Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Importing MIDI (voice to note)

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Importing MIDI (voice to note)

Postby jonknowles8 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:57 pm

I would like to import MIDI files into Notion 3. I am wondering if some sources of MIDI files import into Notion better than others. In particular I'd like to record my voice (one melodic line), save it as a MIDI file, then import into Notion where it will be notated.

Has anyone had experience with any of these programs and found any to stand out for this kind of task?

Melodyne Assistant $249, Editor $349. Says it saves notes as a standard MIDI file
Intelliscore $150
Audiotomidi (free or shareware I think). There is a youtube video on it.
Sibelius 6. Uses Audioscore, which some say does not work at all (e.g. Amazon reviews). Neuratone makes Audioscore ($200)

Others:
Music MasterWorks $35. Some report it does not work. Magic Score $20. Akoff Music Composer. Freeware. Composer. Vivaldi Gold ($200). Xitona ($8). Mixcraft.

I have an old mic (Audio Technica PR325) which I think should be adequate for the task - if the software can actually get the job done. I bought Autoscore many years ago for a ton of money; it never did work for me, nor for my chorus leader.

Jon
jonknowles8

Re: Importing MIDI (voice to note)

Postby dcuny » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:40 pm

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you save the file as MusicXML instead? MIDI is a pretty awful format for working with notated data. MusicXML is supported by most of these programs, and NOTION3 reads it as well.
dcuny

Re: Importing MIDI (voice to note)

Postby jonknowles8 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:30 pm

dcuny wrote:Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you save the file as MusicXML instead? MIDI is a pretty awful format for working with notated data. MusicXML is supported by most of these programs, and NOTION3 reads it as well.

Thanks for the tip. If that's a better option with these programs than saving as MIDI and importing into Notion, then I'll try that. I've never used MusicXML before. I still wonder which program is best to use to record voice and save as MusicXML. I've heard Melodyne is very good for various purposes (and briefly tried an earlier version several years ago); Melodyne is expensive and I'm wondering if there is a less expensive alternative that works well - and how well Melodyne would work now for this particular task. I've downloaded Intelliscore and am trying it out.

Jon
jonknowles8

Return to NOTION