Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Fade Out

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Fade Out

Postby composer » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:55 am

I can't seem to find a way to create an effective fade out in N3. In fact, the samples pretty much just cut off at the end of the piece, even when I have a fade dynamically via notation. Pretty unsatisfying and very unmusical. Notion 2 did this wonderfully. I have tried to create a fade by editing the dynamics various ways as indicated in the manual. I tried to use 'subtone'(it's a clarinet fade out). The only way I was able to fade was by using the Ntempo feature. N2 samples in N3 provided a better fade, but still not as effective a fade as the version 2 software provided. Why is there no ppppp dynamic in N3? Am I missing something or is there a way to notate a written fade and have it perform a gradual diminuendo to niente?
composer

Re: Fade Out

Postby astinov » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:17 am

Hi composer,

Actually the ppppp dynamic is still there, simply double click the pppp and ad a 'p' to the end. But there are two ways to create a fade:

1. Diminuendo to a rest
2. Diminuendo to ppppp

One thing you should make sure happens (just like in Notion2) is to make sure the hairpins is actually connecting to the dynamic. It may look like it is but the way to make sure is if you see tha hairpin and the dynamic automatically allign as you enter them.

We'll also introduce a special "niente" dynamic which will solve the ppppp issue.

Thanks

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby composer » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:48 pm

Yep...did all that. Even with a decrescendo hairpin anchored to a ppppp, the samples don't decay. They just cut-off. The only way I can find to make a fade out to nothing is by using Ntempo. Any chance that Notion is going to provide that fix soon. The lack of a musical fade in all of the samples seriously detracts from the rendering.
composer

Postby astinov » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:47 pm

Hi composer,

I am puzzled as to why you are not getting the sound decaying. I just created a very quick chamber orchestra chord diminuendo-ing to silence (rest) from F. It resulted in a 16 sec gradual fade, which sounds almost too perfect (think oboes and bassons in real-life). Here's the link to the .mp3:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=fa051d21f82fcf20e5c3dee5769931ece04e75f6e8ebb871

I would say this is very obviously fading out, not sure if you are getting this result, though. There is no NTempo, nothing else but just hairpins diminuendo to rest. Could you please do me a favor and take a listen and let me know if this is not the result you're getting?

If you're still having problems, could you pm me with more info, since it may be something specific and I'll be more than happy to help you out. Thanks!
astinov

Postby composer » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:52 am

Yup, that's a fade out indeed and a nice one too. I still can't seem to emulate it myself in N3; I have been using Notion since Notion 1.0 came out. I wonder if the issue is perhaps the clarinet sample itself? I'm not really noticing any change in dynamic levels below 'p' and I've notated all of them in my attempts. I'll keep trying and will ask for further assistance if I can't figure it out. Thanks kindly for the offer of help and for the .mp3 sample.
composer

Postby Unfinished » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:29 am

Can't you post the file here to find out whether the problem is only with your software's playback of the score or whether it is a problem in all Notion softwares? We would work out whether you aren't quite doing it right, whether Notion needs to improve on something or whether the problem is only a problem on your computer.
Unfinished

Postby pcartwright » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:15 pm

astinov wrote:We'll also introduce a special "niente" dynamic which will solve the ppppp issue.

Just out of curiosity, has the "niente" dynamic been added to Notion yet?
pcartwright

Return to NOTION