Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Step-Entry Disaster

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Step-Entry Disaster

Postby DrH » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:17 pm

I just encountered some very disturbing problems with N3's Step-Entry. So disturbing, in fact, that I thought it warranted it's own high-priority posting.

Most important, we have lost the ability to step-enter notes for transposing insturments from material that is already transposed, which we were able to do in N2. Even though I am displaying the score in Transposed View, when I step-enter a Clarinet part, for example, from an already transposed part, N3 insists on transposing it again, thereby notating it up another step. This did not happen in N2 and it is *crucial* to make step-entering "as written" transposed parts work properly in N3.

Almost as disturbing is that once we start step-entry, there is (1) no visual feedback on the note value I have selected by hitting q, h, w, etc. (which we had in N2), and (2) there is no way to gracfully backspace over entries, just Ctl-Z, which does not move the entry cursor back. Very, very clumsy!

In short, new versions of software should improve upon existing features not degrade them, and I humbly beseech that Notion fixes N3's Step-Entry so that it is as useful and functional as N2's was as soon as possible.

Thnx!

DrH
DrH

Re: Step-Entry Disaster

Postby astinov » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:57 am

Hi DrH,

This is Lubo Astinov from NOTION Music. I want to thank you for your post, you are making a valid point. I want to assure you your voice is heard and we are looking into the functionality in question. We hope to be able to add it soon.

For now, to help you with your immediate need, I just wanted to give you an alternative to your Step-Entry trouble.

To avoid transposing "on-the-fly" as you are entering music from a Clarinet in Bb or any other transposition instrument, you could try setting the transposition of your MIDI device to be the same as the transposition of your instrument in the score. Most MIDI controllers give you the option to "tune" or transpose your device. That way you would be playing and seeing the transposed part as you want. I know this is not perfect, but at least is something I can try to help you with.

We are working on the other issues and hope to be able to resolve them rather quickly.

Thank You!
astinov

Return to NOTION