Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Is there an update around the corner?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Is there an update around the corner?

Postby wcreed51 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:18 am

You could always just buy a PC tablet, and do all that now!
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby pcartwright » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:30 am

sepheritoh wrote:Second guess......Total integration with some DAW?

This would be great! + 1000
+100,000 if integration were with Reaper
pcartwright

Postby pcartwright » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:31 am

wcreed51 wrote:You could always just buy a PC tablet, and do all that now!

Seriously... to get off topic just a bit, I love how tablets become the "in thing" once the iPad was introduced even though PC tablets have been around for about 10 years.
pcartwright

Postby Zblogny » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:04 am

pcartwright wrote:
sepheritoh wrote:Second guess......Total integration with some DAW?

This would be great! + 1000
+100,000 if integration were with Reaper

I'm tempted to add some more zeros...
Maybe this is not a guess, but only a dream ?
Zblogny

Postby pcartwright » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:57 pm

Zblogny wrote:I'm tempted to add some more zeros...
Maybe this is not a guess, but only a dream ?

Yes, probably a dream. I don't think DAW integration really falls under the heading of a "new product."
pcartwright

Postby dgriffee » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:05 pm

well ya know... Kyle already told us what to expect: yes they are working on "exciting new stuff" but no the next release is "not just around the corner". So their next release is going to be great but not real soon, at least that's how I read it.

They have taken a beating for not being a 64-bit host app, and that would seem to be the most obvious missing criterion they need to satisfy in order to play in the bigboys marketplace. That requires pretty much a complete code rewrite to accomplish, and the debugging of such would be quite a tough mountain to climb over. So I imagine they might well be very busy just wrestling that bit to the ground.

They may also be dealing with all manner of internal business goings on, having just gone through an extremely intensive burst of product development growth especially near the end of last year. That kind of effort can burn up a lot of capital (and sometimes people too), so give 'em a little while to catch some breath. As customers we may have gotten a little spoiled enjoying their fabulous productivity that was delivering better than monthly updates for awhile, but hey that's a sprint not a long distance pace.
dgriffee

Postby Francois2010 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:46 am

I agree with you.
I love Notion ! I love to compose !
Native langage french. Be patient with my English.
Francois2010

Postby wcreed51 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:48 am

I’d hardly say Notion's taken a beating. Neither Finale or Sibelius are 64bit, and I doubt they will be anytime soon.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby pcartwright » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:26 am

I have to echo wcreed51's comments.

I don't think being a 32 bit app really hurt Notion much if at all. It would be good if Notion implemented its own 32-64 bit bridger/wrapper or if they had a rewire bridger, but I don’t see how the performance would be dramatically improved as a 64 bit app compared to the current platform with JBridge.

Notion simply needs to expand its notation and formatting options (most of which have been outlined as feature requests, bugs, etc) in order to play with the big boys (Finale and Sibelius) on the notation side.

From a production side, Notion just needs to add native syncing support (MTC or LTC; instead of relying on a plugin [see link below]), refine its rewire implementation (also outlined in feature requests and bug reports), and increase the number of natively supported 3rd party libraries. Most production requests could be solved with better syncing capabilities and Notion’s appeal will expand dramatically if additional libraries were supported.

------------------------

MTC solution thread (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1470)
pcartwright

Postby sepheritoh » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:36 am

+1111 for 64 bit

Sure, maybe they are not behind the other big names on this front, but just imagine how they can win customers by being the first.

The big advantage of 64 bit is the memory. I run into memory problems all the time. I have lots of these memory hungry libraries I want to use with Notion. There is a definite advantage to be gained.

Maybe a propper disc streaming sampler would solve my problems. Currently I do not have such a thing - or maybe I have, I just do not know it!
sepheritoh

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION