Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

WHERE IS NOTION 4 AND LION SUPPORT????

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

WHERE IS NOTION 4 AND LION SUPPORT????

Postby themeworks » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:48 am

Guys,

You are killing me. Literally killing me.....

Where is Lion Support? NOW!

Where is Notion 4????? I understand you are excited about the iPad , but dammit - nobody composes not he iPad. Avid just released their 40GB elephant called Sibelius 7. I just installed it - IT BLOWS! It's HORRIBLE! Literally a joke.

You guys and Logic get BETTER and BETTER
Avid and Finale/whatever get worse and worse.

NOW --

a) Symphobia and Symphobia 2, Kontakt 4 (soon 5) VSL built in support - instruments, articulations, the works. NOW.
b) Video and timecode support NOW
c) Conductor score and proper film-scoring notation capabilities - NOW
d) Lion support NOW
e) Flexible score layout, engraving options, fonts... stuff for PROs to use NOW

Go ahead and charge more -- $599, $799, $999, heck - I don't care - JUST GET IT TO US - WE ARE DYING OUT HERE ....

I cannot even run Notion3 now on Lion -- which I should be able to...

Come on notion. PLEASE.....
themeworks

Re: WHERE IS NOTION 4 AND LION SUPPORT????

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:17 am

The development and release cycle for Mac OS X Lion has been quite strange and more than a tiny bit atypical, for sure . . .

For sure!

Overall, I think it is a combination of things, but the odd aspect is that none of the third-party vendors appear to have anything ready for Mac OS X Lion, and this includes companies that have been doing products in the Mac universe for a decades, but so what . . .

So what!

Since I run everything on a 2.1-GHz 8-core Mac Pro that has easily accessed internal drive bays, the strategy I devised several weeks ago is to get an internal hard drive and then to use SuperDuper! to clone my Mac OS X Snow Leopard drive . . .

This way, I can do the Mac OS X Lion upgrade to the real Mac OS X Snow Leopard drive but have the cloned and verified copy drive to continue running Mac OS X Snow Leopard, although I might do it in reverse, where I make the cloned and verified drive the Mac OS X Lion drive . . .

The obvious advantage of this strategy is that I can impress my geeky friends by running Mac OS X Lion when they stop by the sound isolation studio for cappuccino and to get an update on my efforts to obtain a pair of Britney Spears' underpants, but once they leave I can boot to Mac OS X Snow Leopard and actually do a bit of meaningful work, for sure . . .

For sure! :D

Basically, I use the MOTU folks as a bellwether, and the fact of the matter is that they released Digital Performer 7.24 a few days ago--after Mac OS X Lion was released--to get Digital Performer 7 compatible with Mac OS X Lion, and my thinking is that if the MOTU folks do it after the fact, then this sets the standard, since the MOTU folks have been doing highly advanced Mac stuff for a long time, hence if the MOTU foiks decide to wait until after the official release, then this is the "goto" strategy . . .

So, instead of wasting a lot of time messing with Mac OS X Lion this week, I continued having a bit of FUN with Mac OS X Snow Leopard, where I calibrated the loudspeaker monitors in the sound isolation studio with the ARC System (IK Multimedia) and then recorded the Notion 3 generated virtual instruments for "Feel Me" (The Surf Whammys) into Digital Performer 7.24 as soundbites via ReWire, followed by singing the lead vocals one time, although I did practice it once to verify the microphone levels, which is based on my new strategy of actually composing and practicing a melody before recording it, really . . .

[NOTE: This is a loudspeaker mix done with calibrated loudspeaker monitors. It only has singing on the verses, and I have not done the real lead guitar solos and backup harmony bits, but so what. For reference, all the instruments are done with music notation and IK Multimedia virtual instruments in Notion 3 on the Mac, but I move everything to Digital Performer when I switch to doing the singing, real lead guitar, mixing, and mastering . . . ]

"Feel Me" (The Surf Whammys) -- July 28, 2011 -- MP3 (8MB, 300-kbps [VBR], approximately 3 minutes and 38 seconds)

Really! :ugeek:

P. S. I fully understand the desire to be state-of-the-art and all that stuff, but it is important to focus on the practical side of things, which is that it will be a while before everything is fully 64-bits, hence the key is to have a strategy for the long run . . .
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby twnd » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:29 am

Yes... we need lion support (at least...)
twnd

Postby pcartwright » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:50 am

themeworks wrote:NOW!

Really? I don't think being rude is going to push Notion into supporting these options any faster.

Regards
pcartwright

Postby Francois2010 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:30 am

I like Notion3, but I lost confidence about his support.
I love Notion ! I love to compose !
Native langage french. Be patient with my English.
Francois2010

Postby bogdan1 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:17 pm

pcartwright wrote:
themeworks wrote:NOW!

Really? I don't think being rude is going to push Notion into supporting these options any faster.

Regards

I totally agree with pcartwright !!
If you look to OSX lion thread you're going to find that Notion responded immediately about the possibility of having the program integrated in Lion . The response was that is going to be ready in few weeks. I don't say that we don't need some updates but regarding Lion it was a response .
As long as the company has not declared yet that Notion is abandoned , we have to wait a bit ( or more)...otherwise what we can do ..pushing the things verbally doesn't help at all !!
bogdan1

Postby themeworks » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:19 pm

Guys,

Sigh. Thanks for calling me names and missing the point of my post. Unreal. What is with you?

Seriously - my zeal, my passion is that I LOVE NOTION -- and yet we've had NOTHING in the way of ANY feature updates, sound updates, new plugins (for Kontakt, Symphobia, Cinesamples, etc) in FOREVER.....

It's such a superior product for real composing than the alternatives, it's amazing... but without vibrant support, new features to make it a valid, primary notation tool - it will remain a marginal 3rd place runner. We don't need that - we need this to be a primary tool for composers - and the features I outlined -- no one can argue -- are required to be a serious tool (SMPTE, video, conductor score, etc).

The Library plugin/rules I mentioned are merely a reflection of the leading libraries in the marketplace - Kontakt, Symphobia, etc. It's what the people are using - listen to the people.

The updates and posts on Facebook, Twitter the site are OLD. It makes it look like this app is not thriving - perception is reality. No updates, No action. We need more. This product deserves it!

Finally, Lion has been known for a while, and it's the only OS running on new Macs. Composers use macs. So - staying with it should be a focus. I appreciate they've announced support upcoming, so that's fantastic. My repeated "NOW's" are merely exhortations at not having ANY updates, new features, new library support, or ANYTHING for what seems like an eternity. I can wait for Lion update -- but I can still be excited about it, can't I?

Notion is a fantastic product. It's my main composition tool - outside of Logic. But they need to get with the program and update to stay current or it will fall behind and eventually out of the mix. I don't want that to happen.

Guys - get your attitudes right and stop making useless snarky comments about my post- and join in the chorus...

We love Notion. We support Notion. We want more!

(btw - that's why I said I'd pay more, much more, for this product with all the features we need... )
themeworks

Postby themeworks » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:24 pm

themeworks wrote:Guys,

Sigh. Thanks for calling me names and missing the point of my post. Unreal. What is with you?

Seriously - my zeal, my passion is that I LOVE NOTION -- and yet we've had NOTHING in the way of ANY feature updates, sound updates, new plugins (for Kontakt, Symphobia, Cinesamples, etc) in FOREVER.....

It's such a superior product for real composing than the alternatives, it's amazing... but without vibrant support, new features to make it a valid, primary notation tool - it will remain a marginal 3rd place runner. We don't need that - we need this to be a primary tool for composers - and the features I outlined -- no one can argue -- are required to be a serious tool (SMPTE, video, conductor score, etc).

The Library plugin/rules I mentioned are merely a reflection of the leading libraries in the marketplace - Kontakt, Symphobia, etc. It's what the people are using - listen to the people.

The updates and posts on Facebook, Twitter the site are OLD. It makes it look like this app is not thriving - perception is reality. No updates, No action. We need more. This product deserves it!

Finally, Lion has been known for a while, and it's the only OS running on new Macs. Composers use macs. So - staying with it should be a focus. I appreciate they've announced support upcoming, so that's fantastic. My repeated "NOW's" are merely exhortations at not having ANY updates, new features, new library support, or ANYTHING for what seems like an eternity. I can wait for Lion update -- but I can still be excited about it, can't I?

Notion is a fantastic product. It's my main composition tool - outside of Logic. But they need to get with the program and update to stay current or it will fall behind and eventually out of the mix. I don't want that to happen.

Guys - get your attitudes right and stop making useless snarky comments about my post- and join in the chorus...

We love Notion. We support Notion. We want more!

(btw - that's why I said I'd pay more, much more, for this product with all the features we need... )

And... if you read correctly, I did end with a big "PLEASE" ;-)
themeworks

Postby pcartwright » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:44 pm

I totally understand you point and frustration (the fact that we haven't had an update in a while has been noted elsewhere). Regardless, you're still being rude (I'm not being snarky; I'm just being honest). Adding a big PLEASE doesn't help.
pcartwright

Postby posssu » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:47 pm

Come one guys, I don't see where he was being rude. To me it sounded like a frustrated scream for a new version and a software update. He was even willing to pay more for it! Not every post on forum needs to be wrapped in cotton. You all should really visit Ableton forum and read how people write there. You're even allowed to criticize Ableton Live freely if you have a good point and really want a discussion instead of just ranting. And all this creates a healthy community and discussion where people feel they are free to post and good discussions emerge.

My point being one should be allowed to write like this without being accused of being rude. Rude is getting personal, rude is using bad words. He (or she?) did neither of those, he was just wishing for a software update and even willing to pay more for it. And to be honest, so am I! :) Keep the focus on the product.
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Next

Return to NOTION