Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Incorrect slur placement

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Incorrect slur placement

Postby edbradburn » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:03 am

Just a minor point, but strange since it indicates that Notion does not treat voices separately for slurring, as it should do.

Also: rest entry appears to be incorrect for voicing.

Putting this together, we have a simple bar with a piano RH chord that needs to be entered in two parts (I assume) since the chords cannot be built from notes of different lengths.

The C# sharp needs to be entered in Voice 2. In addition, we need a minim rest for the first part of the bar.

However, when I enter the rest, it is NOT shown in the voice color for Voice 2 (purple). Why not? Musically, it has nothing to do with Voice 1 and should be shown in purple.

And then, when I enter the slur for the RH notes down to the B, Notion slurs the rest to the B!

Now I am not sure if you can even "slur" a rest musically, but certainly slurring across voices should be forbidden (at least by default).

Musically this may might make little real difference to a piano accompaniment but visually it's a right mess! :shock:
Attachments
Küchler Bar 53 (Notion, slur wrong).png
Slur on rest and in voice 2. Eh?
Küchler Bar 53 (Notion, slur wrong).png (2.46 KiB) Viewed 2937 times
Küchler Bar 53 (Notion, no slur).png
Bar before slurring
Küchler Bar 53 (Notion, no slur).png (2.18 KiB) Viewed 2937 times
Küchler Bar 53 (original).png
Original bar
Küchler Bar 53 (original).png (1.25 KiB) Viewed 2937 times
edbradburn

Re: Incorrect slur placement

Postby fabiolcati » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:32 am

There's a workaround for rests in multiple voice writing...
Only, I'm far from my Notion workstation at the moment...
Can't recall it to my mind... M...e...
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Re: Incorrect slur placement

Postby thorrild » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:41 am

In order to match your original score, slur and all, you need to hide the half (minim) rest in voice 2.
If you are on a Mac, Ctrl.-click on the rest; for Windows, I think it's a right-click.
From the resulting pop-up menu, select Rests/Hide Rests.

Otherwise, you are right in reporting that Notion's slurs are not always as well placed as they should be. I, too, hope that this and other minor matters will be improved in the future.

Keep in mind, however, that Notion's advantages are in playback and live performance. If you want accurate, endlessly adjustable notation, use something else, like Finale or Sibelius — and be prepared to sacrifice something in the playback department. Right now, at least, it seems that you still can't have your cake and eat it too.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Return to NOTION