Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Sibelius 7

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Sibelius 7

Postby themeworks » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:52 am

Sibelius 7 is a pre-beta junk pile.

a) sounds - horrible
b) layout/Ux -- completely childish. this crap SCREAMS a windows app
c) performance - forget it. I have a 4GB Mac Pro that runs Pro Tools fine -- and it just slugs. Nothing but spinning wheels and crashes since I installed 3 hrs ago.
d) flow - well, nothing to be said. Notion kills here -- but dammit, we need Notion 4 with video/timecode, conductor score/film score notation/layout options (big Time sigs, SMPTE track, hit points), and KONTAKT Default (VSL, etc), SYMPHOBIA I & II support BUILT RIGHT IN - down to the last articulation.....

Until then, I am just weeping in the corner since I don't have a decent notation software now -- though the new parts of Logic's notation are half decent this past release.

PLEASE Notion... get on with it -- you own this space....

-C*
themeworks

Postby slowrise78 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:50 am

I agree we really need the film scoring "stuff". I have been using Sibelius to work out tempos and hit points. Then I export it as a midi file then I open it in Notion 3 and then I start the writing. I understand that every one wants different things in Notion 4, but this is a function I think many people will be able to utilize. Being able to Import video is something that is found in all the "BIG" programs. Notion 3 is a fantastic program! The Notion 3 team have done a great job. I guess it's just human nature to want more--------- and more and more

slowrise78
slowrise78

Postby achambily » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:45 am

fabiolcati wrote:To be honest, S7 string quartet sounds not so bad (the best I have heard from a notation program).
But... wait... this is Notion Forum...

awful :(
sounds like a bontempi !
here is a string quartet of mine played by Notion & EWQL : http://soundcloud.com/axel-casadesus/se ... -n-1-nana/
Notion, Cubase 7, EWQLSO Gold, VSL SE
Win7 x64, I7 Dell studio laptop, 8GB RAM
M-Audio FTP
M-Audio KeyStudio 25
Clavinova CLP 811
Sennheiser e840
Sennheiser HD280 Pro
Yamaha HS50M

http://chambily.com/
http://soundcloud.com/axel-casadesus/sets
achambily

Postby vintagevibes » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:27 pm

achambily wrote:
fabiolcati wrote:To be honest, S7 string quartet sounds not so bad (the best I have heard from a notation program).
But... wait... this is Notion Forum...

awful :(
sounds like a bontempi !
here is a string quartet of mine played by Notion & EWQL : http://soundcloud.com/axel-casadesus/se ... -n-1-nana/

What is your point? The sounds in Sibelius 7 are in the same league as Notion sounds. Dedicated libraries are in a different league all together.
vintagevibes

Postby dcoscina » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:08 am

I have ordered Sibelius 7 because it does have greater options as far as printing and layout go compared to Notion but based on everything I've heard out of the new sounds, no, they don't compare to Notion's LSO samples. The new brass section samples are pretty damn good and the strings are definitely in the same league as Miroslav Phil and much better than GPO.

I should reserve judgement until I play with the S7 sounds (at least they sound like they got a nice short string art but N3 has always had great ones).
dcoscina

Postby Hans Nel » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:34 pm

I have tried and tested many notators and I truly submit that Siblius is the leading notator as yet. Notion is not bad at all and I think they are going to keep Avid on their toes. There are quite a bit of functionality lacking in Notion. I really don't like the note entry methods. Btw, Sibelius is also catering for the musical mind and not the pc wizzard mind. The Notion Sounds are absolutely superior. Any chance that the Notion Sound Library will be sold as a seperate vst? ;)
Hans Nel

Postby strav100 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:52 am

No playback in Sibelius 7. Won't recognise my ASIO drivers. Plus it's a PITA to use with VSL sounds. Also, the playback demo sounds are terrible - just cheap Casio rubbish. I going to learn Notion properly now - Sibelius 7 is junk atm
strav100

Postby Hans Nel » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:48 am

Hi strav100, you are correct about the sounds. Finale & Sibelius does not have the amazing sounds as Notion. Notion's audio capabilities is where Notion wins. But, when it comes to engraving, Sibelius and Finale wins...by far. Any experienced engraver will quickly discover Notion's shortfall when it comes to scoring.

I, personally, don't understand why Avid did not work harder to create a better soundpack for their amazing 7th version of Sibelius. I own Sibelius7 & Finale 2011 and use my old time favourite EDIROL orchestral. I don't worry too much about their own sounds. Like I said, their sounds are not the main fuction, but rather to create professional scores.

I'll proberbly purchase Notion 4 just to import MusicXML files in order to use it's sounds and mixing capabilities. But, who knows, Finale or Sibelius might just have the same by the time Notion 4 arrives. :twisted:

You wrote: "...No playback in Sibelius 7. Won't recognise my ASIO drivers..."

I (and most Sibelius 7 users) don't experience this problem. No software are flawless, even Microsoft. There will always be someone's configuration that experience problems. That's why those companies have Customer Support Centres. It does, however, not suggest that the software are rubbish.

So, MY recommendation (at present) is this:
1) If you want to write professional scores - Get Sibelius or Finale (Sibelius is better, in MY opinion)
2) If you want to play with good sounds and print reasonably 'OK' scores - Get Notion
3) The best of both worlds would probably be Pro Tools 9 (Sounds) who has Sibelius functionality (Scoring) with a good VST.

Still, I don't downplay Notion at all.

Keep well my friend!
Hans Nel

Postby Hans Nel » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:16 pm

Hi, I just installed the Sibelius 7 update and the 'Sebelius Sounds' sounds much better. Notion still wins though. :)
Hans Nel

Previous

Return to NOTION