Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

4 bars per system

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

4 bars per system

Postby Dave Dominey » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:15 pm

when i set 4 bars per system notion will crash about 9 times out of 10

this version of notions loves to crash

anyone else had this particular version of crash though?
Dave Dominey

Re: 4 bars per system

Postby robsogge » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:12 am

hi Dave, I've tried it on my system but it never crashes...
robsogge

Postby Surfwhammy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:39 pm

To what does "four bars per system" refer?

I am curious, since this phrase makes no sense to me . . .

Thanks in advance! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby robsogge » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:57 pm

If I understand it correctly, it means forcing the score to display a new system every four measures; each line, from left to right, must have exactly 4 measures...
robsogge

Postby Surfwhammy » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:13 pm

robsogge wrote:If I understand it correctly, it means forcing the score to display a new system every four measures; each line, from left to right, must have exactly 4 measures...

In this context, what is a "new system"?

It continues to make no sense to me, really . . .

Really! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby robsogge » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:45 am

A system is a set of staves, and it varies depending on how many staves you've loaded in your score... if you only have a guitar loaded, then that will be a single staff system. If you load guit, bass and drums that'll be a three staves system. At times I wonder if you're a human or a super sophisticated bot :D
robsogge

Postby Zblogny » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:49 am

Yes, it's that easy !
And if I am still able to count properly, if you load Full orchestra template in Notion you get a 56-staves system (including N-tempo staff).
Zblogny

Postby Szurcio1 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:13 pm

robsogge wrote:A system is a set of staves, and it varies depending on how many staves you've loaded in your score... if you only have a guitar loaded, then that will be a single staff system. If you load guit, bass and drums that'll be a three staves system. At times I wonder if you're a human or a super sophisticated bot :D

Ha, ha... I've been wondering the same thing about Surfwhammy. I mean, what human would have enough time and patience to produce such lengthy posts so often?
Szurcio1

Postby Surfwhammy » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:16 pm

robsogge wrote:A system is a set of staves, and it varies depending on how many staves you've loaded in your score... if you only have a guitar loaded, then that will be a single staff system. If you load guit, bass and drums that'll be a three staves system.

I was leaning toward the idea that it might be the collection of staves, but I never heard it called a "system", and the idea that there can be multiple systems tends to suggest that when there multiple systems in a score, then each of them is a "subsystem" . . .

However, while the NOTION 3 documentation refers to these groupings as being "systems", I am not finding any specific definition of "system" in this usage . . .

And "system" is not listed in the wikipedia "Glossary of Musical Terminology", although neither is "part" or "section" and most of the words are Italian or German, which is spanky . . .

Glossary of Musical Terminology (wikipedia)

Spanky!

I think that what is being called a "system" probably maps to what I call a "section", "group of instruments", "set of parts", or something similar . . .

Nevertheless, I did find a definition for "system" at the Virginia Tech Multimedia Music Dictionary website, which is interesting . . .

[A "system" is the] entire notation of a line of music for all the parts and voices involved, presented in a group of two or more staves which are joined together by a vertical bar and a brace at the left side.

[SOURCE: Virginia Tech Multimedia Music Dictionary ]

Interesting!

robsogge wrote:At times I wonder if you're a human or a super sophisticated bot :D

I did a lot of singing in choirs as a child, including a liturgical boys choir which is where I learned how to sight-sing treble clef music notation; I had two or three private violin lessons which was around the time I tried to play clarinet but got a thumb blister and squeaked too much; and I played string bass "by ear" in an orchestra for a while, since bass clef made no sense to me; but this was the extent of my formal music training, and everything else is self-taught, so while I have read several books on music theory and devoted a bit of attention to the Harvard Dictionary of Music, most of what I know is based on whatever I think is useful, where my perspective is based strongly on the combination of "play by ear" and Joseph Schillinger's "System of Musical Composition (SoMC)", which makes a lot of sense to me, even though for the most part I have been working on the first chapter since sometime in the mid-1970s, although in fairness I have looked at all the diagrams and visual stuff in both volumes, which is all one needs to see to make sense of the system when one happens to be able to think mathematically in a primarily visual way, where for example it is easy for me to visualize curl, including real-time motion . . .

Curl (wikipedia)

[NOTE: I taught myself how to speed read when I was younger, and over the years I developed an enhanced strategy that I call "vastly rapid speed reading", where the general idea is to fan the pages of a book in a way similar to shuffling a deck of cards, which with a bit of practice maps to being able to read a 1,000 page book in approximately five seconds, where I fan the pages in each direction one time, which maps to reading all the odd numbered pages first, followed by reading all the even numbered pages, which is an excellent strategy, except that it trades comprehension for speed with the overall result that while I can read a 1,000 page book in five seconds I have no immediately conscious comprehension of the material, which in turn tends to create the somewhat surreal rule that I can recall the information only if I do a Tourette's type of blurting where whatever appears is just as much a surprise to me as it is to everyone else. In other words, the information is there, but best wishes on finding it if you have to stop and think about it for a while . . . ]

Explained another way, I taught myself how to play grand piano simply by thinking about it for twenty years without doing any actual practicing on a real piano for more than perhaps an hour or two a year, mostly for purposes of determining how well I was progressing, where once I discovered the secret a few years ago, it all made sense and I now can compose elaborate grand piano solos in real-time on the fly, which is fabulous . . .

[NOTE: This sounds like more than one grand piano, but it is an illusion created by running the grand piano through a set of cascading echo units, since echo makes everything sound correct to me and fills all the otherwise empty spaces. However, the key is to play grand piano as if it were a drumkit with 88 tiny drums, cymbals, and Latin percussion instruments, which for me essentially makes it trivial, especially when you have rewired your brain to use the Frontal Eye Fields (FEF) region, which is the only way to be able to play notes every 20 to 50 milliseconds, where the secret is that you only need to discover how to get in touch with your inner idiot savant . . . ]

"Starlight" (The Surf Whammys) -- Kick Drum, Electric Bass, Grand Piano (KORG Triton Music Workstation [88-keys] "stereo grand piano" preset with synthesized fog) -- MP3

Fabulous! :D
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby Dave Dominey » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:36 pm

this still happens all the time!!!

drives me up the wall

notion crashes after trying to recover the set too!!!
Dave Dominey

Next

Return to NOTION