Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

My wish list after using Notion for about a month

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

My wish list after using Notion for about a month

Postby TylerE » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:03 pm

So, after doing a fair bit of experimentation, here's my current wishlist. I work with a wide of variety of styles, from small classical ensemble music to modern rock. I've entered a fair bit of stuff off IMSLP and this has also given man an appreciation for good musical typography. Most of the scans are of editions, mainly from the late 19th century.

I have a feeling that some of this may well be possible, and it's just not clear from the doc how to do it.

PS: I don't want this to sound like a gripe-fest. Overall I'm pretty happy with Notion, especially at the price point.

General

1. User editable multi-measure rests. It's often nice to be able to break long rests into sub-rests, to indicate phrasing and structure.

2. Courtesy accidentals. Most classical parts always use courtesy accidentals. Notion never does.

3. Automatic cues - select a one or more rests, have a drop-down "Insert cue" that would then prompt for a track. This would import the notes from that track as cue notes and place the instrument name as text.

4. Repeat variations. Basically a way to "double" enter a passage, and specify which repeat that applies to. Basically this is to allow repeats with minor variations. This makes it easier to capture musical intent since, say, rather than totally copy a section of 8 measures, and duplicating it, you can notate the actual difference (say, additional percussion in the 2nd repeat or something). If anyone has the Beatles' "Complete Scores" this is used in just about every song, allowing many to fit in just a handful of pages, while still capturing all the nuance.

4b. More flexible numbered endings. For most of the same reasons as my last point.

5. More flexible layout options. Most computer notation programs seem to like to use lots of horizontal space, even in relatively simple passages. It would be nice to be able to tighten those up.

Guitar/Bass Specific

1. Implement slides to/from nothing. The actual note slid to should probably be +/- 3 frets or so. Very common in rock at the end of a phrase, where the intent is more of a sound effect than the desire to play a specific pitch.

2. Slides from grace notes

3. Attach bends to individual sub-notes of a tied note. Now they always attach to the first note, even if the intent is to have say a half note that doesn't get bent at all until the last 8th.

4. Rythmn slashes should alter the notes in tab also.

5. Show/hide tab at measure boundaries. So the verse can be rythmn slashes notated on the normal staff only, but the solo is tabbed, etc. More of a space saver.

6. Would it be possible to have some sort of text markup that could tie into effect module parameters. I'm thinking in particular of being able to control automation in Amplitube so that effects can be toggled on an off, pedals rocked, etc.
TylerE

Re: My wish list after using Notion for about a month

Postby robsogge » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:55 pm

point 1 is already possible, inserting a double barline... I second #2.
I have a wishlist as well, will post it soon...
robsogge

Postby elerouxx » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:07 pm

It's a nice ideia to put together some wish lists. Maybe the Notion team can see that there are items that are repeated in most of the lists. I urgently need courtesy accidentals and also time changes. There's a serious lack of courtesy from Notion :)
elerouxx

Postby composerwithnotion3 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:58 am

I'd also add:

1. a DVD with movie tutorials. I hate manuals. Not so much the paper ones, but certainly the PDF ones....you cannot highlight anything or take notes and you have to waste your time printing. We are customers and we want an easier life. :D Programs like Sony Movie studio has videos tutorials on a dvd. Nothing to do with notation software, yet Sony movie studio is 35 bucks or something. I think this should be added in Notion 3.

2. a function to insert or delete measures after notating, so as to change the structure of the piece at will.
composerwithnotion3

Return to NOTION