Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Cannot use VI Ensemble

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Cannot use VI Ensemble

Postby pbourke » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:25 pm

Hi - Hi have VI Ensemble installed yet Notion does not seem to be able to see it. When I display the VST manager, it shows VI Ensemble twice in the list, once enabled and once disabled. The file paths are the same so I know that it is not installed somewhere else on my computer. When I select 'VST Instruments' all my other enabled VST are there but not VI Ensemble.

1. Do you know why?
2. Is there are way to clear all the entries in the VST Manager list an re-browse so I can get s fresh list?
Thanks
Patrick
pbourke

Re: Cannot use VI Ensemble

Postby Surfwhammy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:25 pm

There is some information about VST and VSTi libraries later in this post, which is what I guessed "VI Ensemble" was, but after doing a bit of checking it appears the Vienna Ensemble is a mixer and host application for Vienna Instruments . . .

In other words, Vienna Ensemble is like Logic, Digital Performer, Reaper, and so forth, and as such it should not appear in a list of VSTs in Notion 3 . . .

Explained another way, my best guess is that it makes no sense for it to run as a VST in Notion 3 . . .

If Vienna Ensemble supports ReWire, then it might be able to interact with Notion 3, but perhaps not, since the VSL website tends to suggest that Vienna Ensemble is exclusive to Vienna Instruments in its focus . . .

http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/1343/1347/336.vsl

VST and VSTi Libraries

The technique for causing Notion 3 on the Mac to rescan VSTs is explained in this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1474

But for Windows there is an ongoing discussion regarding doubled items, and since I do not have access to a current Windows machine, all I can do is guess . . .

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1483

VSTi instrument libraries are another matter, and they typically are set in one of two ways on the Mac, where some of them are kept in specially named Notion 3 folders, while others are kept in vendor-specific folders, which is the case with Miroslav Philharmonik (IK Multimedia), where the folder location is set via clicking on "PREFS" in the standalone user interface for Miroslav Philharmonik, as is the case with SampleTank 2.5 (IK Multimedia) . . .

My best guess is that this is done in a similar way on Windows machines, but the location of the folders will be different . . .

Regarding duplicated items, my best guess is that this happens on Windows machine in the scenario where there are two user accounts, one of which is an Administrator account, while the other account has a lower level of permissions and privileges and probably is virtualized in one way or another . . .

And this might be a minor user interface bug in the Windows version of Notion 3, since displaying what appear to be duplicated items is more a matter of not displaying all the information or filtering it, since logic suggests that there are distinguishing factors, which for example might be the user account to which each specific item is allowed, registered, or whatever . . .

With virtualization, one might suppose that several user accounts can have the thing assigned or allowed, since each user account essentially has access to a virtualized copy or instance of the primitive entity . . .

If this is the way it works, then there should be a way to map each virtualized copy or instance to its specific user account, as well as to do a bit of filtering toward the goal of displaying on the information that is relevant to the specific user account . . .

For an Administrator and other higher-level user accounts, it might make a bit of sense to have an option to "show all" or just to focus on the specific user account . . .

As a general rule, showing what appear to the user to be duplicates is not the best strategy, since it is confusing at best, so if it is necessary to show what appear to be duplicates, then it is better to provide an extra column that has information which makes each item unique, hence no longer appearing to be a duplicate or whatever . . .

This also might happen on the Mac, but while I have a second user account, I only used it for doing some experiments with Digital Performer 7 and ReWire, which did not require installing any additional software other than demo versions of Ableton and Reason 5, and neither of them are VST or VSTi, hence would not duplicate anything . ..

Lots of FUN! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby wcreed51 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:25 pm

I could be that one instance of VE is the 64 bit version. I have VE Pro, so not sure if things are the same, but you might want to look in your VST folder and move/delete if that’s the case.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Surfwhammy » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:32 pm

As a bit of follow-up, I think that Vienna Ensemble Pro can be used as a VST, since it has a VST "mixer strip", so this is intriguing, really . . .

Really!

Whether Vienna Ensemble also does this is another matter, but I plan to read the VE user manual, since I like some of the features of Vienna Ensemble Pro and I am curious about running it without Vienna Instruments simply as a mixer and host . . .

The only problem is the the Vienna Instruments stuff costs too much, so all I am going to do at present is read the VE user manual very quickly, for sure . . .

For sure! :(
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby wcreed51 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:22 pm

Yes, Vienna Ensemble also does that.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Return to NOTION