Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Mapping drum

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Mapping drum

Postby ulrik » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:48 am

Hi!
I use the BFD2 drumplugin inside Notion3, inside BFD you can make your own keymap so I am making a keymap that fits into Notions way of scoring for drums, it's easy to assign the bd, sd, closed hh toms crashes and ride cymbal, however I have some problems to assign the half open and open hihat because in Notion you use special marks for making the Notion drum sound like that, for instance you use the o for open hihat.
My question is, is there a way to let BFD respond to thoose special marks? I have monitored the midi information and there is no difference between closed hihat and open hihat so I can't make any kind of mapping for that in BFD.

This is only the beginning, then we have all kind of different playing on the snare, rim shots and etc etc....

Any suggestions?

cheers / Ulrik
ulrik

Re: Mapping drum

Postby dgriffee » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:48 pm

in the custom-rules documentation there are tests for the special noteheads that the notion builtin drums use. You could possibly add some rules on the midi-channels that you have your special drum library running on which also test for those special noteheads and set the pitch# to the location of corresponding sounds as per your instrument's mapping.

I have also found that if you get into the techniques file, and copy certain techniques that are already in there for "ntn3" (or other libs) and make another entry with same technique but for "vsti" instead, those techniques then also will show up very conveniently in the tools pallet for "VSTi techniques", and if your sound lib has sounds for them and you add the custom rules to test for those techniques (using the same 4 letter codes from the techniques file) then those markings worked with the other sound libs as well. If you set up the rules correctly for your other sound libs and have those special techniques available under the "VSTi Techniques" pallet, this provides you with the same convenience for for your other sound libs just as they do for Notion's builtin presets.

In your case, I think just using the special noteheads could work same way if you make rules to test for them in your custom rules for your sound lib, and so you would not even have to alter the techniques file to get at them.

Hope this makes sense to you... assuming you are already into the custom rules stuff.
-DG
dgriffee

Re: Mapping drum

Postby ulrik » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:46 am

Thanks a lot for this well explained info, it sounds really interesting to alter the technics file ( I assume you mean the "TechniquesList.xml" ? )
I will make some tests and report back

Thanks again / Ulrik
ulrik

Return to NOTION