Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

slurs and up/down bow

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

slurs and up/down bow

Postby cr3ator84 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:13 pm

hi all,

is it possible..
1) ....for slurs to have an effect on playback? ie. on a piano, play notes legato with a short break between phrases

2) ....for up and down bows to have an effect on playback? ie. on a violin, for an up-bow on a note to not sound exactly the same as a down-bow

kind regards
cr3ator84

Re: slurs and up/down bow

Postby pcartwright » Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Both are possible. I would open up some of the included rules files and the custom rules documentation for examples and instructions. Try searching for 'custom rules' in the forum for other posts relating to these questions.
pcartwright

Postby cr3ator84 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:02 am

thank you, much appreciated
cr3ator84

Postby pcartwright » Tue May 31, 2011 8:15 am

I should note that this is possible on third party (i.e. not Notion) samples. Users can't change the sound of native instrument playback, but you can make changes to the playback of libraries such as GPO, EWQL Orchestra, etc.
pcartwright

Postby cr3ator84 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:35 am

oh....crumbs....
cr3ator84

Postby cr3ator84 » Tue May 31, 2011 12:01 pm

pcartwright wrote:I should note that this is possible on third party (i.e. not Notion) samples. Users can't change the sound of native instrument playback, but you can make changes to the playback of libraries such as GPO, EWQL Orchestra, etc.

sorry if this is technically noobish of me but are you saying the custom rules would have an effect on instruments from say; miroslav philharmonik?

thanks again
cr3ator84

Postby pcartwright » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:23 am

cr3ator84 wrote:
pcartwright wrote:I should note that this is possible on third party (i.e. not Notion) samples. Users can't change the sound of native instrument playback, but you can make changes to the playback of libraries such as GPO, EWQL Orchestra, etc.

sorry if this is technically noobish of me but are you saying the custom rules would have an effect on instruments from say; miroslav philharmonik?

thanks again

Yes. There are custom rules files for each of the four supported third party libraries that you can edit. There are also ways to create rules for other libraries, but this is more difficult and less precise that using the rules files for the supported libraries.
pcartwright

Postby Surfwhammy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:06 pm

cr3ator84 wrote:

thanks again

Another useful bit of information is that Miroslav Philharmonik (IK Multimedia) has a standalone user interface, which essentially is a variation of the SampleTank (IK Multimedia) standalone user interface, and you can activate the standalone user interface by switching to the Notion 3 Mixer and then doing a single-click on the name of the instrument at the top of its respective track . . .

Once the standalone user interface for Miroslav Philharmonik appears, you then can select a particular articulation or set of articulations for an instrument, which is another way to customize the way an instrument sounds, where this additionally can be enhanced and tailored by the various controls and parameters provided in the standalone user interface, since it also has an "Effects" section . . .

This is important, because for example there are at least 150 French Horn parent and child presets, and if you need a very specific French Horn sound and playing style, then you have a virtual festival of options . . .

Miroslav Philharmonik Standalone User Interface ~ IK Multimedia

This is important, because some types of dynamics and articulations are emulated with software algorithms and do not always sound so realistic. In contrast, when you select a specific dynamics and articulations for a Miroslav Philharmonik instrument via the standalone user interface, this often maps to the real instrument actually being played by the respective musician in the specific types of dynamics and articulations, so the sound is more realistic, which is especially important for vibrato and tremolo, since in great contrast to vibrato and tremolo actually being recorded when the respective musician is playing a real instrument in this way, emulated vibrato and tremolo done via software algorithms tends to increase in speed as the pitch of the note increases, since the software emulation algorithms basically transform a non-vibrato or non-tremolo sampled note arbitrarily, where in some instance when there are not individual samples for each note, the "in-between" notes are "constructed" by emulation algorithms that multiply the pitch and do other things, and some of these emulation algorithms have the real effect of increasing or decreasing the speed of vibrato and tremolo . . .

In other words, if for example you play a Fender Stratocaster through a Fender Twin amplifier and set the tremolo speed to a specific value, then every note you play on the guitar will have the same tremolo speed, but in contrast if only Middle C (C4) and the E above Middle C (E4) were sampled, then the D above Middle C (D4) will be emulated, either by multiplying the C4 to increase it arbitrarily pitch to a D4 or by dividing the E5 to decrease it in pitch to a D4, so the C4 and E4 are real sampled notes, but the D4 is emulated, and one of the relics or consequences of this pitch emulation is that when the real sampled notes have tremolo at a fixed speed, doing the multiplying or dividing affects the speed of the tremolo, either by making it faster or slower, respectively . . .

Some of this is a bit subtle, but for a solo instrument, it can be a bit too obvious, which is one of the reasons I generally avoid using dynamics and articulations in music notation unless there is no other way to do it, although it depends, since while I have not verified this, I did some experiments with configuring a French Horn in the standalone user interface for Miroslav Philharmonik so that there were several "voices", each with a different articulation, and as I watched the music notation being played for this French Horn in the standalone user interface, the currently selected "voice" changed based on at least some of the articulations specified in the music notation . . .

So, I think what happens is that when there is a specified articulation in the music notation, Notion 3 sends a message or queries the virtual instrument to determine whether the virtual instrument has a matching articulation loaded in its set of "voices", and if it does, then Notion 3 instructs the virtual instrument to switch to the matching "voice" for the specific articulation. Otherwise, I think that Notion 3 either instructs the virtual instrument to do an emulation or perhaps does the emulation itself, although at present this is more of an hypothesis, since I have not explored this aspect of Notion 3 and IK Multimedia virtual instruments in a lot of detail . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. There is a FREE version of SampleTank that is full-featured and comes with a 500MB library of various virtual instrument sounds (which is downloaded separately), and there are both Mac and Windows versions, really . . .

SampleTank Standalone User Interface ~ IK Multimedia

SampleTank FREE (IK Multimedia)

Really!
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby erique328 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:16 am

i think both are possible
i am newbie
erique328

Postby erique328 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:28 am

try also both each side
i am newbie
erique328

Next