Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Instrument Section Samples

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Instrument Section Samples

Postby alexg » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Hi,

A noob question:

When using section samples I assume that to be orchestrally correct, they should only be used for unisons and not harmony otherwise there would be an unatural doubling of instruments e.g. playing 3rds using a flute duo patch would result in 4 flutes. Or do we ignore this fact in order to get a richer mockup sound?

Alex
alexg

Re: Instrument Section Samples

Postby pcartwright » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:11 pm

Personally, I think it is best to use two solo flute sounds (assuming you have two independent parts and are not doubling a single part in unison) if you're going for a more "authentic" sound. Fortunately, Notion has the Notion3 flute as well as the Notion2 flute at your disposal. Using two different sampled flutes helps avoid phasing problems/distortions that may occur when reusing the same patch for different parts (for example, using the Notion3 flute for both the first and second chair flutes). Of course, you can also use the GPO, Miroslav, VSL, or EWQL flutes if you have them available. Using a "two flutes" patch for a line where flutes are playing in unison is perfectly fine in the traditional orchestration sense.

However, if you aren't fussed with authentic orchestrations or if you don't care for traditional orchestral combinations, then I suggest using whatever patch sounds the best for that particular moment in the piece (this may be cliche, but it's true).
pcartwright

Re: Instrument Section Samples

Postby dcoscina » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:18 am

Is there some way of Notion automatically switching to section samples when you indicate a4 or something like a unison indication? That would be sweet!
dcoscina

Return to NOTION