Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

4 bars per system

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: 4 bars per system

Postby Surfwhammy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Dave Dominey wrote:this still happens all the time!!!

drives me up the wall

notion crashes after trying to recover the set too!!!

Other than being a bit amazed that I did not know what a "system" was earlier this year, one possibility is that you simply have too much stuff in your NOTION 3 scores, where for example the general upper limit for VSTi virtual instruments (one per staff) is 50, but NOTION 3 typically starts behaving unusually when the total number of VSTi virtual instruments is greater than 25, which is the reason that I limit NOTION 3 score to somewhere in the range of 20 to 25 VSTI virtual instruments, except when I am using MachFive 3 (MOTU), where I limit the total to 10 or 11, and only use 1 or 2 MachFive 3 VSTi virtual instruments, since MachFive 3 is very heavy in terms of resource usage . . .

When NOTION 3 is approaching its limits and strange things begin happening, if it crashes or freezes, then you might need to try reopening the score several times, closing and restarting NOTION 3 each time . . .

Before I discovered this, it happened frequently, but I never lost a score, although I did lose some 30 minutes or an hours of work every once in a while . . .

And it is important to understand that VST effects plug-ins also tend to be heavy in terms of resource usage, so I generally do not use VST effects plug-ins in NOTION 3. Instead, I record the NOTION 3 generated audio as soundbites in Digital Performer 7.24 (MOTU) via ReWire (Propellerhead Software) and then do all the VST effects plug-in work in Digital Performer 7.24, since Digital Performer 7.24 is focused on a different set of activities, and although it also is a 32-bit application, it does not have to do all the work that NOTION 3 does . . .

THOUGHTS

What you describe is very similar to what happens when the 32-bit application workspace for NOTION 3 is near its maximum capacity and resource usage . . .

If you create your own templates from a blank template, then you might do some experiments to determine the practical boundaries . . .

And for reference, I do everything on the Mac, but the 32-bit application workspace limitation applies to the Windows version of NOTION 3, as well, and it does not matter whether you are running the operating system in 32-bit mode or in 64-bit mode . . .

This is all that comes to mind at present, but if are on the Mac and can post a NOTION 3 score with just enough measures of notes to cause the problem, I can take a look at it here in the sound isolation studio . . .

I have all the IK Multimedia VSTi virtual instruments, Kontakt 5 (Native Instruments), MachFive 3 (MOTU), and Twin 2 (FabFilter Software Instruments), but I do not have any of the other VSTi virtual instruments, so if the NOTION 3 score uses the N2 and N3 bundled instruments or the VSTi instruments I have, then I will be able to open it, but if it uses other VSTi virtual instruments that I do not have, there is not much I can do to help . . .

I checked the NOTION 3 User Manual, and it indicates that the "Measures per system" value is just a guideline or default value, because depending on the types of notes and so forth, the real number of measures per system can be lower . . .

[The Measures per system value] is a default number that will be lower in number when there are a large amount of spelled-out glissandos, 16th/32nd/64th/128th notes, German lyrics, or similar size-busting score markings in one or more measures.

[SOURCE: NOTION 3 User Manual ]

Hence another possibility is that there is a particular thing you are doing in the music notation that causes this adverse behavior, which might be something subtle like the font size or a particular type of articulation or dynamic . . .

And it also could be a matter of the page layout, printer driver, or something similar . . .

If you find a solution, let everyone know how you solved the problem . . . :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby Dave Dominey » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:48 pm

only got as far as this bit .... sorry

"Other than being a bit amazed that I did not know what a "system" was earlier this year, one possibility is that you simply have too much stuff in your NOTION 3 scores"

nope... happens on an empty score with only one instrument.... not even a plugin.... notions own instrument
Dave Dominey

Postby thorrild » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:13 pm

Dave,

I can't reproduce the problem on my system. Why don't you write an email to Brian (support@notionmusic.com)? He is always extremely helpful and gets back to you right away.

Don't forget to tell him whether you're a Mac or a PC, and other pertinent stuff you may think of.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby Surfwhammy » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Dave Dominey wrote:only got as far as this bit .... sorry

"Other than being a bit amazed that I did not know what a "system" was earlier this year, one possibility is that you simply have too much stuff in your NOTION 3 scores"

nope... happens on an empty score with only one instrument.... not even a plugin.... notions own instrument

Having a strong opening sentence is very important, and when it provides the reader with an accurate overview, then all the better, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :)

I did a quick experiment by creating a new score with only one N3 instrument (Bass Trombone), where I set the Measures per system to 4 in the Full Score options, and there were no problems, so I did another experiment and changed the page layout to a small size (A6), where there were only two measures per line, followed by changing the page size to something larger, and it was back to four measures per line . . .

On the Mac this is dependent on the specific hardware device or whatever is selected as the printer, and it probably is the same on a Windows machine, so another possibility is that the printer you have selected has a software bug in the section of its printer driver code that NOTION 3 queries to get information about the current page size . . .

You can do a few experiments to get a sense of whether this is the problem by trying it with a few printers from different manufacturers, where if you do not have a small set different printers installed, you can download printer drivers from some of the manufacturers' websites and install them . . .

Again, when you solve the problem, post something to let everyone know how you solved it . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Previous

Return to NOTION