Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

stop/prevent auto-scrolling?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

stop/prevent auto-scrolling?

Postby dgriffee » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:13 am

anybody figured out a way to stop (or at least avoid) the automatic scrolling of score that jumps suddenly as the playback marker reaches each measure boundary? It is very disorienting/annoying/confounding/etc... so I am wondering how other folks cope with it. Maybe there is some workaround, or a habit in how you operate the window, or whatever can be done (or not done) in order to avoid the automatic jumping backwards/forwards of the score display position when you are working on details around either side of particular barline?
dgriffee

Re: stop/prevent auto-scrolling?

Postby thorrild » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:32 am

I don't think there is a way to disable or alter the scrolling behavior. Things I have found to be helpful when working on a particular measure over and over:

A large monitor is your friend. If you are a Mac user, start thinking about getting one of those wonderful 27-inch displays. Lots of monitor real estate dramatically reduce frustration and disorientation. It also cuts down on errors, as it is somehow easier to proofread a large sheet of music than a small one. If you are a Windows user (which I am not), it is my impression that large monitors are considered a bit of a luxury. Believe me, it shouldn't be.

Try the different views available: If you are working in either of the two page views (across and down), that tends to introduce irritating jumps. Continuous view is often better when you are doing detailed editing.

It sounds a little like your measures are sometimes very wide. If the instrument you are editing is not the culprit in forcing the extra width, then temporarily turning off the display of the "busy" instrument will slim down that spot in your score and reduce any unwanted scrolling.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Re: stop/prevent auto-scrolling?

Postby David Smith » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:57 am

The one thing you can do in the case you're referring to (jumping to a different pg across a barline is to switch to continuous view when editing this area--not a perfect sol'n. I usually work on "page across" view, especially with a few pts, but with orch scores, I often toggle views to handle this problem. This is an issue in some way with most software tools when the editing area is variable (excel, CAD tools, illustration, etc), and the zoom, pan, arrow-keys, page step, autoscroll, etc. are all strategies to handle a limited screen size and screen resolution (and eyes resolution). [multiple big screens, good glasses]

(I've used a dual screen system for many, many years; currently, it's a 24" imac in center, with 21" monitor on left for palettes, mixers, help scrns. It's a much better sol'n than a wide screen, esp. for graphics software and multi-window music tools.)
David Smith

Return to NOTION