Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

composing entirely in Notion - my issues...

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

composing entirely in Notion - my issues...

Postby piotr979 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:16 am

I am struggling to compose entirely in Notion as I had some troubles when I imported Midi files to Sonar or Reaper (especially keyswitches).
However I have few issues - some minor and some very annoying :)

I use Notion with EW Gold orchestra, Garritan, KorePlayer (NI True strike percussion library) and Kontakt (some Bela D Media products). Computer: PC windows 7 64bit, core 2 duo 2.66, 6 gb ram, HD : 250GB and 1TB, Alesis io express.

1. At first cresc./dim. - Most of the times it doesn't work. I tried various ways like adding volume at first than adding hairpins or hairpins first then volume ,etc. It worked for me only few times.
2. there is also a big difference between dynamics p and mp. I'm not sure if it's just me, but mp is louder three times then p. and there is no so sudden difference among others. Is it normal???

3. when I use garritan instruments I use Modulation (CC1) to change volume. And I found that You can record and edit it only in real time, so You cannot edit these changes by painting lines or even change value of each CC. You have to record it again (real time only again). or I am wrong...??

4. Modulation (CC1) sometimes stops to work. When I move modulation well instead of expected volume change or timbre (EWQL Gold and DXF instruments), nothing happens or just a little. In this case I have to restart Notion.

5. Annoying windows of EWQL when Notion loads samples. I know - it's not Notion's issue itself, but.. is any way to avoid it? I have to click at least five times to confirm that there is not enough memory before project is loaded.

These are issues that I encountered so far, if anyone knows answers or maybe have some solutions please let me know, I would be very thankfully, :!:

Cheers,
piotr.
piotr979

Re: composing entirely in Notion - my issues...

Postby Beardedone » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:02 am

Hi Pitr,

I am have the same issues that you are experiencing. Let's hope that we can get some answers. I would like to add also that I cannot find how to edit note velocity. There must be a way to edit this per note.

Thanks,
Gordon
Beardedone

Postby kelldammit » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:27 am

Beardedone wrote:Hi Pitr,

I am have the same issues that you are experiencing. Let's hope that we can get some answers. I would like to add also that I cannot find how to edit note velocity. There must be a way to edit this per note.

Thanks,
Gordon

on pc, select the note and use alt+up/down arrows to adjust velocities in increments of 10. shift+alt+up/down arrows are finer control, allowing adjustments in increments of 1. it's in the manual, though you may have to enable the sequencer overlay in View options.
:)

k
kelldammit

Postby Admin » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:15 pm

piotr979 wrote:I am struggling to compose entirely in Notion as I had some troubles when I imported Midi files to Sonar or Reaper (especially keyswitches).
However I have few issues - some minor and some very annoying :)

I use Notion with EW Gold orchestra, Garritan, KorePlayer (NI True strike percussion library) and Kontakt (some Bela D Media products). Computer: PC windows 7 64bit, core 2 duo 2.66, 6 gb ram, HD : 250GB and 1TB, Alesis io express.

1. At first cresc./dim. - Most of the times it doesn't work. I tried various ways like adding volume at first than adding hairpins or hairpins first then volume ,etc. It worked for me only few times.
2. there is also a big difference between dynamics p and mp. I'm not sure if it's just me, but mp is louder three times then p. and there is no so sudden difference among others. Is it normal???

3. when I use garritan instruments I use Modulation (CC1) to change volume. And I found that You can record and edit it only in real time, so You cannot edit these changes by painting lines or even change value of each CC. You have to record it again (real time only again). or I am wrong...??

4. Modulation (CC1) sometimes stops to work. When I move modulation well instead of expected volume change or timbre (EWQL Gold and DXF instruments), nothing happens or just a little. In this case I have to restart Notion.

5. Annoying windows of EWQL when Notion loads samples. I know - it's not Notion's issue itself, but.. is any way to avoid it? I have to click at least five times to confirm that there is not enough memory before project is loaded.

These are issues that I encountered so far, if anyone knows answers or maybe have some solutions please let me know, I would be very thankfully, :!:

Cheers,
piotr.

Piotr,

Best bet is for you to contact Brian in tech support. Your problems have more to do with setting up your system correctly and the external libraries you're using than N3's functionality. Give him a call and I'm sure he can help out...or at least give you some answers.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby piotr979 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:48 pm

Thank You Admin, I will :)

Piotr
piotr979

Postby Beardedone » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:10 pm

Thanks so much K! I really dislike reading manuals on screen since I am so accustomed to reading in print.

Cheers,
Beardedone

Return to NOTION