Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Is there something I'm missing, or is this a big problem?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Is there something I'm missing, or is this a big problem?

Postby lazerlike42 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:39 pm

Been making a lot of negative-sounding posts lately. Not my intention - just coming across things as I do and trying to work with them. So in any case, from what I can tell, techniques can never cancel one another out. This means that if I have an espressivo mark, for example, and then put in a pizzicato one, and then another espressivo one to return to playing that way, then the violin is still going to play pizzicato (if the pizz rule is below the espr one). The only way to avoid this this is to add a normale every time I want to end some technique.

Of course, I can hide those normales as far as playback goes. I can also understand why one might want to allow for more than one technique at a time. I suppose I can imagine two techniques that, when used together, would have a different effect, and so one wouldn't want the second to cancel out the first.

Still, this seems a little iffy to me, so I want to make sure I'm not missing something.
lazerlike42

Re: Is there something I'm missing, or is this a big problem?

Postby pcartwright » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:49 pm

There are a few techniques in the Notion sound bank that have been noted to cause issues (such as having to input a normale direction when switching between pizz and Bartok pizz); these are, of course, bugs. Please post the issues you see as bugs.

If you’re talking about techniques that don’t cancel as they should for other libraries (GPO, Miroslav, VSL, EWQLSO), then you should check the technique list txt file. This list defines certain techniques and establishes which techniques are synonymous and which ones can be used to cancel or reset.

I’m not that familiar with the technique list file; I just know that it’s there and may warrant review.
pcartwright

Postby lazerlike42 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:31 pm

pcartwright wrote:If you’re talking about techniques that don’t cancel as they should for other libraries (GPO, Miroslav, VSL, EWQLSO), then you should check the technique list txt file. This list defines certain techniques and establishes which techniques are synonymous and which ones can be used to cancel or reset.

I’m not that familiar with the technique list file; I just know that it’s there and may warrant review.

First of all, thanks for the response. :)

Now I thought that the techniquelist.xml file only affected which techniques appear in the pallette - not that it was able to set rules or canceling or resetting techniques.
lazerlike42

Postby pcartwright » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:59 pm

Sorry, I meant to say expression list. Look for start techniques and end techniques.
pcartwright

Postby lazerlike42 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:59 am

pcartwright wrote:Sorry, I meant to say expression list. Look for start techniques and end techniques.

Ahhh this is wonderful! Thanks so much!
lazerlike42

Return to NOTION