes down and it played them right. You might not want to use "barline groups" for obvious reasons, but it appears you can do any independant meters you care to layer up for each instrument. There's a selection check in the meter widget for "add to all parts" which you uncheck to do meter changes for an individual instrument line independantly.

Compound tuplets... eh not so much. It does not appear to handle nested tuplet-within-a-tuplet, only one level of tuplet, although I suppose you could do any ratio imaginable and so use the least common denominator to get some freightfully complex tuplets (grin). I personally love using irrational submetrics, but I think for a compound I would typically just break it down into separate components instead of nesting them, easier to read.
dgriffee

Re: embedded tuplets?

Postby frabato56 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:54 pm

Thanks very much for the reply and sorry I'm so late to reply. I checked the box to be notified but I don't think I received anything. Anyway, that's good news about the multiple time signatures, I don't think that most programs can do that. It's a shame about the nested tuplets. One of my favorite hobbies is looking at and inputing the music of Frank Zappa which is full of nested tuplets. I suppose I could look at translating them to ratios that could be used at the top level.

Thanks
frabato56

Return to NOTION