Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion rewire with Reason

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Notion rewire with Reason

Postby fabio.m » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:54 am

Hi all. ;)
I'm trying to make the Notion 3 demo work as rewire host with Reason. My need is mainly to use the Notion score editor with Reason sounds. Now... :? you can do that? I followed the tutorial but I didnt understand how to send MIDI from Notion to Reason (I just managed to send audio back, from Reason to Notion).

Thank you.
fabio.m

Re: Notion rewire with Reason

Postby pcartwright » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:20 pm

I don't think there's a rewire MIDI connection between Notion and Reason. You need to get a virtual MIDI port (such as MapleMIDI, LoopBeMIDI, etc) and export Notion's MIDI ports (A, B, C, and D) to the virtual MIDI port and set Reason's MIDI input to the same ports. Does that make sense?
pcartwright

Postby fabio.m » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:13 am

I thought there was no need for other pieces of software. Sure it would be a useful feature, to send MIDI directly from Notion 3. Anyway, I follow your advice and installed LoopBe: it works (thanks! :D ).

The only bad thing is about transport controls: with Notion 3 as host, Reason transport controls dont work as they should. PLAY button works, but STOP button doesnt arrest Notion3, and even with Notion 3 paused I'm not free to explore the score in Reason because the "current time" line becomes bound.

My goal is to actually use both software to write music, because Notion 3 is obviously better for writing down notes... but Reason is better for envelopes (you know, for filters and synth stuff). It works, but these transport controls issues are pretty annoying.
fabio.m

Postby pcartwright » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:34 am

fabio.m wrote:I thought there was no need for other pieces of software. Sure it would be a useful feature, to send MIDI directly from Notion 3. Anyway, I follow your advice and installed LoopBe: it works (thanks! :D ).

The only bad thing is about transport controls: with Notion 3 as host, Reason transport controls dont work as they should. PLAY button works, but STOP button doesnt arrest Notion3, and even with Notion 3 paused I'm not free to explore the score in Reason because the "current time" line becomes bound.

My goal is to actually use both software to write music, because Notion 3 is obviously better for writing down notes... but Reason is better for envelopes (you know, for filters and synth stuff). It works, but these transport controls issues are pretty annoying.

Complete a bug report if rewire transport doesn't function as it should. Considering Propellerhead developed rewire, I would think that a proper rewire connection to Reason would be the best way to assess Notion's rewire compatibility. The Notion folks would likely welcome your experience with Reason.
pcartwright

Postby fabio.m » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:42 pm

Complete a bug report if rewire transport doesn't function as it should.

I will. Thank you again for your help. ;)
fabio.m

Return to NOTION