Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Logic Pro and Re-Wire

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Logic Pro and Re-Wire

Postby oddball1989 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:55 am

Hello,

I've spent the last 3 hours trawling these forums and searching the internet for an answer to this question.

I need to write some music for a small video I have, Notion3 does not have a video feature so I need to Re-Wire Notion3 to Logic Pro 9.

Here is the problem..

I opened Logic, started a new project etc.. I go to create aux channel strip and when I click on 'inputs' Notion3 is not there where as sibelius is (which I also have).. So looking on the internet I have found out that I need a notionrewire.bundle file in MACHD/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/ReWire. this file is not there. can someone tell me where it is so I can put it there?

My Notion3, Logic and Mac are all up to date.

any help will be most welcome.

Neil
oddball1989

Re: Logic Pro and Re-Wire

Postby Surfwhammy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:43 pm

The easiest way to ensure that you have the most current version of ReWire is to download the Reason 6 demo at the Propellerhead Software website and then to install it, since Propellerhead Software is the company that designed and programmed ReWire . . .

[NOTE: Propellerhead Software just released Reason 6, and it has both 32-bit and 64-bit ReWire, so you might want to ponder downloading it for awhile, since I have no idea how the new version of ReWire will work, although I am planning to do some tests "real soon". And after downloading and installing the Reason 6 demo, which I did after making backup copies of Reason 5, it appears that Reason 6 requires using an "Ignition Key" USB dongle for authorization, which makes it a huge hassle. There are some interesting new processors in Reason 6, but the dongle is a show-stopper for me, since I hate dongles and will not use software that requires them. ReWire does not require a dongle, but the problem is getting the ReWire files onto your Mac . . . ]

Reason 6 Download Page (Propellerhead Software)

[IMPORTANT: If you can do ReWire with anything to Logic, then the ReWire files are on your Mac, so all you need to do is enable ReWire for NOTION 3, along with the other stuff . . . ]

If everything is working with other ReWire programs, then you probably have everything you need on your Mac . . .

The key to doing ReWire with NOTION 3 is to enable ReWire, which is done on the "Audio" tab of the "Preferences" dialog that is displayed via the NOTION menu item "Preferences" . . .

[NOTE: I use a 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro currently running OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), and this is the Audio Buffer Size that works best . . . ]

NOTION 3 Preferences ~ "Enable ReWire" Option Set, "256 Samples" for Audio Buffer Size

Once you check or set the "Enable ReWire" option, you need to close NOTION 3 . . .

The order for starting programs is very important, since the first program started becomes the ReWire host controller (if it is programmed to function as a ReWire host controller) . . .

So, you will start Logic first, and then start NOTION 3 after Logic has started . . .

This should be all that you need to do, other than setting NOTION 3 ReWire channels in the NOTION 3 Mixer . . .

There are limits to the number of "heavy" VSTi instruments that a NOTION 3 project can handle on the Mac, and for VSTi instruments from IK Multimedia (a personal favorite) it is best to limit a NOTION 3 score or project to 20 to 25 VSTi instruments with no VST effects plug-ins, since VST effects plug-ins also tend to be "heavy" . . .

NOTION 3 is 32-bits, and this is the limiting factor, since all the VSTi instruments and VST plug-ins are loaded into the same 4GB maximum application workspace . . .

I use NOTION 3 with IK Multimedia VSTi instruments to create what I call "basic rhythm sections", and then I get the NOTION 3 generated audio into Digital Performer 7.24 via ReWire, which works very nicely . . .

It also is important to leave the Audio Buffer Size for NOTION 3 at the default value of "256 samples" . . .

And you need to insert four empty (blank) measures at the start of your NOTION 3 score if you are working with Digital Performer 7.24, as well as never rewinding the Digital Performer 7.24 transport earlier than the start of the 5th measure, otherwise Digital Performer locks-up and NOTION 3 goes into La La Land, which I think is a bug in Digital Performer, since Digital Performer locks-up with an unhandled error . . .

Whether this happens with Logic is another matter, and I have no way to test it at present, since I do not have Logic, although I am contemplating getting Logic, since it supports true panning for stereo tracks, which Digital Performer 7.24 does not support (where instead its "panning" control actually is a balance control) . . .

I have an ongoing topic in this FORUM about doing a lot of vastly complex stuff involving ReWire and other technologies, and there is a lot of information for the Mac there, including some example of how I do what I call "sparkling" an instrument, which is an excellent way to put the notes of an instrument into motion within what I call the "Spherical Sonic Landscape", which is fabulous . . .

[NOTE: I encourage you to read everything in this fabulous topic, because there are a lot of eccentricities in NOTION 3, and it is easier to make everything run like a finely tuned clock when you understand all the rules. The great aspect is that when you follow the rules, everything works wonderfully and accurately. And for reference, it took approximately nine (9) months to discover all the rules, which included at least 1,000 hours of experimenting and testing, during which time if anyone from MOTU, Notion Music, or Propellerhead Software had appeared in the front yard I probably would have chased them out of town with an axe, except that the reality here in the sound isolation studio is that everything works nicely, and it is highly productive and FUN to use when you know the completely and totally undocumented TOP SECRET rules . . . ]

NOTION 3, DISCO Songs, and Sparkles (Notion Music FORUM)

For reference, the way I workaround the 20 to 25 "heavy" VSTi instrument limit is to have a set of NOTION 3 scores (project files) for a song, where there are 5 common instruments for reference points to melody, chords, rhythm, and whatever else makes sense, while the other 20 instruments are new to the particular version of the score or project file . . .

Done this way, you can have as many as 500 to 1,000 "heavy" VSTi instruments in a NOTION 3 "basic rhythm section", but you need to work with them 20 at a time, so if you need 500 "heavy" VSTi instruments, you will have 25 NOTION 3 scores or project files, and you might name this using something like {"Song-PT-1.notion", "Song-PT-2.notion", . . . , "Song-PT-n.notion"} . . .

Yet another key bit of information is that when you set a track to output to a ReWire channel in NOTION 3, you cannot hear the track in the NOTION 3 Mixer, which is vastly annoying, but deal with it . . .

Also, it is best to avoid using Channels 1 through 10, since there are problems with single digit channel numbers, and the last pair that has a single digit channel number is "Channels 9-10", so start with "Channels 11-12" and move upward . . .

And it tends to be best to disable or remove all the VST effects plug-ins in the NOTION 3 Mixer, as well as the very nice NOTION 3 Reverb on the Master stereo channel, since you can do the special effects in Logic, and the general rule is that it is easy to add a special effect but virtually impossible to remove one once it is part of a recorded soundbite. You also want to peg all the NOTION 3 Mixer volume sliders at 0dB, since you can adjust levels in Logic, and it is easier to peg everything to 0dB in NOTION 3. You can adjust the NOTION 3 panning, which is one of the techniques I use when "sparkling" an instrument, but it depends on what you plan to do with each instrument with respect to location. So, if you have no idea what you want to do with location, then set the instrument panning to the full range in NOTION 3 and then fine-tune it in Logic . . .

The Propellerhead Software website has a bit of detailed information on doing ReWire with Logic and other DAW applications, and this information can be helpful, but it does not have any information about NOTION 3, but so what . . .

So what!

ReWire Help Pages (Propellerhead Software)

This is a song I am developing for my pretend musical group (The Surf Whammys), and all the instruments are "heavy" VSTi instruments from IK Multimedia, with the NOTION 3 generated audio recorded in Digital Performer 7.24 via ReWire, where there are approximately 75 or so "heavy" VSTi instruments spread over 5 NOTION 3 scores, all of which are synchronized, which is fabulous . . .

[NOTE: This is a loudspeaker mix done with the ARC System for calibrating the studio monitors, but I was using bookshelf studio monitors, which simply does not work, hence it is best enjoyed while listening with headphones. I am working on a truly amazing solution for the studio monitor problem, which is documented in an ongoing topic in the IK Multimedia FORUM, which started by someone asking an apparently simple question and my replying with a treatise or perhaps dissertation on studio monitors, since I tend to be a bit "chatty", where the basic problem with bookshelf studio monitors--and all the high-end JBL studio monitors--is that none of them go much lower than 45-Hz unless you get deep bass subwoofer, which is mind-bogglingly stupid, since the low-pitch "E" string on an electric bass guitar or string bass is 41.204-Hz. So the solution is to use Kustom KPC15P 15" Powered PA Speakers but to equalize them with a Behringer DEQ2496 Ultra-Curve Pro Mastering Processor to get the frequency range to 20-Hz to 20,000-Hz, which you can do, since these are high-powered PA loudspeakers but you only run them at a low level, hence you can boost the low frequencies to get flat or "equal loudness" response for the entire range of normal human hearing at 80dB to 85dB in a reasonably sized mixing and mastering room. Once the loudspeaker units at equalized, the next step is to do the ARC System calibration, which does the room and phase corrections. The Kustom KPC15P 15" Powered PA Speakers were $129 (US) each at Musician's Friend, but now they are $199 (US) each, which might have nothing to do with my topic on vastly cool and inexpensive studio monitors in the IK Multimedia FORUM, but perhaps not. These are stellar powered loudspeaker units for studio monitor use, and if you want to sound "big", then you need to listen "big", and what you hear needs to be accurate . . . ]

How to work with ARC (IK Multimedia FORUM)

"Feel Me" (The Surf Whammys) -- MP3 (8MB, 300-kbps [VBR], approximately 3 minutes and 38 seconds)

Fabulous! :D

P. S. "Feel Me" will be on the new Surf Whammys album, "Electric Underpants", once I get the studio monitor thing resolved and can hear accurately what I am doing . . .

And if you have any questions or need more help, post a reply, since I check this FORUM every day . . . :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby oddball1989 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:33 am

Im very grateful for your efforts, however, after reading all that you have not answered my question at all..

Why is it that when i create an aux channel strip in logic there is no 'Notion' option for the channel input!?

I have half answered my question before by saying that there is no notionrewire.bundle file in MACHD/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/ReWire

my question is why isnt it there? and how do I put it there!?

Neil
oddball1989

Postby Surfwhammy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:11 pm

oddball1989 wrote:Im very grateful for your efforts, however, after reading all that you have not answered my question at all..

Why is it that when i create an aux channel strip in logic there is no 'Notion' option for the channel input!?

I have half answered my question before by saying that there is no notionrewire.bundle file in MACHD/Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/ReWire

my question is why isnt it there? and how do I put it there!?

Neil

Let's try it a different way . . .

QUESTION: Did you set the "Enable ReWire" option in NOTION 3 Preferences, followed by exiting NOTION 3 and then restarting NOTION 3?

ANSWER: No! You did not do it, but you need to do it . . .

Doing this is the way to create the ReWire bundle file for NOTION 3 . . .

NOTION 3 has everything it needs to do ReWire, but there are some things you need to do in NOTION 3 to get it configured correctly . . .

When I first started making sense of ReWire, this is one of the first things I did, and after doing it the NOTION 3 ReWire channels appeared in Digital Performer, which is the DAW application I use . . .

I never had to mess with "bundle" files or whatever . . .

If you are using a FireWire audio interface, then if you start the various applications in the wrong order, you might need to reboot your Mac and reset the FireWire audio interface, since the order applications are started is very important . . .

You start the application that will be the ReWire host controller first, and then you start the ReWire slave applications, but when you are finished you will close the ReWire slave applications first and then close the ReWire host controller last . . .

Once you set the "Enable ReWire" option in NOTION 3 Preferences and close NOTION 3, the next time you start Logic Pro 9, you should see the NOTION 3 ReWire channels in Logic Pro 9 without NOTION 3 running, which is the way it works with Digital Performer 7 . . .

For reference, this is the 32-bit ReWire installation software, and it is the version that I installed during the time when nothing involving ReWire appeared to be working . . .

[NOTE: To avoid confusion, when I write that "nothing involving ReWire appeared to be working", this mostly was due to my never having done anything with ReWire and having absolutely no idea how it worked. So, this was before I discovered the "Enable ReWire" option in NOTION 3 Preferences, and it was during the time when I had no idea how to configure Digital Performer 6 for ReWire. It also was during the time when I had not discovered the vast importance of starting the ReWire host controller first before starting the ReWire slaves, and so forth and so on. Hence, for the most part I was doing a lot of "experiments" based entirely on guessing, and among other disturbing activities this mapped to needing to reboot the Mac Pro and the MOTU 828mkII frequently, since all my "experimental" guesses happened to hit every "bug" in everything, and this also was during the time when I had not quite understood the equally vast importance of limiting the number of "heavy" VSTi virtual instruments to 20 to 25 per NOTION 3 score (a.k.a., "project file"), which for reference is the safe total number of all instruments in a NOTION 3 score, where this is not a "bug" or problem with NOTION 3, per se, but instead is the direct consequence of NOTION 3 being a 32-bit application, hence the VST and VSTi stuff gets loaded into the same application workspace (at least in part, although I have no idea whether it is entirely loaded or just partial into the same 32-bit application workspace). There was a lot of stuff happening all at once, and having no prior experience with ReWire was not a bonus for making sense of everything. Nevertheless, I kept at it and worked through each problem as it appeared, and after about a month or so everything started working wonderfully, since by that time I had discovered the TOP SECRET undocumented rules. Explained another way, ReWire is a bit like OLE interapplication communication in Windows, where there is an underlying interapplication communication protocol and a lot of other stuff that happens behind the scenes and works very nicely when you follow the rules but otherwise can be pretty gnarly, since among other things it is highly time-dependent and like doing object-based composition and working with "safe arrays" can involve pointers with at least three levels of indirection, which is a bit beyond surreal, but so what . . . ]

ReWire 1.7 Install (Propellerhead Software, Download Page)

The NOTION 3 installation program should install the ReWire support files, but if not then it does no harm to run the ReWire 1.7 install from Propellerhead Software . . .

Regarding using "Aux" channels in Logic Pro 9, this sounds similar to the general instructions for doing ReWire in Digital Performer, but after doing some experiments I discovered that a regular stereo track works just as well, but it is important in Digital Performer to set the "Input" and "Rec" buttons correctly, which also is the case with the Melodyne Editor (Celemony), which incidentally only works with Core Audio (not with the MOTU 828mkII) . . .

There are a lot of rules for doing this stuff, and part of the problem is that everyone tends to presume that the rules are so obvious that there is no need to list them specifically . . .

When I first decided to make sense of ReWIre with NOTION 3 and Digital Performer, it took me approximately three weeks to get something working, and then it took a lot longer to get the procedure to the point of being completely simple and totally accurate, but now I can configure a NOTION 3 score (a.k.a. "project file") for ReWire to Digital Performer in about five minutes, and it is amazingly easy to do . . .

However, as noted in my previous post, I need to insert four empty measures at the start of the NOTION 3 score, which as best as I can determine is needed so that NOTION 3 and Digital Performer 7 can do what in Computer Science is called "handshaking", and I always start the Digital Performer 7 transport no earlier than the first beat of the fifth measure, which I do with a "marker" (like a "bookmark" but for an audio timeline) . . .

And then there is the "avoiding using single digit ReWire channels" thing, which also is easy to do, since I start with the "Channels 11-12" pair and move upward when I need more ReWire channels . . .

If anything, it should be easier to do ReWire with Logic Pro 9, since Apple is very good about following standards and stuff, and as a clue the MOTU folks actually told me to try GarageBand and the Ableton Live demo to verify that ReWire was working correctly, since if it works with GarageBand and Ableton Live, then it definitely will work with Digital Performer. They also suggested downloading and installing the Reason 5 demo, since it puts the required ReWire support files on the Mac . . .

[NOTE: GarageBand only controls the ReWire transport, so there is no recording, but Logic Pro 9 does everything . . . ]

So, another quick test is to run GarageBand and to determine if it GarageBand sees the NOTION 3 ReWire channels . . .

SUMMARY

Something creates the NOTION 3 ReWire "bundle", and setting the "Enable ReWire" option on NOTION 3 Preferences is what causes the NOTION 3 ReWire "bundle" to be created . . .

Since you already appear to have a "Propellerhead Software" folder in the "Application Support" folder under "Library", everything should be there for creating the NOTION 3 ReWire "bundle" . . .

VASTLY IMPORTANT INFORMATION

I did a quick test, where I renamed the original "Notion Device.bundle" file (see above screen capture) to "Notion Device.bundle.jde" and then started NOTION 3 while looking at the "Propellerhead Software" ReWire folder in Mac Finder, and as part of what NOTION 3 does when it starts, the "Notion Device.bundle" file was created automatically, as shown in the following screen capture . . .

And NOTION 3 does this on my Mac Pro, because I have the "Enable ReWire" option set in NOTION 3 Preferences, where "set" maps to "checked" . . .

A BIT OF REALITY

Doing ReWire with NOTION 3 and a DAW involves a lot of very complex real-time computing which is highly time dependent, and this becomes all the more complex with one uses VSTi virtual instruments from IK Multimedia (a personal favorite), and there currently are significant limitations on everything imposed by 32-bit application workspaces . . .

Everything has limitations, including NOTION 3, IK Multimedia virtual instruments, and DAW applications, so the key is to discover how to do what you need to do in a way that is within the bounds imposed by the various operating system and application workspace limitations . . .

Overall, it took me approximately 9 months and 1,000 hours of experimenting, testing, and troubleshooting to discover a fabulous set of rules for doing NOTION 3 "basic rhythm sections", ReWire, and so forth with Digital Performer, and this also includes devising a way to feed exported MIDI to Reason 5 and then to feed the Reason 5 generated audio to Digital Performer in such a way that NOTION 3 always is the foundation or reference point for everything . . .

It did not take me 9 months and 1,000 hours to make sense of ReWire, since this time includes making sense of a lot of other stuff that needs to be done as part of a practical ReWire solution, which includes getting up to speed on music notation and VSTi instruments (which also was a completely new technology for me), as well as all the stuff that Digital Performer requires. During this time, I think it is accurate to say that the ReWire stuff took around three weeks to get working at a reasonably accurate and repeatable level, although getting everything to work as a "system" or "formula" took the entire time. The "system" or "formula" I devised works wonderfully, and it is completely and totally accurate and repeatable in every respect, but it is important to understand that there is a virtual festival of interdependencies among everything, which tends to make it a moving target until you discover all the rules, since not following an otherwise simple rule for one thing can cause other stuff to have problems, and when this happens it takes a while and a lot of experiments to determine the real problem, as contrasted to the spurious effects caused by the real problem. For example, everything can be working marvelously but then you add one too many "heavy" VST effects plug-ins or VSTi virtual instruments, which pushes the 32-bit application workspace into uncharted territory, and then all sorts of strange and bizarre things start happening. If you do not know the "only 20 to 25 'heavy' VSTi virtual instruments in a NOTION 3 score" rule, then it is very easy to start thinking that there is a "bug" in something else, when the only actual problem is that you have too many "heavy" VSTi virtual instruments in the NOTION 3 score . . .

As another example, I think it took approximately 5 days to make sense of the single digit NOTION 3 ReWire channels nonsense, which might be a bug in NOTION 3 but just as easily can be a bug in Digital Performer, and it took about 10 days to discover the "four empty measures at the start of a NOTION 3 score" technique, which is not something that a so-called "normal" person could do, since it requires understanding a lot of Computer Science stuff and realizing that for whatever reason NOTION 3, ReWire, and Digital Performer need a few milliseconds to get synchronized or something . . .

Basically, I am focused on devising ways to make stuff work, and it makes no difference to me which particular software application or technology has a "bug", eccentric behavior, or whatever . . .

One of the things that I like most about NOTION 3 is that there always is a workaround when I encounter an eccentric behavior or something that might be a "bug" . . .

And one of the most useful skills that I developed over the past 35 years of working on advanced computing systems is something I call "scouting around", which is an excellent way to determine precisely what a computer program is doing with the overall goal of devising a way to make it do what you need it to do, and like being an entrepreneur there is no way this can be taught in a formal class . . .

The important thing is that NOTION 3 does ReWire very accurately and reliably on the Mac once you understand and follow the rules, many of which are documented only in my posts to this FORUM, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :D
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby robsogge » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:01 am

just a word to express my appreciation and admiration for your supportive attitude, surfwhammy! wow, I wish there were more people like you around the net!
robsogge

Postby Surfwhammy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:17 pm

robsogge wrote:just a word to express my appreciation and admiration for your supportive attitude, surfwhammy! wow, I wish there were more people like you around the net!

Thanks for the kind words! :)

I like to help people, but it also helps me, since I do a lot of research to verify everything, which maps to a bit of balance . . .

For a while, I was not certain what to call this strategy, but several decades ago I found an great article that Jeff Duntemann wrote for a computing magazine, where Jeff calls it "paying forward" (as contrasted to "paying back"), and I like the concept . . .

"Pay Them Forward" (Jeff Duntemann)

I wrote some technical books on Visual Basic in the early-1990s, which is the way I met Jeff, and he is a character, for sure . . .

For sure!

When Jeff first started publishing computer programming magazines, he did something that he calls "reverse shoplifting", where he would put a few copies of his magazine in a pocket in his trench coat; go to a bookstore; and then put the copies of his magazine in the magazine rack . . .

Inevitably, customers would purchase the magazine, but there would be no database information about the magazine in the bookstore's computer system, so the bookstore clerk would enter the ISBN bar code manually, and then after a while Jeff would start getting automated orders for his computer magazine . . .

Reverse Shoplifting (Jeff Duntemann, "Dr. Dobb's Journal", 1993)

Jeff Duntemann's Contrapositive Diary

If you go to a book publishing convention and see a fellow wearing a 1940s hat and a trenchcoat, it probably is Jeff . . .

On a related note, I am pondering the idea of writing a book about doing digital music production on the Mac using NOTION 3, IK Multimedia virtual instruments (a personal favorite), Digital Performer, and Reason, so doing detailed posts to various FORUMS is a great way to do a bit of writing practice, which is important since there is so much stuff and all of it is highly complex in one way or another, although once you discover the virtual festival of rules it becomes considerably easier . . .

Musicians who are proficient in at least one instrument or singing tend to think that arranging, producing, mixing, and mastering are easy, hence require no actual knowledge or training, but this is a huge fallacy, since in many respects arranging, producing, mixing, and mastering are considerably more complex than playing an instrument proficiently or singing well . . .

I realized this approximately two years ago and switched my focus to arranging, producing, mixing, and mastering, and everything is starting to sound better, but there continues to be a weak link in the chain, which I think is a matter of studio monitors and not being able to hear accurately what I am doing when arranging, producing, mixing, and mastering, so the current focus here in the sound isolation studio is on solving the studio monitor problem, which looks to be coming along nicely . . .

The ongoing studio monitor project is documented in a topic in the IK Multimedia FORUM, and I think that the strategy of using Kustom KPC15P 15" Powered PA Speakers, Behringer DEQ2496 Ultra-Curve Pro Mastering Processor, and the ARC System (IK Multimedia) is going to work wonderfully . . .

How to work with ARC (IK Multimedia FORUM)

Excluding the new plywood platforms and chair for the sound isolation studio, the studio monitoring system costs approximately $750, and I think it will be better than the high-end $5,000 JBL studio monitoring system . . .

The basic problem is that loudspeaker manufacturers stopped designing and building woofers that reproduce low frequencies down to 20-Hz, so even with subwoofer systems to augment the regular studio monitors it is difficult to get a studio monitoring system that reproduces the full range of normal human hearing (20-Hz to 20,000-Hz), and if you cannot hear everything accurately, then George Martin's rule "All you need is ears!" tends to map to spinning wheels in the grand scheme of everything . . .

How can you mix and master a song for a band where the bass player is playing an electric bass guitar when the studio monitors only go to 45-Hz when the low-pitch "E" string of an electric bass guitar or string bass is 41.204-Hz?

Electric Bass ~ Standard Tuning ("Concert A" = 440Hz)

It makes no sense, and while it might be a bit on the subtle side--since the lower frequencies are heard, but not at equal loudness--I think it is important to be able to hear everything accurately, which basically requires a studio monitoring system that has an frequency range of 20-Hz to 20,000-Hz at equal loudness at a sound pressure level (SPL) of 80dB to 85dB, and this maps to needing 15" woofers . . .

Bookshelf sized studio monitors are fine for verifying that a mix sounds reasonably good on bookshelf sized loudspeaker systems, but it is not the same as hearing everything "big", and I think that hearing everything "big" is vastly important, for sure . . .

For sure! :)
Last edited by Surfwhammy on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby Surfwhammy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:14 pm

oddball1989 wrote:Why is it that when i create an aux channel strip in logic there is no 'Notion' option for the channel input!?

As a bit of follow-up, while enabling ReWire via the NOTION 3 Preferences dialog ("Audio" tab) will create the required ReWire "bundle" file for NOTION 3, it is important to remember that NOTION 3 and ReWire v1.7 are 32-bit only, so you also need to run Logic Pro 9 in 32-bit mode, as explained in these knowledge base articles from Apple:

Logic Pro and MainStage 64-bit FAQ (Apple)

The following features are available only when running Logic Pro 9.1 or later, or Logic Express 9.1.1 or later in 32-bit mode.

Firewire streaming of video
Digital Cinema Desktop
OMF import and export
Recycle (REX) file support
ReWire support
Vienna Symphonic Library Tool
Logic Node processing
AKAI format sample import
Internal Apple QuickTime Synthesizer
Export audio to movie
Transport controls in movie window

[SOURCE: Logic Pro 9.1.x, Logic Express 9.1.x: Some features may not be available in 64-bit mode (Apple) ]

However, based on my testing with NOTION 3, 32-bit ReWire (v1.7), and Digital Performer 7.24, you can run OS X 10.6.8 in 64-bit mode, since the operating system adjusts itself based on the mode in which applications are run, where for reference Digital Performer 7.24 also is a 32-bit application . . .

Everything is a bit complex, but it works when you follow the rules, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :)
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby Lunarboy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Hello.

When I try to make an aux channel in Logic (to Rewire to Notion), I do not have the choice of creating a stereo pair, even when I make sure to select Stereo in the drop down menu. Any advice?

Screen shot 2011-10-11 at 1.12.52 PM.png
Screen shot 2011-10-11 at 1.12.52 PM.png (444.94 KiB) Viewed 11157 times
Lunarboy

Postby Surfwhammy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:47 am

Lunarboy wrote:When I try to make an aux channel in Logic (to Rewire to Notion), I do not have the choice of creating a stereo pair, even when I make sure to select Stereo in the drop down menu. Any advice?

I use DIgital Performer 7.24 (MOTU), so all I can do at present is guess about the way Logic Pro works, but you might try creating a simple stereo auxiliary track with standard input and output as the first step . . .

Then, after you have created a stereo auxiliary track successfully, modify it to do ReWire . . .

In other words, separate the ReWire assignment from the creation of the stereo auxiliary track . . .

For reference, the Digital Performer documentation also suggests using an auxiliary track, but auxiliary tracks in Digital Performer look different and have a different functionality that I did not like, so I use regular stereo tracks and simply assign the inputs to a pair of ReWire channels from NOTION 3, which works nicely and avoids the problem of having different types of tracks . . .

If you are seeing only the left channel in the ReWIre assignment, then this probably is due to the auxiliary channel being monaural, which might be due to the way the Output is assigned, which is another possibility . . .

The Output of the auxiliary channel probably needs to be the stereo Master track, which in Digital Performer is "1-2" . . .

In some respects, getting the bundles, bus routing, channel assignments, input and output matrices, and all that stuff is like magic, and it makes no sense to me, but when it is done correctly everything works, but when anything is incorrect, nothing works, so I experiment with different settings until everything works, which is not the most scientific strategy, but it makes sense to me . . .

Logic Pro does ReWire, so it mostly is a matter of getting everything configured correctly . . .

It took me a while to discover how to get Digital Performer configured correctly for ReWire, but I got it working, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :)
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby reubenstone » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:50 am

Hey there Surfwhammy,

I need your help! so I have read all of the amazing posts you have written about getting ReWire to work with Notion 3 and Logic Pro 9 and I still just can't get it to work.

I have downloaded Reason Demo, ReWire update 1.7.

I have enabled ReWire in Notion 3 and the file Notion Device.bundle has been created in the Propellorhead/ReWire folder.

I am in 32 bit mode as well.

I have watched your videos from start to finish and followed all instructions but there still seems to be something I am not doing right!

The problem at the moment: In logic when I am creating new AUX tracks I still don't have the option to select Notion 3 - it is just not there.

Any help is much appreciated. I'm not as tech savvy as you but will do my best,

Cheers.
reubenstone

Next

Return to NOTION