Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Expansion Sounds, Bugs or not Bugs ?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Expansion Sounds, Bugs or not Bugs ?

Postby deb76 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:42 am

I bought Expansion Packs Sounds consistent to a certain amount (£ 151.99 while Notion 3 is £ 177.34), hoping to improve the timbre of instruments with a range of additional indications of play. Unfortunately, between what is announced in the list of expansion packs and what I discovered really makes me furious. Apart from a few joints, I see no improvement over the instruments already included in Notion 3.
Yet in the introduction to Chapter 13, I read: Often the thesis sounds for Specialized score markings are available with some expansions download sounds.
So is this a Bug?
I'll give you two examples with the Technical Section Cello and Horn Section installed on my Imac 27.
Expansions in the list of sounds, it is stated that the Cello Techniques Section provides as many playing indications : Sub Pontocello, Sul Ponticello, Tremolo, Natural Harmonics, Artificial Harmonics, Col Legno, Bartok Pizzicato, Tremolo Third Minor, Major Third Tremolo, Tremolo Perfect Four.
Now I have open (harmonics), Bartok Pizz, Lv, con Sord, senza Sord, with mute, arco, pizz, col legno, sul bridge normal.
Do not appear Sul Ponticello, Sul Ponticello Tremolo, Natural and Artificial Harmonics, Tremolo Third Minor, Major Third Tremolo, Tremolo Four Perfect ...
The Horn Section offers: Legato, Vibrato, Trills, Staccato, Flutter Tongue, Straigth Mute Legato, Straight Mute Staccato, Straight Mute Trills, Sytaight Mute Flutter Tongue, Stopped Legato, Staccato Stopped, Stopped Trills, Stopped Flutter Tongue ...
Now I have with Horn section playing indications : Open, straight mute, Stopped, Fluttertongue and Normal ... It is far short !
Indications do not appear to have been instrumental playing that I bought the expansions and sounds great interest to me: : Legato, Vibrato, Trills, Staccato, Flutter Tongue, Straigth Mute Legato, Straight Mute Staccato, Straight Mute Trills, Sytaight Mute Flutter Tongue, Stopped Legato, Staccato Stopped, Stopped Trills, Stopped Flutter Tongue ...
Similarly, while Trumpet Section Trombone Section and have been properly installed on my second computer (i5 windows 7 64 bits), the Cello Section Expansion does not appear. Why? I tried to reinstall but a message says it is already installed ....
I love working with Notion 3, but now with the purchase of its pack, it is a great regret at having spent money for nothing. I should invest in a second license Notion 3, it would have been
PS : I put a link to screenshots from the entries in the list of expansions and sounds I get real :
http://www.d758076.eu/pdf/ComparatifN3Expansion.pdf
deb76

Re: Expansion Sounds, Bugs or not Bugs ?

Postby robsogge » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:25 pm

hi deb76,
my opinion is that not all of the articulations are expected to reside in the tab, but are engaged via normal score writing... things like legato/staccato, trills or tremolos at least do, but I suspect every other articulation as well.
robsogge

Postby deb76 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:33 pm

Hi, robsogge,
Have you looked at the description of the proposed joint with Expansions Sounds? They are listed, right? It's still a selling point. I read: Often the thesis sounds for Specialized score markings are available with Some download sounds expansions.
And I bought the expansions sounds including additional joints, for a variety other than what is normally proposed in Notion3.
Am I to understand that these additional joints (Often the thesis sounds for Specialized score markings are available with expansions Some download sounds) do not exist? I dare not think.
deb76

Postby robsogge » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:04 pm

what I mean is if you want staccato then put dots on the notes, slurs for legato, the fingered tremolo to get minor/major third tremolos, trill symbol on notes where you want trills, harmonic symbols etc... I'm uploading a jpeg of a quick strings score where I've put some of the articulations, and the corresponding mp3.
Attachments
NotionStrings.jpg
NotionStrings.jpg (118.8 KiB) Viewed 6720 times
Notion_Strings_arts.mp3
(665.39 KiB) Downloaded 350 times
robsogge

Postby deb76 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:37 am

Hi, robsogge,
robsogge wrote:what I mean is if you want staccato then put dots on the notes, slurs for legato, the fingered tremolo to get minor/major third tremolos, trill symbol on notes where you want trills, harmonic symbols etc... I'm uploading a jpeg of a quick strings score where I've put some of the articulations, and the corresponding mp3.

Thank you for your response and for taking the time to do a little demo (JPEG and MP3). But I use this articulations for legato, staccato, the harmonqiues, etc.. These are the joints based Notion 3.
But what I'm trying to say (sorry for my bad English) is that I bought sounds expansions for joint specialized as it is written in the User Guide: Often the thesis sounds for Specialized score Some markings are available with download sounds expansions. However, these Specialized score markings do not appear in the technical cell, oboe, viola, etc.. Hence my question is this normal? There there a bug? I bought these sounds Expense for £ 151.99 (which is almost the price of Notion 3), I would like Specialized's score markings are present, appear and I can use http://www.d758076.eu/pdf/ComparatifN3Expansion.pdf
deb76

Postby Admin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:32 am

deb76 wrote:Hi, robsogge,
robsogge wrote:what I mean is if you want staccato then put dots on the notes, slurs for legato, the fingered tremolo to get minor/major third tremolos, trill symbol on notes where you want trills, harmonic symbols etc... I'm uploading a jpeg of a quick strings score where I've put some of the articulations, and the corresponding mp3.

Thank you for your response and for taking the time to do a little demo (JPEG and MP3). But I use this articulations for legato, staccato, the harmonqiues, etc.. These are the joints based Notion 3.
But what I'm trying to say (sorry for my bad English) is that I bought sounds expansions for joint specialized as it is written in the User Guide: Often the thesis sounds for Specialized score Some markings are available with download sounds expansions. However, these Specialized score markings do not appear in the technical cell, oboe, viola, etc.. Hence my question is this normal? There there a bug? I bought these sounds Expense for £ 151.99 (which is almost the price of Notion 3), I would like Specialized's score markings are present, appear and I can use http://www.d758076.eu/pdf/ComparatifN3Expansion.pdf

robsogge has it right....all of the techniques are there. For some techniques you'll need to use score markings (staccato, harmonics, etc..)

This is certainly not a bug, and your instruments seem to be installed correctly.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby robsogge » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:56 am

I think I was posting at the same time as the admin here :) his post kind of make mine useless, but still...

you're welcome, but still I think I'm not fully understood...
You ask: "where are legato, staccato and trills indications?" - I say leg/stacc are obtained via slurs or staccato dots, trills are in the central tab in Notion.
"how to obtain the indications of different articulations?" - same as before, plus combining "straight mute" or "stopped" indications with trills or fluttertongue you get the various articulations...
"where are natural/artificial harmonics?" - the harmonics symbol is the little circle on the left

and the minor third/major third tremolos you hear in my example are not part of the standard Notion sounds, likewise the "col legno", "bartok pizz", ponticello etc...

or I don't understand...
robsogge

Postby deb76 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi,

robsogge has it right....all of the techniques are there. For some techniques you'll need to use score markings (staccato, harmonics, etc..)

you're welcome, but still I think I'm not fully understood...

Thank you for your answers.
So if I understand correctly, the new articulations I have to combine (or addition on) with those of the score. Example, with Trumpets Technical Section, so Staccato+ Straight Mute, staccato + Harmon, Harmon + and Staccato Straight Mute, etc...
In fact, I thought next to the description of sounds expansions, the new articulations were included in addition to their names, adding staccato, legato, trills.
I use the Bank IRCAM Solo Instruments in which the instruments were also the names of their articulations.
Thank you again for your patience.
deb76

Return to NOTION