Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion's toolbar needs to be movable

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Notion's toolbar needs to be movable

Postby wglmb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:02 am

Or Englishify them... :)
wglmb

Postby pcartwright » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:21 am

Perhaps we need a feature request asking for shortcuts to be customizable...
pcartwright

Postby dgriffee » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:36 pm

pcartwright wrote:Perhaps we need a feature request asking for shortcuts to be customizable...

If you really need to twiddle with customizing the shortcut key assignments, start by looking at...
KeboardMap.tpk
...and by comparing the default keyboard shortcuts given in the documentation versus what you find in that file's "KeyboardSequence" property tag values you can quickly figure out which ones to change. The ui command tags are a bit cryptic, so you will have to initially sort of reverse engineer in that way from the default shortcut keys to find the tags for the ones you want to change. I did this for the backspace keystroke, so now I have that action working with a different keystroke instead.

I only changed one shortcut, but this trick did work well for me. For more extensive customization the difficulty you may encounter is to make sure you do not step on any already assigned keystrokes (else change those too), so you should search the file for your desired new different keystroke (and hopefully NOT finding it anywhere in the file) before you change it, to make sure you do not set it to a particular keystroke that had already been assigned some other action.

Rather than any of all the software approaches in the above thread either real or imagined, I would recommend a radical alternative. I took the hardware approach, got one of those little gameboard gadgets with assignable keys...
(I chose a Logitech G13, but there are cheaper similar devices available)
LogitechG13.png
LogitechG13.png (18.75 KiB) Viewed 2408 times

... and configured it with all the notion shortcuts in a way that made sense to me. Now I have a very quick one handed notion shortcut controller that has an intuitive physical layout of my most used keystrokes so I do not even have to look down at it. I can use one hand to get the desired note durations, accents, articulations, dynamics, technique markings, etc., and keep my other hand either on the midi keyboard when doing step entry or on the mouse when doing "pointer" type editing. It is an extremely fast way to work!
dgriffee

Previous

Return to NOTION