Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Odd little hiccup with Snow Leopard

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Odd little hiccup with Snow Leopard

Postby newtonia » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:35 pm

Having just been ensnared into the Invasion of the Bodysnatchers type cult of Mac, I am now officially signed up to give my first born to the Lord Jobs. Have to say, so far seems like a bargain, but have found an odd little quirk. It''s more of a trifling inconvenience than a glitch, but having loaded my aged copy of notion onto my power mac, I find that to get it to run, I have to re-run the update patch to get it to open, otherwise it just comes up with an error. Only takes a couple of seconds,so it's no biggie, but just seems strange. Any ideas why? It's the most up to date copy of Snow Leopard.
newtonia

Re: Odd little hiccup with Snow Leopard

Postby Surfwhammy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:51 pm

newtonia wrote:Having just been ensnared into the Invasion of the Bodysnatchers type cult of Mac, I am now officially signed up to give my first born to the Lord Jobs. Have to say, so far seems like a bargain, but have found an odd little quirk. It''s more of a trifling inconvenience than a glitch, but having loaded my aged copy of notion onto my power mac, I find that to get it to run, I have to re-run the update patch to get it to open, otherwise it just comes up with an error. Only takes a couple of seconds,so it's no biggie, but just seems strange. Any ideas why? It's the most up to date copy of Snow Leopard.

It will be easier to get help if you are more specific about the Mac computer model and the version of NOTION . . .

(1) Mac OS X Snow Leopard only runs on Intel-based Macs, but the "power mac" is a PPC-based computer, so perhaps you have a Mac Pro?

(2) By "aged copy of notion", are you referring to a previous version of NOTION rather than to NOTION 3?

(3) What is the "update patch"?

NOTION 3 works very nicely on the Apple computers running Mac OS X Snow Leopard, for sure . . .

For sure! :)

P. S. If you are on an Intel-based Mac and are running NOTION 3, then one possibility is that you have a NOTION 3 icon in the Dock that is pointing to the older version before the "update patch" was applied . . .

You can look in the "Applications" folder to determine whether there are two version of "NOTION 3.app", which might be the case. If there are two versions, then the newer one probably is the patched version, and it will be the one you want to have in the Dock, which you can verify by checking the version number once the application is running . . .

This happens with some applications, but it depends on the way the application is named . . .

For example, MOTU includes the version number in the application name for Digital Performer, so after doing the 7.24 update there are two applications in the "Applications" folder ("Digital Performer 7.23.app" and "Digital Performer 7.24.app"). So if the application in the Dock points to "Digital Performer 7.23.app", then it will appear that the upgrade was not applied, when the only problem is that the application in the Dock is the previous version, and the solution is to remove the previous version from the Dock, followed by starting the new version and then setting its Dock option to keep it in the Dock . . .

This might be what is happening, but perhaps not . . .

Another possibility is the privilege setting for the account you are using, which typically should have Administrator privileges. If you are using a lower privilege account but temporarily elevate it to Administrator privileges, this might cause the problem . . .

And you probably want to call Notion Music technical support, since they can provide more help on update patches and so forth . . .
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby newtonia » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:17 am

Thanks Surfwhammy,

You were absolutely right, the older version of notion (Notion 3.0.0) was in the dock. Having replaced it with the latest patch it all just launches fine. You were also right about it being a MAC Pro as opposed to a power mac. Still got a lot to learn about using a mac I guess.

Thanks a lot.

newtonia
newtonia

Postby Surfwhammy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:29 am

newtonia wrote:Thanks Surfwhammy,

You were absolutely right, the older version of notion (Notion 3.0.0) was in the dock. Having replaced it with the latest patch it all just launches fine. You were also right about it being a MAC Pro as opposed to a power mac. Still got a lot to learn about using a mac I guess.

Thanks a lot.

newtonia

Glad to help! :)

Everything runs very nicely on Intel-based Apple computers, and the Mac Pro is an excellent machine, for sure . . .

For sure!

On a related topic, if you are interested in doing Rock and Roll, Heavy Metal, DISCO, Pop, and Flamenco songs, you can download SampleTank FREE from the IK Multimedia website, which includes 500MB of sound samples for various synthesizers, drumkits, guitars, and so forth, all of which works nicely with Notion 3 . . .

SampleTank FREE (IK Multimedia)

IK Multimedia has a 15 Year Anniversary Group Buy extravaganza in progress that runs through September 15, 2011, and it is an excellent way to get some very useful hardware and software for doing digital music production. The rules are a bit complex, but the key is that the qualifying product needs to be a "hardware" product if your goal is to get a product that involves hardware, since the "free" product(s) can only be downloadable software products . . .

15 Year Anniversary Group Buy (IK Multimedia)

At present, the "group buy" is at 2X1, which maps to getting one "free" software-only downloadable product when you purchase a qualifying product, but historically the IK Multimedia "group buy" extravaganzas nearly always get full participation, so it is quite likely that this "group buy" will go to 3X1, although it is not guaranteed . . .

Another key bit of information is that once you purchase a qualifying product, you then become eligible for "crossgrade" pricing, which is very important, since it maps to a lower purchase price but you get full credit for the manufacturer's suggested retail price for purposes of receiving JAM Points, which is another type of customer loyalty discounting, and there is a 15YEARS discount code that reduces the price by 15 percent . . .

I have a degree in Computer Science, and it took me about a week to make sense of all the rules, but I did it, and it can map to an overall discount of perhaps 80 percent, depending on which products you select and whether the "group buy" goes to 3X1 . . .

Yet another very important bit of information is that doing professional quality songs requires, among other things, (a) doing loudspeaker mixing and mastering with calibrated loudspeaker monitors and (b) advanced mixing and mastering tools, especially for the aforementioned genres (Rock and Roll, Heavy Metal, DISCO, Pop, Flamenco, and so forth, which obviously includes Rhythm and Blues and Jazz) . . .

For Classical and other flavors of chamber, orchestral, and symphonic music, it is important to have a calibrated loudspeaker monitoring system, but there is less overall emphasis on having and using advanced mixing and mastering tools, at least from the perspective of "pumping" everything, since in these genres the emphasis is more on having a nearly absurd dynamic range for which "pumping" is the antithesis, although personally I find it quite annoying when any type of music ranges from "pppp" to "ffff", so I run it through a compressor to eliminate all the dynamics, since it is easier to hear everything when all the instruments and voices are at essentially the same volume and loudness levels, which of course greatly annoys audiophiles, but so what . . .

So what!

One strategy is to get the full price version of the ARC System as the qualifying "hardware" product for the 15 Year Anniversary Group Buy, which for reference is a "hardware" product because it has a calibrated microphone but otherwise is a software and VST plug-in product . . .

If you use the 15YEARS promotional discount code, this reduces the full price by 15 percent, but you get qualifying credit for the manufacturer's suggested retail price, and it is best to get it from the IK Multimedia Store, since they have the lowest price and you get the 15 percent discount by using the promotional code . . .

Once you receive the ARC System package, which is shipped and arrives within a week or so, you can register it, which then qualifies you for crossgrade pricing, and the next step is to select the first "free" product, which if you do not have T-RackS 3 Deluxe makes it the best selection, except that you select the T-RackS 3 Deluxe Crossgrade as your "free" software-only downloadable product . . .

Then, if the "group buy" goes to 3X1, you can select CSR Classik Studio Reverb as your second "free" downloadable product, which is an excellent set of reverberation VST plug-ins and in the grand scheme of everything maps to getting $1,029.97 (US) of great stuff for $299.99 (US) based on full manufacturer's suggested retail pricing and maps to a 70 percent discount . . .

If you play guitar or keyboards, then you can get the AmpliTube 3 Pedal as the qualifying product for a second "group buy" activity, which is covered by the rules and with the 15YEARS promotional discount costs $339.99 (US), and then you can get the Total Workstation 2 Instrument Bundle as the first "free" product, which gets you SampleTank XL, SampleMoog, SampleTron, Sonik Synth 2, and Miroslav Philharmonik, which maps to 28GB of sound samples, all of which work nicely with Notion 3. If the "group buy" goes to 3X1, then you can get a second "free" software-only downloadable product, which might be AmpliTube Fender or whatever else looks like a bit of FUN to add to the collection . . .

As an example, this is the current song I am developing for my pretend musical group (The Surf Whammys), and all the instrumental stuff is done with music notation and IK Multimedia virtual instruments in Notion 3, which I record in Digital Performer 7.24 (MOTU) as soundbites via ReWire, where Digital Performer is the ReWire host and it controls Notion 3, which generates the actual audio . . .

Once the Notion 3 generated audio is recorded in Digital Performer 7.24 as soundbites via ReWire, I do a bit of additional instrument processing and producing using some of the T-RackS 3 Deluxe VST plug-ins and then master everything with the T-RackS 3 Deluxe "Master 1" mastering suite as a loudspeaker mix using the ARC System VST plug-in. I also use CSR Classik Studio Reverb on the snare drum rimshots and single vocal track, which for the single vocal track includes doing pitch correction and fine-tuning with the Melodyne Editor (Celemony) and a bit of advanced echo processing with the Timeless 2 (FabFilter Software Instruments) VST plug-in, as well as making the vocal track sound like it was sung through an orange juice can telephone with the TrackPlug 5 (Wave Arts) VST plug-in, which is a nice effect for those folks who after having a patently disturbing epiphany and moment of clarity realize that while (a) they definitely sing better than Bob Dylan, unfortunately (b) they do not sing better than Elvis Presley, hence need a bit of vastly elaborate vocal processing, which is fabulous . . .

"Feel Me" (The Surf Whammys) -- July 28, 2011 -- MP3 (8MB, 300-kbps [VBR], approximately 3 minutes and 38 seconds)

Fabulous!

It took me about a year to make sense of music notation and virtual instruments--although technically I have been able to sight-sing treble clef Classical music for over half a century as the consequence of being in a liturgical boys choir as a young Surfwhammy, except that there were no personal computers in those days and I was a soprano, which for the most part I only realized in an immediately conscious way about 18 months ago, at which time I switched to singing mostly baritone and tenor--and this included a lot of experimenting to devise an accurate, repeatable, and verified system for doing silly DISCO and Pop songs about ladies underpants, which included discovering how to do Dubstep, Techno, and Trance stuff with music notation and IK Multimedia virtual instruments in Notion 3 on the Mac . . .

Now it all is making excellent sense, and soon I will have five songs for the upcoming "Electric Underpants™" album, which is a bit beyond silly but is a lot of FUN and is an excellent way to avoid becoming completely and totally bored by music notation and all that stuff, which has the additional bonus of creating a new and vastly silly subgenre of DISCO and Pop, all of which started on January 1, 2010 when I composed and recorded "(I Want) Angela Gossow's Underpants (Ya-Ya-Ya)" after consuming vast quantities of very strong coffee and becoming a bit annoyed by the lyrics for "Ravenous" (Arch Enemy), which naturally led to metaphorically spanking Angela Gossow for "singing" the pseudo-lyrical phrase "carnivorous Jesus", really . . .

"Ravenous" (Arch Enemy) -- YouTube music video

[NOTE: This was done before I discovered Notion 3 and IK Multimedia virtual instruments, so all the instruments are real. Overall, I like IK Multimedia virtual instruments better, since they have good recording levels, but I continue to do real lead guitar solos, since there is no way I can transcribe all the stuff I do on lead guitar using music notation. And regarding the value of knowing a little bit about Classical music, this song is a bit of a parody of "The Hall of the Mountain King" (Edvard Grieg), which is where Jimi Hendrix got the idea for his stellar opening guitar part for "Purple Haze", which is a bit mind-boggling in a patently surreal way . . . ]

"(I Want) Angela Gossow's Underpants (Ya-Ya-Ya)" (The Surf Whammys) -- YouTube music video

Really! :o

P. S. If you need any help with Notion 3 on the Mac, let me know, but there is a lot of highly detailed information on Notion 3 and the Mac in the following topic in this FORUM, for sure . . .

Notion 3, DISCO Songs, and Sparkles (Notion Music FORUM)

For sure! :ugeek:
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Return to NOTION