Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Making a PDF from Notion file

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Making a PDF from Notion file

Postby jonknowles8 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:42 am

I am trying to get some music to a teacher for his comments and he does not yet have Notion (is getting it soon). He is using Finale at present. (I have an old version of Finale but never use it. Same with Sibelius, Logic for the PC and Harmony Assistant.) I am on a PC.

In the meantime, he suggests sending an MP3 file and a PDF file of each piece. For the sound file, I can go Notion to wav file to MP3. No problem there. I can also print the score and then scan it to PDF (I have a scanner that does that well). However, I'd rather not print out scores; I'd rather send email attachments. Is there another way to go?

I see Notion can export in XML format but I am not familiar with how MusicXML works.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jon
jonknowles8

Re: Making a PDF from Notion file

Postby jonknowles8 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:13 am

On further looking into this...

I see I can go to File/Print and if I have a PDF maker installed, can make a PDF file. I have two installed.

PrimoPDF makes a good PDF file. PageManagerPDF writer makes a very poor PDF (no names of instruments, etc.)

There may be other ways, but this one works fine.

Jon
jonknowles8

Postby scarter » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:41 am

CutePDF has a free version that works fine with Notion.

Steve
scarter

Postby Surfwhammy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:48 pm

If you are on the Mac, then everything required for doing PDF is there . . .

I did a PDF of part of the score for "I'm Going Goo-Goo Over Ga-Ga" (The Surf Whammys) as an example of some of the things one can do in Notion 3 for silly DISCO songs as part of a discussion in the GuitarZone.com FORUM, which is one of my favorite forums, and after doing a bit of experimenting I decided that using a custom page size works best, although it will not print unless you have a really big printer . . .

Without setting the Notion 3 page size to a custom size, what happens is that you get parts of instruments on standard size pages but without any easily seen organization for viewing on a computer, so I did a few experiments and determined the correct custom size so that all the instruments would appear on one custom page, which makes it a lot easier to read on a computer . . .

[NOTE: This was before I added a lot of "sparkles", so there actually are more instruments than shown in this version of the score, but so what . . . ]

http://www.surfwhammys.com/Im-Going-Goo-Goo-Over-Ga-Ga-Really-Big-Score.pdf

This is the current version of "I'm Going Goo-Goo Over Ga-Ga" (The Surf Whammys), where at present all the instruments are done with Notion 3, although I plan to add a real electric lead guitar solo in a while, which is fabulous . . .

http://surfwhammys.com/Im-Going-Goo-Goo-Over-Ga-Ga-11-28-2010-2-DP7.mp3

Fabulous! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Return to NOTION