Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

How to trigger X01 to X20 techniques?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

How to trigger X01 to X20 techniques?

Postby catshsh » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:59 am

Hi there,

Just a small question about a notion feature I do not understand at all.
I am using N3 with miroslav samples, and in miro set, there are many different samples for vocal (choir) phonems.
the default choir setup in N3 with miro does only allow the choir to sing 'haaaa's in male or female format.
I can easily manage (thanks to CTRL-i) to load up other voyels in miro VSTi (miro can "sing" ha, ho, hee, hea, do, re, mi...) and I'd like to use notation tricks to triger voyels so that the choir seems to sing a sentence.

I've read the documentation and looked at the tuto for custom rules.
The thing I do not understand, is how one can mark trigers in the score such in a way that x01 to x20 are fired during playback.

I've read the help manual, where techniques, conditions are normally to be described in chapter 12 as written in the table of contents, but my version of the help file does not have any 12 chapter. :(
(Is this a bug ?)

so basically, I have two questions:
1 is the manual complete ? (chapter 12 not in mine)
2 how to trigger ther Xxx techniques?

Thanks in advance.

The Cat-Shsh
catshsh

Re: How to trigger X01 to X20 techniques?

Postby fabiolcati » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:15 am

I've read the help manual, where techniques, conditions are normally to be described in chapter 12 as written in the table of contents, but my version of the help file does not have any 12 chapter. :(
(Is this a bug ?)

Downoload the documentation at http://www.notionmusic.com/support/downloads/Custom_Rules_Documents.zip
how to trigger ther Xxx techniques?

Me too! Please, help us!
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby pcartwright » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:05 pm

First, I want to link to this thread for more info:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1332

Second, you trigger the custom articulations by typing an apostrophe ( ' ) followed by "x01" for the x01 articulation (the whole string of text would be 'x01).

Does that help?
pcartwright

Postby fabiolcati » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:17 am

pcartwright wrote:Does that help?

A little.
The link also introduces the *cs1-to-cs10* topic I wasn't aware of...
Can you give us a real life example?
Fabio
fabiolcati

Postby pcartwright » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:29 pm

The x01 techniques occur one time for the give note... For example, marking a property as sfz changes the dynamic for that note; once we move on to the next note, presumably, other dynamics would apply. Another example (from the jazz world) would be calling for a trumpet rip. You would market the score and the trumpet player would know to play that technique for that one note.

The cs01 techniques would occur until stopped by some other technique instruction (for example normale, or arco, or sans sordino, etc). If a violinist was told to play with a mute, he/she would play with the mute until the score told them to remove the mute.

Is that better?
pcartwright

Postby fabiolcati » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:42 am

pcartwright wrote:Is that better?

Much better.
Can I associate any of the techniques to it?
I'm planning to write rules for GPO loading the instrument twice (or more) into the same ARIA instance on two (or more) separate midi channels, eg with and without portamento, switching between them via *cs* or *x* commands.
My timpani already work this way: staccato drives damped samples.
My doubt is: staccato is an usual technique. May I associate *cs*s and *x*s to more unusual symbols?
Fabio
fabiolcati

Postby pcartwright » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:36 pm

fabiolcati wrote:Much better.
I'm planning to write rules for GPO loading the instrument twice (or more) into the same ARIA instance on two (or more) separate midi channels, eg with and without portamento, switching between them via *cs* or *x* commands.
My doubt is: staccato is an usual technique. May I associate *cs*s and *x*s to more unusual symbols?

I don't think you can associate a technique to these directions (I could certainly be wrong about that; however, almost every technique seems to be defined in the rule documentation). I think (and I could be wrong) that the purpose of these techniques is to trigger changes in playback that aren't defined/included in Notion. So that's a bummer. If you're looking to print these scores for players, you could simply hide the x01... cs01 technique and write the technique direction using a text box.

By the way, I like your idea of using different channels for portamento (do you mind if I incorporate that idea into my GPO rules?). Instead of writing a x01 or cs01 rule for portamento, why don't you write a rule like this:

<if technique = "port" />
<channel-change channel = "02" />
pcartwright

Postby fabiolcati » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:04 am

Instead of writing a x01 or cs01 rule for portamento, why don't you write a rule like this:

You are right. This was my first choice. Then I thought that *portamento* symbol was limited to Notion own sounds and not working for external sources. Hard U turn at sight!

I don't want to sound snoopy, but are you taking seriously the Chrismas Album ? It seems you are very busy at writing rules (GPO, LASS, *od knows whatever else for), posting everywhere... :D
Fabio
fabiolcati

Postby pcartwright » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:54 am

fabiolcati wrote:I don't want to sound snoopy, but are you taking seriously the Chrismas Album ? It seems you are very busy at writing rules (GPO, LASS, *od knows whatever else for), posting everywhere... :D

Haha... I've started my piece for the Christmas album... There's an old saying by Abraham Lincoln that goes like this:

Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.

I will have to spend less time tweaking the GPO playback controls if I take proper time to write the rules files.
pcartwright

Postby dgriffee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:55 am

It can be done... I have come up with several custom techniques with new madeup names that are triggered by my own arbitrarily defined apostrophe shortcuts and are displayed with my own mnemonic markings in the score.

BUT... to do so you will have to brave the uncharted waters of editing your techniques config file and expression list (look under Lists subdir) and BEWARE the way is fraught with great peril (grin) so backup backup backup before you experiment!
-DG

pcartwright wrote:
fabiolcati wrote:Much better.

I don't think you can associate a technique to these directions (I could certainly be wrong about that; however, almost every technique seems to be defined in the rule documentation). I think (and I could be wrong) that the purpose of these techniques is to trigger changes in playback that aren't defined/included in Notion. So that's a bummer. If you're looking to print these scores for players, you could simply hide the x01... cs01 technique and write the technique direction using a text box.

By the way, I like your idea of using different channels for portamento (do you mind if I incorporate that idea into my GPO rules?). Instead of writing a x01 or cs01 rule for portamento, why don't you write a rule like this:

dgriffee

Return to NOTION