Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Using Overlays for loud dynamics

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Using Overlays for loud dynamics

Postby lazerlike42 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:36 pm

I'm considering purchasing Notion 3, and am currently playing around with the demo. I would be using it with a variety of libraries, including Garritan, EastWest, possibly Miroslav, along with some other less common ones.

As I was fiddling around with Garritan staffs today, I came upon a question about using overlay patches. Garritan has overlay patches for f and ff dynamics on the brass instruments, to get that raspy punch. Is there a way to get these overlays to be used when playing above a certain dynamic level? If I understand things correctly, I can set up the overlay in a different channel in the Garritan VST window and then insert instrument changes in the staff whenever I go to or from a fortissimo dynamic, but apart from the inconvenience of it (which I can tolerate), the overlays aren't meant to be used alone, but to overlay on top of the regular patch, so this isn't really a solution.

Is there some way to edit the rules to add a second channel or something with certain dynamics, or some other way to make this work without having to add a dummy staff (which really defeats the purpose of having a notation program in the first place; I can just stick to a sequencer if I'm going to have to deal with that kind of stuff)?
lazerlike42

Re: Using Overlays for loud dynamics

Postby lazerlike42 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:29 pm

Hmmmm..... Upon thinking about it, at least in Garritan I could put the overlay and the standard patch on the same channel, and then set up a channel change for the accent mark in Notion. Any other ideas?
lazerlike42

Return to NOTION