Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

A plug for more and better rule sets

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

A plug for more and better rule sets

Postby thorrild » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:48 pm

Reading this forum, it seems clear that a decent number of Notion users want to move beyond the standard Notion sound set and the associated expansion sounds. Personally, I am generally happy with the approved Notion samples, but I also know how much a musical texture can be enlivened by using a mixture of sample libraries.

Fortunately, Notion allows you to use whatever sample library you like, and there are even presets for a couple of them. Presumably, the presets allow those third-party libraries to work seamlessly with Notion, just as if you were using the Notion sound set. But reading through a variety of posts, both here and in the Custom Rules area, it seems clear that this presumption is at least partly false.

Not being one for shelling out a few hundred dollars on a new sample library and then finding out that it isn't as fully integrated as the Notion library, I'd like to lobby for better integration of the already-supported libraries, and to make a plea for the (proper and full) integration of other libraries.

I understand that it can quickly become a tall (and largely unprofitable) order to write code for the support of competitors' products, and I realize that some Notion user is always going to be displeased that his/her library of choice is not supported directly. Still, the forum traffic dealing with questions and problems concerning the use of Miroslav, EWQL, GPO and others indicates that there is a real need here. (Oddly enough, I don't remember seeing much chatter about Vienna Symphonic, which is featured in all of the video tutorials on custom rules. Could this be because the product is so expensive that it is out of reach to most Notion users?)

I am not a gearhead. I generally look for technology that suits my needs "out-of-the-box," and that's why I am so happy with Notion. But when I see that pcartwright is writing his own rule set for GPO and is still not satisfied that it is complete, maybe he needs some help. All I can do is add my voice to his complaints and hope that this post is not sent in vain. High on the list seems to be better support for keyswitches and the addition of more instrument IDs. Also on the list, but perhaps not as likely to be in the offing this season, is support for other Garritan libraries, such as Jazz and Big Band (with its superior saxes and brass), and the recent World Instruments. Something as simple (to me!) as being able to switch a staff from, say, a Notion trumpet to a Garritan trumpet to see which works better for a particular file, would be really wonderful. As it stands now (and as I understand it) making this switch does not guarantee that the notated part plays back as well as it should. Dynamics, legato, and basic articulations are handled, but that's about it. And please note that I would prefer to make this a Notion-only thread — not a thread about the wonders of Reaper and other master-slave relationships :-).

The ability to mix (approved) sound libraries without having to figure out how to add mutes and such or jump through programming hoops would not only make Notion a better application, it would actually improve the usability of the standard Notion sound set, precisely because it would exist in a more varied environment where its qualities could shine brighter than they do in a Notion-only sound world.

Best wishes,
Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Re: A plug for more and better rule sets

Postby pcartwright » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:22 pm

Well said, Thorrid. + 100,000
pcartwright

Postby pcartwright » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:54 pm

Not to hijack Thorrid's thread, but I think it would be helpful to post the names of other libraries that you wish were supported natively in Notion 3.

As Thorrid mentioned, I'd like to see the other Garritan libraries, Project SAM libraries, and LA Scoring Strings supported natively like GPO, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, etc. I've already written rules for LASS, but native support with instrument IDs would make my rules more efficient, and I'd be happy to write rules for other Garritan libraries if instrument IDs for these instruments were provided.
pcartwright

Postby dgriffee » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:55 pm

even as a small step in the right direction, if the notion folks would at least...

simply open up the capability to utilize the instrument IDs of other sound libraries (please!)

I suspect that single bit of flexibilty would probably be a very simple provision for the notionmusic folks to enable.

I am certain there are users out here who would be more than willing and capable enough to step up to the plate and provide great custom rulesets for a bunch of popular vst libs that keep showing up in many user wishlists all over this forum. There seems to be an awful lot of hoop jumping workaroud trickery which is only necessary because of this one gap in notion's custom ruleset flexibilty.
dgriffee

Postby wcreed51 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:13 pm

I would expect that many libraries don’t have an instrument ID. Certainly anything that’s Kontakt base wouldn’t. It’s only going to be libraries that have their on player, like EW and VSL.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby fabiolcati » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:36 am

Add another 100,000 of mine.
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby thorrild » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:56 am

Not to hijack my own thread [hi, Phillip! ;-)], but I'd like to stress my desire for improvement of the functionality in the already "supported" sound libraries. If they can be made to work as well as Notion's own library, there will be something to build on. Half-hearted expansion only invites more tiresome harangues like mine...

Best wishes,
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby wcreed51 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:26 am

Yes yes yes yes....
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby pcartwright » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:53 pm

thorrild wrote:I'd like to stress my desire for improvement of the functionality in the already "supported" sound libraries. If they can be made to work as well as Notion's own library, there will be something to build on. Half-hearted expansion only invites more tiresome harangues like mine...

Good point. Notion introduced playable trills about a year ago I think. That's a great start to better support, and I think it would be pretty easy to something similar for unmeasured tremolo.
pcartwright

Postby dgriffee » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:33 pm

ahh yes... you are right, I absolutely agree with the original thread here! More and better rulesets are clearly needed. The rules engine approach that has been incorporated within the program's architecture is the magic key to Notion's real power, and it needs to be provided as a product which includes ready made rulesets for all the major instrument libraries in order to unlock that power.

If Notion were packaged with more and better supporting rulesets "in the box" it would probably sell like blazes to a lot more people, and a stronger marketplace niche for NotionMusic would also be good for all of us users in the long run too!

I hope some of the "secret new stuff" they been developing lately maybe involves some smart business partnerships to help enable NotionMusic to provide more of that kind of support built into and/or included with their product right off the shelf.
dgriffee

Next

Return to NOTION