Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 3, DISCO Songs, and Sparkles

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Notion 3, DISCO Songs, and Sparkles

Postby Surfwhammy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:14 am

Over the past year, I made a lot of significant progress on this stuff, and most recently I discovered that there is a way to do a monaural preview of the stereo master track in Digital Performer 7.24 (MOTU), which is done via selecting "Mono" in the "folddown" drop-down list box . . .

DP7 Master Stereo Track ~ Monaural Preview Mode

And I discovered that there is a way to do true stereo panning in Digital Performer 7.24, which is done via the Trim plug-in that comes with Digital Performer 7.2.4 . . .

[NOTE: The NOTION 3 Mixer has true stereo panning controls, which is stellar! ]

Trim Plug-In (MOTU) ~ Showing the Left and RIght Channels Reversed

I also solved the studio monitor problem, which was a matter of discovering how to construct a full-range studio monitor system using self-powered Kustom PA loudspeaker units, including a pair of deep bass subwoofers, where for reference "full-range" refers to the full range of normal human hearing, which is 20-Hz to 20,000-Hz and is the only way a fundamental tone hearer can mix and master accurately, because fundamental tone hearers are not tricked or fooled by the Missing Fundamental auditory illusion, hence mix and master based entirely on what they hear, with the basic problem being that there are no commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) full-range studio monitor systems currently available anywhere on this planet--hence the requirement for a custom-designed solution--all of which is documented in my ongoing topic in the IK Multimedia FORUM, for sure . . .

Missing Fundamental Auditory Illusion (wikipedia)

The Fabulous Affordable Studio Monitor System Project (IK Multimedia FORUM)

For sure! :ugeek:

"Sparkling" is coming along nicely, as is discovering and quantifying the rules for panning, and most recently I have started doing electric lead guitar solos via music notation, which might at some future time map to being able to play lead guitar solos by sight-reading music notation, which has the potential for being a useful skill, although I continue to play real lead guitar solos "by ear". . .

Everything is working nicely in Mac OS X 10.7.4 (Lion), and most recently I decided to start using MachFive 3 (MOTU) for a few VSTi virtual instruments, which required getting an iLok 2 USB dongle, even though generally I avoid using software that requires a dongle . . .

And instead of taking three months to do a song, now it takes about two weeks, and as I become more proficient in music notation I think this can be improved to one week or perhaps just a few days, which is one of the goals here in the sound isolation studio, since the people of this planet certainly need a lot more silly DISCO and Pop songs about ladies underpants, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :P
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Previous

Return to NOTION