Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

So, Notion for Ipad is out, what's new for pc users?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

So, Notion for Ipad is out, what's new for pc users?

Postby arkham00 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:46 am

That's it, we got it, so what are the plans for the pc version ?

We waited quite a long time for the developers to be available again for the pc version of Notion.
We trusted, supported, encouraged, criticized you and we are still there :)
So can you please reassure us and maybe anticipate something?

There are many topics asking for fixes and new features (64bit, midi editor, rules editor, video support, etc.) what are you going to consider for the next releases ?
What are you planning to improve/add/fix in the next upgrades and when we will have the next upgrade ?

Will it be a version 4 in the year ?

Thank you so much.
arkham00

Re: So, Notion for Ipad is out, what's new for pc users?

Postby Eftwyrd » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:04 pm

mh, I don't think there will be Notion-4 in 2012. :(
Eftwyrd

Postby klushund » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:40 pm

Eftwyrd wrote:mh, I don't think there will be Notion-4 in 2012. :(

Maybe not Notion 4 but please Notion, give us an update with error corrections. I posted a display error a long time ago; the only update since then was a port to the new MAC OS version. :?
I hope for a statement from the Notion people because a friend wants to buy a notation software and I told him to wait until it is fixed that the PC version will be maintained better again after the iPad launch.
klushund

Postby Admin » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:39 am

Eftwyrd wrote:mh, I don't think there will be Notion-4 in 2012. :(

I wouldn't say that yet! It's still pretty early in the year!!

We are certainly committed to moving forward with all of our products and are definitely planning on giving you all something this year! Can't tell you exactly what is in store for the updates, but they WILL be significant.

-Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Postby wcreed51 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:32 am

I have my own theory as to what's in the works, involving that other notation company in the Carolinas...
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Eftwyrd » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:39 pm

Can't tell you exactly what is in store for the updates, but they WILL be significan
well, surprise us :)
Eftwyrd

Postby Surfwhammy » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:46 am

Admin wrote:We are certainly committed to moving forward with all of our products and are definitely planning on giving you all something this year! Can't tell you exactly what is in store for the updates, but they WILL be significant.

-Kyle

Excellent! :)

As you know, NOTION 3 is the foundation for my DISCO and Pop song composition and production system, and this makes NOTION 3 so vastly important that I have a strategic plan in place to be able to do what I call "freezing time", which includes providing a separate computer, hardware, software, and everything else necessary to keep everything the way it currently exists, which is something I do every once in a while with irreplaceable applications, which in this particular instance costs approximately $200, since all I had to do was get a hard drive and clone it using SuperDuper!, because it is virtually trivial to swap an internal hard drive on the 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro and takes about 10 minutes, followed by booting the the cloned drive . . .

SuperDuper! (Shirt Pocket)

There certainly are some aspects of NOTION 3 that can be updated and enhanced, but it is very important to understand that NOTION 3 generally is perfect the way it exists today . . .

For reference, my perspective is a bit different in part due to being a formally trained Computer Scientist, as well as being a registered Mac OS X and iOS application developer, which I started doing on the Mac OS X application side about 10 years ago when I decided that doing the same thing in the Microsoft universe was not a productive activity for me, even though I had been doing Windows application, database, and system development since the first version of Windows . . .

From this perspective, the most important thing is to make NOTION 4 a true 64-bit application, although with compatibility for 32-bit VST effects plug-ins and VSTi virtual instruments . . .

And it is fine with me if everything in the NOTION 4 graphic user interface (GUI) looks and works exactly the same way it does in NOTION 3, and for the most part this not only (a) is fine but also (b) is desired, since one of the things that makes NOTION 3 so easy and productive to use is its specific GUI . . .

The current 32-bit application workspace limitation requires me to spread "heavy" VSTi virtual instruments over perhaps as many as 50 synchronized NOTION 3 scores (a.k.a., "*.notion" project files), but I put all of them in a folder and have a file naming standard where I append "PT-n" to the file name, which makes it trivial to do or to redo the ReWire to Digital Peformer 7.24, which is the way that get the NOTION 3 generated audio recorded in Digital Performer 7.24 as "soundbites", where by doing something similar in Digital Performer 7.24 (since it also currently is a 32-bit application and has the same 32-bit application workspace limitations) it is practical to have as many as 500 to 1,000 instrumental tracks for a song, albeit with a significant bit of "bouncing to disc" to create layers in the strategy defined by Les Paul in the early-1950s and enhanced by Phil Spector ("Wall of Sound") and George Martin (Beatles) over the next decade or so . . .

Judging by the processor utilization reported by Activity Monitor (Mac OS X 10.6.8), the highest utilization I have observed for NOTION 3 and Digital Performer 7.24 is in the range of 15 to 20 percent, which indicates to me that the 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro has plenty of available processing capability to handle a lot more work when everything is 64-bits, especially is it is done in such a way that activities and tasks can be run essentially in parallel on multiple cores rather than single-stepped . . .

Based on the Notion Music iPad applications, all of which I have, the expertise certainly exists to do the 64-bit version for Mac OS X correctly, and while the more naive folks might think that it is not such a big deal to do a 64-bit version, the fact is that it is a lot of work when it is done the right way . . .

I am by no means an expert in any aspect of Mac OS X application development and iOS app development--with the exception of being skilled in native, low-level C/API SQLite stuff (including SQL database designing and programming)--I know enough generally about the way everything works on the Mac to state the fact that software engineers who can do an excellent iOS version of a Mac OS X application essentially can do everything in the Apple universe, including an eloquent 64-bit version of NOTION, which is the primary thing I would like to see perhaps by this time next year, although if it happens sooner, this will be fine with me, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :D

P. S. I think that younger folks probably have a very different perspective on the level of technology in all this stuff, but the way I put it into perspective is that 50 years ago doing all of this stuff was only possible for those few folks who had million dollar recording studios and the ability to hire real orchestras, but now it is not only possible but also practical to do, for example, all the songs on "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (Beatles) and "The Dark Side of the Moon" (Pink Floyd) inside a Volkswagen "Beetle" using a MacBook Pro, NOTION 3, a virtual festival of VST effects plug-ins and VSTi virtual instruments, a USB microphone, and a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application like Digital Performer 7.24 (MOTU) or Logic Studio (Apple), which is simply mind-boggling . . .

Mind-boggling! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby Admin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:59 am

wcreed51 wrote:I have my own theory as to what's in the works, involving that other notation company in the Carolinas...

?? What other notation company is in the Carolinas??
Admin
Site Admin

Postby wcreed51 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:19 am

SonicScore, aka GenieDoft...
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Admin » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:49 am

wcreed51 wrote:SonicScore, aka GenieDoft...

So if I may ask....what is the "theory" you have about them?
Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to NOTION