Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

NOTION3 DEMO -NO LUCK !

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

NOTION3 DEMO -NO LUCK !

Postby BLACKCROW » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:00 pm

I'm not sure whats going on with those sound files I downloaded but half of them were not there after downloading them for four straight hours !
I had some brass sound files that I loaded up into Notion3 and those didn't seem to work when I played back the notes I inserted into a few measures .
I installed Trumpet and it told me it was successful , then I went back into Notion 3 and yes I had Notion 3 running at the same time I install them .
I started with a new trumpet staff and inserted the notes and then played back the measures , not one sound of a trumpet .

My soundcard was working just fine so that had nothing to do with it , I hope when I get the full box version of Notion 3 I don't have the same issues as I'm having now with this DEMO version and those instrument sound files I painlessly downloaded .
I finally said enough is enough so I uninstalled everything including the demo of Notion 3 , I'll wait untill I get the full box and disk version so hopefully it will work like it suppose to .

Oh well off to doing something else I guess untill April when I have ordered Notion 3 , I'll check back for any replies on this issue I had all day today with the Demo version of Notion 3.

Thanks agin for your help , better luck next time after I pay for the full version of Notion 3 !

BLACKCROW
BLACKCROW

Re: NOTION3 DEMO -NO LUCK !

Postby Surfwhammy » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:33 am

As I recall, some of the updates to the various Notion 3 instruments only work if you have purchased the corresponding instrument libraries, and this leads to a bit of confusion when folks who only purchased Notion 3 download all the instrument updates but only a few of them actually are licensed . . .

On the good side, it is a FACT that Notion 3 will work wonderfully on your computer if you are running Windows (Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP) or Mac OS X, and there are a lot of instruments on the DVD(s), which is easier than downloading everything unless you have a high-speed broadband cable or DSL connection to the web . . .

This is a strategy for running the DEMO version of Notion 3 that will work nicely:

[NOTE: If you have problems with this strategy, then post a message, since I can help you with this one, and I usually check posts in this FORUM every day or so . . . ]

(1) Install the Notion 3 DEMO version that you already downloaded . . .

(2) Visit the IK Multimedia website; download the Miroslav Philharmonik DEMO; and install it . . .

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/philharmonik/download/

The location of the instruments for Miroslav Philharmonik are set via the "PREFS" button, which is found in the standalone user-interface for Miroslav Philharmonik, which is where you need to set it if there is no sound or if it does not appear in the VSTi instrument choices when you do the instrument setup for a new Notion 3 score . . .

There also is a FREE version of SampleTank 2.5 (IK Multimedia), and it has the same type of standalone user-interface as Miroslav Philharmonik but in a different color scheme . . .

[NOTE: This is the link to the FREE version of SampleTank 2.5, and it is not a DEMO version, so it has all the features of the full version but not so many instruments, although more than enough to have some FUN. There is a separate FREE sounds library that you will download, and there are instructions on how to install and register everything . . . ]

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/sampletank/download/

I use Miroslav Philharmonik and SampleTank 2.5 for DISCO and Pop songs, and I like the virtual festival of instruments, where this is the first "basic rhythm section" that I did last year soon after getting Notion 3 and discovering enough about how everything works to be productive, which is fabulous . . .

[NOTE: This done entirely within Notion 3 using the Notion 3 Mixer with Miroslav Philharmonik and SampleTank 2.5 VSTi instruments, as well as various T-RackS 3 Deluxe (IK Multimedia) VST mixing and mastering plug-ins for dynamics, compressing, limiting, and so forth and so on. When I need to have more instruments and start doing vocals and real electric guitar, I get the Notion 3 audio into Digital Performer 7 and switch to doing everything there, but it is nice to know that you can do a lot of instrumental stuff solely within Notion 3 . . . ]

http://www.surfwhammys.com/Surrealeria-1-7-2011-ST25-XP2-N3.mp3

Fabulous!

Overall, Notion 3 is very easy to use, but it is important to understand that there is a lot of stuff involved in doing music via music notation and VSTi instruments, so it takes a while to learn all the new technologies if this is something you have not done before . . .

When I first started with Notion 3 last summer (2010), I had a basic understanding of music notation but knew absolutely nothing about VSTi instruments . . .

And while I knew how to do melodies and very basic chords with music notation, I had never done drumming and Latin percussion with music notation, hence had no idea how to do something so simple as a snare drum roll or which notes to use for rapid Heavy Metal double-kick drum stuff, but after doing some experiments I discovered how to do it . . .

At present, I think it is reasonable to suggest that I have worked on this stuff since last summer (2010) at least 1,500 hours, and I have developed a very complete system for doing everything, including using exported MIDI to do stuff with Reason 5 (Propellerhead Software); getting Notion 3 audio into Digital Performer 7 via ReWire; and lots of other stuff, including the amazing ability to create what I call "sparkles", which are the apparently random bursts of Latin percussion and synthesizers that add elaborate motion to what I call the "Spherical Sonic Landscape™" . . .

It takes a while to do what I call a "basic rhythm section", but the results are excellent, which from my perspective is the most important aspect of doing computer-generated music via music notation . . .

Before I discovered Notion 3, I was doing everything with real instruments, and the songs sounded pretty good but not so good as I desired, which is somewhat due to not having the most stellar microphones and some other equipment related problems, most of which I have corrected, but it also was due to my primary skills being playing electric guitar and electric bass rather than drumming and playing keyboards, although I have a bit of skill in these instruments but not so much as for bass, rhythm guitar, and lead guitar . . .

I did the orchestral instruments on a KORG Triton Music Workstation (88-Keys), but I had to play all the notes in real-time, which is not so easy for me to do . . .

However, with Notion 3 I can use music notation, and this maps to all the instruments being very precise, which makes it easier to get something done and then to focus on doing something else, while having a perfect performance that can be adjusted easily if necessary . . .

I do everything on a 2.8-GHz Mac Pro with 8GB of memory (8x1GB), but it works just as well on a Windows machine . . .

So, if you read my posts to get more information but are doing everything on a Windows machine, then some of the specific details will be a bit different but overall everything is the same in one way or another, except that instead of Digital Performer 7 being the Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application, it will be a different DAW in Windows, since Digital Performer 7 only runs on the Mac . . .

Another FACT is that this is the nearest I have gotten so far to being able to do songs that sound at least "ballpark" with respect to the stuff that major record labels do, and as I learn more about mixing and mastering I am getting better at getting everything to the high quality level it needs to be . . .

And while it might require 500 hours of work for one song here in the sound isolation studio, when you consider the number of people who work on a major label hit song, 500 hours is nothing, which is one of the reasons that the cute ladies (Christina Aguilera, Miley Cyrus, Lada Gaga, and Britney Spears) are doing good to release an album every two or three years, and they have teams of people working behind the scenes on everything, with much of the work being done on computers and so forth . . .

For example, consider "Candy Man" (Christina Aguilera), really . . .

[NOTE: This is the link to the YouTube music video for "Candy Man" (Christina Aguilera), which is a Big Band style song but updated a bit . . . ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu-7rPdFjvI

Really!

There are somewhere in the range of 100 instruments and at least that many vocal tracks, as well as a virtual festival of elaborate special effects on the vocal tracks, including custom-designed echoes often with one tailored for each individual word, and so forth and so on, which is not so difficult to understand when you listen very carefully with studio quality headphones like the SONY MDR-7506 (a personal favorite) toward the goal not only of hearing it but also of determining precisely how to do it, although depending on how refined your listening skills are, it might require listening to the song 500 to 1,000 times to hear everything in an immediately conscious way . . .

[NOTE: The reason that I suggest there are hundreds of tracks is that nothing sounds like this in the real world, so to get everything to sound like this in the digital universe, you have to do a lot of stuff that at minimum requires several tracks for each instrument, where I consider each separate instrument track to be an "instrument", even when it actually is one original instrument track and a set of computer-generated effects tracks, which also is the same way that vocals are processed . . . ]

From this perspective, it can appear to be mind-bogglingly complex, but if you work at it diligently, I suggest that you can discover how to do it . . .

This is the second "basic rhythm section" I did in Notion 3, and it now has vocals, but I have not done the real lead guitar and final mixing and mastering, which I do with loudspeakers rather than headphones, but so what . . .

[NOTE: All the instruments are done in Notion 3 via music notation and VSTi instruments, but the Notion 3 generated audio is recorded in Digital Performer 7 via ReWire, and then I added the singing and processed it with the Melodyne Editor (Celemony), and mixed it in Digital Performer 7, so this is a bit more elaborate in terms of using the complete system, and while it is not perfect, I think it is pretty good for one person doing everything in a sound isolation studio that is about the size of a walk-in closet and has one computer. If I had a MacBook Pro, I could do this inside a VW Beetle, which is a bit mind-boggling, really . . . ]

http://www.surfwhammys.com/Im-Going-Goo-Goo-Over-Ga-Ga-11-28-2010-2-DP7.mp3

So what!

And while I understand music notation, my primary mode continues to be composing, playing, and singing "by ear", which is one of the stellar aspects of Notion 3, since it makes it possible for me to hear what I am doing in music notation, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby fabiolcati » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:48 am

Hi Blackcrow.
Sorry to hear you... can't hear anything coming out from Notion 3.
Since I'm on Mac, I can't say how to properly install sounds on Windows outside the officially stated procedure (you see, N3 has many idiosincrasies).
Anyway, I suggest you to download single sounds from the original sound set here:

http://notionmusic.com/support/notion3_demo_download.php

instead of the upgraded ones. Maybe you really need the original to have the upgraded sound right.
Maybe Brian from Notion Support Desk can lead us out of this mud?
Hope it helps.
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby Brian » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:46 am

Hi Guys. If you are having a problem installing the demo and setting up the sounds, here is what you need to do:

1. Download and install the demo on your computer.

2. Download the individual sound files from the demo page that you would like to use with the demo.

3. Double-click the downloaded sound files and they should install into the program. If you are on a Mac, you must first open the program and then double-click the downloaded sound files.

If this does not work for you, please let me know of any error messages that you might be receiving. You will also want to make sure that you have the program set to use the right sound card. You might want to go to NOTION>Prefereces and click on the "Audio" tab. Please let me know if you are still having a problem. :D
Brian
NOTION Music Tech Support
866-398-2994
Brian

Postby lovella » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:30 pm

Did the solution Brian gave worked?
Was the demo useful or something of that sort?
lovella

Postby kvapka » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:50 am

i had same problem. You need go to preferences > audio > choose the same sound folder and click to ok. It reloading sounds. Thats help me solved my problem and i hope yours too.
kvapka

Return to NOTION