Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

N3 Samples

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

N3 Samples

Postby composer » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:51 pm

I've had N3 for a few days and have been tinkering around. Some of the samples are nice but some are not. The Oboe seems to have no vibrato. The Bass Clarinet is very loud. Overall, I am wondering how I can effectively use these samples. N2 samples played in N3 seem to work a lot nicer. Are these N3 samples the same samples at N2 just tweaked?
composer

Re: N3 Samples

Postby Damp Sneaker » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:09 pm

I just purchased N3 and was wondering if I should install the N2 samples or not from disk 2. I'll take your comment as a suggestion that I should. ;) About the Bass Clarinet..couldn't you adjust with the new mixer? My understanding is that the N3 samples are new and done with close microphones (as opposed to what, I'm not sure).

composer wrote:I've had N3 for a few days and have been tinkering around. Some of the samples are nice but some are not. The Oboe seems to have no vibrato. The Bass Clarinet is very loud. Overall, I am wondering how I can effectively use these samples. N2 samples played in N3 seem to work a lot nicer. Are these N3 samples the same samples at N2 just tweaked?
Damp Sneaker

Postby dcoscina » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:20 pm

THey are not new but rather edited from the original sampling sessions to be close mic'd from what I understand from Lubo. I agree that some of the samples are terrific while the oboe and flute are almost indistinguishable in tone from one another. But hey, it's a ver. 1.0 so there are bound to be some quirks as with any product. Also remember that this is not only a notation program but a library too so there are more things to keep straight when the developers are working on it.
dcoscina

Postby astinov » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:55 pm

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. Let me just add some clarity here.

The N2 samples are the same sounds you had in Notion2, only the "decays" are now taken care of by the reverb. The main differences are as follows:

N2 samples are multi-mic'd (a combination of several mics), not all of them are stereo and are very strictly looped. Which means that sometimes you are looping a very small fraction of the recorded sample. N3 samples are all stereo, close mic'd and as best as it is possible we allow the sound to develop well into the sample, thus hearing its natural timbre changes. The result is a much more natural sound. N2 samples also have fewer dynamic layers. The new Horn and I believe also the Trombones in NOTION3 have 7 dynamic layers, which means you are getting a much more responsive instrument in terms of timbre.

Overall, the N3 sounds are richer and more flexible and they include a lot more instruments and techniques that what used to be bundled with N2. You can tweak their position in the stereo field by adjusting the reverb parameters and you can make them blend with other sounds in your projects. They sound dry on their own, just as if you are sitting right next to the person playing the instrument. We decided to go this route because this means that the spacial positioning of your intsrtument is entirely in your control - whether you want a small concert hall feeling or a big large opera house sound, or maybe a close intimate Jazz setting - you can achieve this sonic quality much better with the new sound.It does take a bit more audio production and mixing knowledge this way, but we have provided good default reverb settings to get you started.

That being said, in the almost 8GB of N3 sounds, there are bound to have some issues here and there and we are glad when those are pointed out so we can schedule them and address them.

It is really up to you to use whichever sounds you'd like, thats why we provided you with all of them. This is yet another addition to NOTION's arsenal of features that we believe sets this product apart from its competitors.

Thanks,

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby Lurker » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:29 am

composer wrote: The Bass Clarinet is very loud.

Just for information:

In a score originally done in Notion 1.5 and saved in Notion 2, the Notions 3 Bass Clarinet enters very loudly despite a p marking. I've re-inserted the p, but it makes no difference. The Bass Clarinet then encounters a diminuendo and reverts to a more or less normal volume and remains there. So far it's only the Bass Clarinet, and usually only its initial entry.
Lurker

Looping Problems

Postby DrH » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:34 pm

I would just like to add that there are also a *significant* number of looping problems in many of of the instruments on many pitchs.

For example:

In the solo strings, the Violin cuts out almost immediately on C4 (C above middle C), the Cello's loop point is audible and obvious, and the Double Bass is almost machine-gun once it starts going into the loop.

In the ensemble strings, Violins I and II have a brief, high-pitch whistle at their loop points (you have to put your ears on and listen closely, but it's there) and the Basses get off to an uneven start (as if everyone in the section didn't start playing at the same time).

My hope is that (a) the Notion sample engineers will re-check each sample and fix any problems and (b) this find-and-fix process will be put at the top of the to-do list given the importance of realiable playback.

Thnx!

DrH
DrH

Postby astinov » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi DrH,

Yes we are aware of those problems and they are scheduled for fixing. I believe, if I'm not mistaken, this issue was already discussed in a thread.

Thanks,

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby Timoty » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:27 pm

Some of the N2 Samples are missing!

Most importantly, Wine Glasses which I used on several scores. Also a few of the percussion samples play back as piano effectively ruining my piece. Are there plans to bring these back?

Also, I may just be crazy, but the N3 solo strings seem to play out of tune with each other after they hit the fortissimo mark.

Anyone else noticing this?

-Tim
Timoty

Return to NOTION