Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

64 bit, and possible workarounds?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: 64 bit, and possible workarounds?

Postby pcartwright » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:27 pm

Perhaps this could be a way to allow users to create custom, insturment specific rules for other libraries such as LASS, JABB, etc.

What if the Notion devs assigned a bunch of unique instrument IDs for VE Pro with blank default rules. Users could save the presets with the libraries/instruments desired (load Aria or Kontakt into VE Pro), and then write rules specific to those instruments.

It may not beat the neatest way of doing things, but it could allow additional native support for 3rd party libraries and open additional RAM at the same time.
pcartwright

Postby wcreed51 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:55 pm

Wouldn’t it make more sense all around to assign Rules by staff? No instrument IDs; just a drop down list in the staff properties dialog where you’d choose VSL, EWQL, or what ever custom rules you had setup for that instrument. That would also mean that the playback engine wouldn’t have to parse through thousands of lines of XML code on every staff, and would solve the limitation of only being able to addess one instace of a VSTi with custom rules.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby pcartwright » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:43 pm

wcreed51 wrote:Wouldn’t it make more sense all around to assign Rules by staff? No instrument IDs; just a drop down list in the staff properties dialog where you’d choose VSL, EWQL, or what ever custom rules you had setup for that instrument. That would also mean that the playback engine wouldn’t have to parse through thousands of lines of XML code on every staff, and would solve the limitation of only being able to addess one instace of a VSTi with custom rules.

Are you suggesting rules files (or something to that effect) be located independently for each instrument for each library? That is, a preset called "GPO - Flute" would refer to a different rule set (txt file, prule file, etc) than a preset called "GPO - Violins I"? And, that these rules aren't simply applied under the VST ID of a plugin, but can be freely applied on any staff? This would be great!

Yes, this would certainly be ideal. Though, you'd have to make sure you assigned the correct rule with the correct patches for each project, but that may be a small price to pay for greater flexibility.

My idea was more of a "work around" that would be easy to implement with the current rules system in place. Your idea, though much easier on the end user than mine, seems to require some fundamental changes to the way Notion uses and applies rules.

Regardless, I hope the devs consider your idea if this kind of change can make Notion better and easier to use.
pcartwright

Postby wcreed51 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:56 pm

Yes, that's what I'm suggesting. All the default instruments that you add from the score setup palette would automatically get the right rules assigned.
Bill Reed
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
wcreed51

Postby arkham00 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:10 am

dedersen wrote:Another possible workaround is to use Vienna Ensemble Pro, but I really would rather avoid spending money on something I only need as a workaround.

Why the pro version is needed to do this ?
arkham00

Postby derAbgang » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:36 am

wcreed51 wrote:LoopBe is the only x64 virtual MIDI driver:
http://nerds.de/en/loopbe30.html

Some people use jBridge, and of course, there's VE Pro.

Would LoopBe be able to connect the 32-bit Notion3 with a 64-bit instance of EWSO Play?

I'm currently using jBridge and can load the Full Orchestra template fine (takes a while, but that's Play's fault, I imagine) but I'd like to be able to customize and create templates for Play that work outside of Notion3.

David
derAbgang

Postby wcreed51 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:49 am

You can, but I’m not sure you’d be able to use more than one instance of Play. That method works well with Kontakt, because it supports 4 MIDI ports in standalone mode.

Either way, you can always customize you templates in Play.

Bill
Bill Reed
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
wcreed51

Postby dgriffee » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:09 pm

derAbgang wrote:
Would LoopBe be able to connect the 32-bit Notion3 with a 64-bit instance of EWSO Play?
...to be able to customize and create templates for Play that work outside of Notion3.

I tried this, running the 64bit version of Play in four persisted instances of VEpro, and then using Loopbe to connect those four instances of VEpro to the four midi ports that notion has ("A,B,C,D" in notion midi options) and it worked pretty well, yeilding 4X16=64 different instrument channels to enable writing custom rules for every instrument.

I had some stability issues just with Loobe itself on my system though, so I uninstalled Loopbe. Other folks have had better luck with Loopbe than I did and some say it works great for them, so you should give it a try.
dgriffee

Postby wcreed51 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:57 pm

If you're using VE Pro, there's not reason to use LoopBe. Just start the 64 bit VE server before Notion, the load as VSTi. You can have as many instances as your memory allows.
Bill Reed
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
wcreed51

Previous

Return to NOTION