Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

What happened to Notion?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: What happened to Notion?

Postby VyseLegend » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:54 pm

So any word if Notion is compatible with Lion yet/? I know the Golden Master release just came out.
VyseLegend

Postby Surfwhammy » Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:50 am

As the consequence of an interesting discussion in the IK Multimedia FORUM on the new 27" iMac, I did a few experiments and decided to start running OS X 10.6.8 in 64-bit kernel and extensions mode, which I can do on the 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro, as can be done on the new 27" iMac, which with the fastest processor option (a custom order) makes it faster than a new 6-core Mac Pro, although if I were going to get a new iMac, I would get the most basic 21.5" model, since (a) there typically is not so much "bang for the buck" in the custom order models and (b) I do not need a large display, but so what . . .

So what!

The key bit of information is that NOTION needs to be 64-bits, which is an excellent reason for doing an update . . .

NOTION needs to continue being able to work with 32-bit VST plug-ins and sound samples, but it also needs to work with 64-bit VST plug-ins and sound samples, although at present there are not so many affordable 64-bit sound samples . . .

There are 64-bit VST plug-ins, and IK Multimedia is in the process of upgrading all their VST plug-ins to 64-bits, so the move to 64-bits is on the horizon, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby pcartwright » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:55 pm

Surfwhammy wrote:The key bit of information is that NOTION needs to be 64-bits, which is an excellent reason for doing an update . . .

I would have agreed with this statement at one point in the past. However, there are tools out there (jBridge for example), that allow Notion users to access 64 bit plugins and libraries while the program runs as a 32 bit application. The real benefit of 64 bit computing for Notion users is accessing more RAM for bigger and more robust libraries; I think having 64 bit application is unnecessary at this time considering jBridge allows users to access the full scope of RAM available on a 64 bit machine.

I don't know if jBridge runs on Mac, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of Mac application that did the same thing.
pcartwright

Postby VyseLegend » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:12 pm

I think the main concern is that all applications are forced into 64-bit on Lion. Far as I can tell, Notion just does function without this functionality being patched in.
VyseLegend

Postby sepheritoh » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:57 pm

64 bit is an must have for Notion. I have jbridge and it does help. I have however not yet been able to make it work with the integrated libraries, ie. Notion itself, Miroslav and Garritan. I can add Miroslav or GPO as a 64 bit-bridge vsti, but then I loose the ability to use the bult in keyswitching rules.

It is also worth while to mention that 64 bit will come at a price, I.e. Rewiree does not work in 64 bit. Although I use rewire from time to time, I would not mind giving that up for the extra memory. I have a machine with 16GB memory, but it counts for none in my favorite program.

Please make 64 bit an priority. 8-)
sepheritoh

Postby pcartwright » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:28 pm

sepheritoh wrote:64 bit is an must have for Notion. I have jbridge and it does help. I have however not yet been able to make it work with the integrated libraries, ie. Notion itself, Miroslav and Garritan. I can add Miroslav or GPO as a 64 bit-bridge vsti, but then I loose the ability to use the bult in keyswitching rules.

While it's true that the Notion sounds can't be jBridged, it's not true that using jBridge with supported third party libraries renders rules useless. I use jBridge and the rules, both default and custom, still work.

It is also worth while to mention that 64 bit will come at a price, I.e. Rewiree does not work in 64 bit. Although I use rewire from time to time, I would not mind giving that up for the extra memory. I have a machine with 16GB memory, but it counts for none in my favorite program.

Please make 64 bit an priority. 8-)

Personally, I would sacrifice rewire if Notion implemented standard MIDI or LTC syncing capabilities.
pcartwright

Postby sepheritoh » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:35 am

pcartwright wrote:
While it's true that the Notion sounds can't be jBridged, it's not true that using jBridge with supported third party libraries renders rules useless. I use jBridge and the rules, both default and custom, still work.

I will not call it useless. I just could not get it to work properly myself. I just finished a project where I ran into constant memory problems. I am ready to admit that the lack of it working is due to my lack of knowing how to make it work. I would appreciate if you could elaborate a little bit more on how you made it work.
sepheritoh

Postby wcreed51 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:30 am

Yes, I was wondering the same thing...
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby pcartwright » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:29 am

sepheritoh wrote:I would appreciate if you could elaborate a little bit more on how you made it work.

Let's start a new thread to discuss.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1623#p6991
pcartwright

Postby Eftwyrd » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:36 am

Update please. Thanks.
Yours sincerely
Eftwyrd

Previous

Return to NOTION