Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

should I get GPO?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: should I get GPO?

Postby lazerlike42 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:38 pm

Dewdman42 wrote:Thanks for the help. I found the file, made the edits. Things seem to work, I have no idea yet whether legato mode is working or not yet or how to verify this prules file is being used, but anyway, no errors.

I see all those notion files in same general area, one for each instrument, so obviously those are used when I go into score setup and select Garritan instruments. Too bad it is creating seperate instances of Aria each time. Anyone know a way around that? How can I know for sure this particular prules file is being used? If I manually create a new score and add the aria player mayself and create the score the hardway, how can I make sure it will use this prules?

After reading through this, I'm a little dissapointed to find out Notion can't support GPO trills, but anyway, I will play with this a while.

Let me try this one thing at a time. First, the easiest way I've found to make sure the legato is working is to take a single staff for violins or cellos or something (or just use the mixer to solo one of the string staffs) and then write one or two measures of quarter notes and then try playing it back with and without a slur over them. it should sound at least somewhat different.

It is possible to eliminate the different instances of Aria if you like, but it's got such a small footprint that it's probably not worth the effort unless you're really running into resource problems. It's not EastWest's Play or anything, and I at least have yet to have a problem with a full orchestral score of some 25+ odd instances going at once. If you really want to take the time, I can help explain what would be involved.

To make sure the file you edited is being used, you could always edit the file and make some obvious change, such as taking one of the rules for, say, pizzicato and then changing it to the tremolo key switch or something. Then, go ahead and put a pizz. marking on some staff and see if it starts playing tremolo. If so, congratulations, you've edited the correct file!

Finally, why do you say trills aren't supported?
lazerlike42

Postby Dewdman42 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:39 pm

one of you said that Notion has trill samples or something so basically to do trills in notion you have to do some seperate track thing, yuck.
Dewdman42

Postby lazerlike42 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:44 pm

Dewdman42 wrote:another question I have for you guys, in looking at the prules file, i see a lot of instrument-id references and I have absolutely no idea where those numbers come from. That is the kind info i need to figure out a prules file for Kirk Hunter. But where on earth are those instrument-id's defined such that they can be referenced by this prules file?

There are ways to do it. Supposedly, it's harder to figure out on a Mac but it is not impossible. For starters, do two things: on the Notion homepage, click on the support tab and choose downloads, then go to the "additional" tab. Download the one about custom rules and look it over. It will help and will probably answer some of your questions. Second, there is a 3 video tutorial about custom rules on the Notion3 video page. Take a look at those. Fortunately for you, the guy is using a Mac in the video!
lazerlike42

Postby Dewdman42 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:53 pm

oh yea I read all that already. What I am saying is this, in the GPO_aria.prules files I see for example the following:

Code: Select all
          <rule>
                <if instrument-id="13057" />
                <set-flag name="strs" />
          </rule>

Where is 13057 defined?

-
Dewdman42

Postby lazerlike42 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:22 pm

Dewdman42 wrote:one of you said that Notion has trill samples or something so basically to do trills in notion you have to do some seperate track thing, yuck.

For half step trills: <if technique = "trhf" />

For whole step: <if technique = "trwh" />
lazerlike42

Postby Dewdman42 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:23 pm

I read on this forum that GPO doesn't have sampled trills, it uses playing techniques instead...and notion doesn't translate to that properly. is that incorrect?
Dewdman42

Postby Dewdman42 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:29 pm

well I don't know what they were saying on the other post. Trill works fine when I test here with GPO clarinet. hehe.
Dewdman42

Postby lazerlike42 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:37 pm

Dewdman42 wrote:well I don't know what they were saying on the other post. Trill works fine when I test here with GPO clarinet. hehe.

Keep two things in mind: a lot of these posts you read on the forums are from older builds. Notion seems to be updated relatively frequently, compared to many other pieces of software, and each time there are real, substantial additions. Support for GPO as a whole, for example, was not present when Notion 3 was first released, AFAIK. I know that there was a period of time when many of the GPO techniques were not available from the palette, but since then things seem to be corrected.

This is why, by they way, you should always back up any edited rules files into a separate location. The next time Notion released an update, it will overwrite your rules file. Of course, there may be improvements, but its also possible that it will just be the same old rules file you had edited and the improvements are in other parts of the software or in other rules files.
lazerlike42

Postby Dewdman42 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:46 pm

good to know. Thanks.
Dewdman42

Postby pcartwright » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:37 pm

lazerlike42 wrote:
Dewdman42 wrote:another question I have for you guys, in looking at the prules file, i see a lot of instrument-id references and I have absolutely no idea where those numbers come from. That is the kind info i need to figure out a prules file for Kirk Hunter. But where on earth are those instrument-id's defined such that they can be referenced by this prules file?

There are ways to do it.

Not to go too far OT, but are you saying you can assign plugin IDs to other VST instruments (other than the four that are currently supported)? I didn't think that was available. I was under the impression that instrument specific rules could only be written for GPO, VL, EWQLSO, and Miroslav; other plugins could only have broad, plugin rules (for example, rules for kontakt couldn't differentiate between an acoustic guitar from the Chris Heinz library and a violin section from LASS).
pcartwright

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION