Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

print quality

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Monument Sign

Postby composerwithnotion3 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:31 am

whpkalu wrote:You may need to clean the print head nozzles. These can be cleaned by employing the 'Head Cleaning' utility from within the printer software interface you get when you want to print or by going via the 'Control Panel' (found via 'My Computer') and selecting the printers section. After the cleaning operations are carried out by the printer, a check pattern will be printed to show that the ink cartridge nozzles are clean. in this article the author work is very remarkable and i really appriciate of this work.
Monument Sign

thanks, but I clean the nozzles regularly, so, no.....
composerwithnotion3

Re: print quality

Postby composerwithnotion3 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:31 am

wow Surfwhammy....chill out man :) I thank you very much but I don't understand science essays :)

I just wanted to know if there's a quick and easy way to make the print quality better. I have a computer with more than enough power to print high quality sheet music....with Sibelius I can certainly do that as default, but not so with Notion 3, so I thought it must be a setting that I am not aware of.
composerwithnotion3

Postby robsogge » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:37 am

composerwithnotion3 wrote:
robsogge wrote:
composerwithnotion3 wrote:yes but it has nothing to do with printer settings....at least I don't think so. Even if I print to pdf, the quality is lower, different than how it appears in Notion interface. In the latter is more 'engraved'

it makes a lot of a difference to me... please take a look at these two pdfs

http://www.robertosoggetti.com/Scene1-300dpi.pdf
http://www.robertosoggetti.com/Scene1-4800dpi.pdf

I still notice no difference. Maybe with a glass magnifier....?

The print quality I get is lower than even your 300 dpi pdf, though....really weird

maybe a good optician? :)
robsogge

Postby composerwithnotion3 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:52 pm

mmmh....maybe you use a microscope. The smartass you are :D

Not everybody is as smart as you :(
composerwithnotion3

Postby robsogge » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:29 pm

composerwithnotion3 wrote:mmmh....maybe you use a microscope. The smartass you are :D

Not everybody is as smart as you :(

no offense intended... it just seems impossible to me that you can't see the difference. I must conclude that the mac version of acrobat reader displays pdfs in a different way than windows does... end of my effort to help you...
robsogge

Postby pauldrake » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:22 pm

composerwithnotion3 wrote:wow Surfwhammy....chill out man :) I thank you very much but I don't understand science essays :)

I just wanted to know if there's a quick and easy way to make the print quality better hp inkjet from InkJetSuperStore.com. I have a computer with more than enough power to print high quality sheet music....with Sibelius I can certainly do that as default, but not so with Notion 3, so I thought it must be a setting that I am not aware of.

Well if you want to make your prints to have more quality, you should have better ink and paper. And you have do change some settings at your printer settings. What I said was just the common way to print the better way.
pauldrake

Postby Surfwhammy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:59 pm

pauldrake wrote:
composerwithnotion3 wrote:wow Surfwhammy....chill out man :) I thank you very much but I don't understand science essays :)

I just wanted to know if there's a quick and easy way to make the print quality better hp inkjet from InkJetSuperStore.com. I have a computer with more than enough power to print high quality sheet music....with Sibelius I can certainly do that as default, but not so with Notion 3, so I thought it must be a setting that I am not aware of.

Well if you want to make your prints to have more quality, you should have better ink and paper. And you have do change some settings at your printer settings.

Absolutely! :)

THOUGHTS

The quality of printed material generated by NOTION 3 depends primarily on nine things:

(1) printer

(2) printer driver

(3) printer settings

[NOTE: Regarding doing "Page Setup" in NOTION 3 when it is running in Mac OS X 10.8.2 and perhaps earlier versions, there is a "Scale" option which lets you specify the percentage of scaling, and this is handled by the operating system. I have not used this option, but since Steve Jobs was a fanatic about calligraphy, printing, and so forth, it probably works nicely when everything else is configured correctly. And I have no idea whether there is a "Scale" option in Windows . . . ]

(4) page setup in NOTION

(5) primary printer technology (native, via PDF, and so forth)

(6) ink

(7) paper

(8) temperature and humidity

(9) operating system (Mac or Windows)

It also is important to understand that what you see on the computer display is entirely separate from what is printed via a printer on paper using ink, which should be obvious by observing the number of pixels on a computer display, where for example the 20" Apple Cinema display here in the sound isolation studio has a maximum resolution of 1680 x 1050 pixels, and an actual display area of 17.125" by 10.75", where using a bit of rounding this maps approximately to 100 pixels per inch (PPI), which in the grand scheme of everything makes a 300 dots per inch (DPI) higher resolution than a high-end computer display, at least relative to a few years ago, since for example the new Apple Retina display for the iPhone 5 has a resolution of 326 pixels per inch, which for comparison purposes makes the 4" diagonal iPhone Retina display 1136-by-640 pixels, which is approximately three times the resolution of the 20" Apple Cinema Display and puts the iPhone 5 Retina display on par with a 300 DPI printer . . .

However, there is more to it than just pixels and dots, since video display technology includes other stuff that compensates for the lower resolution of computer displays, but so what . . .

So what!

Using the PDF files from robsogge, this is how the treble clefs look when magnified in Preview on the 20" Apple Cinema Display . . .

[NOTE: The key bit of information is that there is a difference in the two PDF files, which provides the clue that the printer setting matters significantly, even though what you see on the computer display is probably 100 pixels per inch at best unless you have an iPhone 5 or a MacBook Pro with a Retina display, where for reference the MacBook Pro Retina display is not so high resolution as the iPhone 5 Retina display, although it has approximately three million more pixels than a 60" HD TV . . . ]

Image Image
300 DPI (left) ~ 4800 DPI (right)

If you want stuff to look good in print, then you need a high-quality printer, which in the inkjet arena maps to a photographic quality inkjet printer and typically will be in the range of 1200 DPI to 2880 DPI, but as noted (see above), the computer needs to have the correct printer driver, and the printer driver needs to be configured correctly . . .

[NOTE: The EPSON Stylus Photo 1430 Inkjet Printer has a resolution of 5760 x 1440 optimized DPI, which in terms of ink droplets maps to a minimum of 1.5 picoliters per drop, which on the short scale used in the US maps to 1.5 trillionths of a liter of ink per droplet, which is one way to put everything into perspective, although best wishes on doing the arithmetic required to make sense of how this maps to everything . . . ]

EPSON Artisian 1430 Inkjet Printer

The ink and paper need to be high-quality, and something so apparently simple as room temperature and humidity can affect print quality, as does the specific finish for the paper and its brightness, which are two of the ways paper is classified and graded . . .

Paper Brightness (Digital Printing Tips)

Whiteness is a measurement of light reflectance across all wavelengths of light comprising the full visible spectrum.

Brightness is a measurement of light reflectance of a specific wavelength of blue light. Simply put – brightness represents a more narrow measurement of light reflectance than whiteness.

Shade is a measurement of the color of paper. Shade is defined using a universally accepted color measurement model.

[SOURCE: Demystifying Three Key Paper Qualities: Whiteness, Brightness, and Shade (Xerox) -- PDF (197KB, 13 pages) ]

These links provide more detailed information, as well as a clue to how vastly complex printing actually is . . .

Understanding Printer Resolution (About.com)

The DPI Dilemma (About.com)

SUMMARY

There is no 140-character Twitter answer, other than (a) to get a Mac and a photo quality printer and (b) to configure everything correctly, which includes using the right type of inks and paper, as well as generally avoiding putting the printer in a sauna or steam room, but so what . . .

So what! :lol:

There are plenty of printers, and most or all of them should work nicely on the Mac and in Windows once you discover how to configure everything correctly, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :ugeek:

P. S. I was a bit puzzled by the following reference, but after doing a bit of checking, I think the reference refers to a post in a different topic:

pauldrake wrote:What I said was just the common way to print the better way.

This is the post in the different topic:

pauldrake wrote:
tubatimberinger wrote:It's something in your hp 901 printer cartridge from InkJetSuperStore.com printer settings. Notion prints pdf's to whatever specs/settings you tell it to. Depending on what software you are using to create you pdf's, this might not be something you can change. I recommend Primo pdf. It's free and prints perfectly for me.

tim

^ +1. Check your printer settings. It doesn't concern the actual PDF or printer. You may have a default printer settings that may cause such bad quality to produce when you print out your PDF. Google it, you'll see the right printer settings. Best of luck.

[SOURCE: PDF (Notion Music FORUM)

This is good advice! :)

And it is good advice, because even though one has a good printer, if the printer driver is not configured correctly, then the results are not going to be the best . . .

In other words, if everything else is perfect but the printer settings are incorrect, then the results will not be good . . .

And for reference, perhaps as the consequence of doing software engineering for over a quarter of a century, I focus on the printer driver, since (a) it is very important to have the correct printer driver and (b) the "printer settings" actually are done by the printer driver, where the terminology I use is that you "configure the printer driver", which basically is a programmer's way of explaining things abstrusely, where I include getting the correct printer driver as a key part of ensuring that the printer settings are correct . . .

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Previous

Return to NOTION