Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 3, DISCO Songs, and Sparkles

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Notion 3, DISCO Songs, and Sparkles

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:53 pm

Nearly one year after discovering Notion 3 and IK Multimedia virtual instruments, as well as realizing that I know enough about music notation to have a bit of FUN, I am quite pleased with the progress here in the sound isolation studio, where due to some fabulous discounts on IK Multimedia virtual instruments (including a truly stellar Musician's Friend "Stupid Deal of the Day") I recently added SampleMoog and Sonik Synth 2 to the set of IK Multimedia virtual instruments, mostly for purposes of adding some Dubstep, Techno, and Trance sounds to the DISCO and Pop songs that will be on the Surf Whammys upcoming album, "Electric Underpants™", which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous!

As it happens, while initially I thought that doing Dubstep sounds was going to be extraordinarily difficult, it actually is a bit trivial to do in music notation, where one strategy is to use "sparkled" staccato or staccatissimo accents and tuplets once you have the correct sounds, although for more vastly asynchronous Dubstep stuff it probably requires doing a bit of creative soundbite editing in Digital Performer 7, which also is easy to do when only the timing of a section of a soundbite needs to be changed by shifting it on the timeline or doing a bit of "slicing" . . .

[NOTE: As best as I can determine, Dubstep is supposed be done at 140 beats per minute, but this song is done at 200 beats per minute, which is fine with me, since I mostly use "Dubstep" to describe sounds rather than tempo . . . ]

Last week I had an idea for a rhythm guitar chord pattern, and since the chords were a bit complex I decided to use Notion 3 to make a chord chart, since Notion 3 has a virtual guitar fretboard and it is easier to use than drawing chord diagrams with pencil and paper, except that some of the chords require adding notes in music notation, since they are so non-standard that the virtual guitar fretboard rules do not allow some strings to be played, which is a bit strange, but so what . . .

So what!

For example, one of my favorite strange chords is a simple open-position C major chord but with the C played by the index finger on the high-pitch "b" string lifted, which I suppose makes more of an odd E chord than a C chord . . .

The "work-around" is easy, and it involves using the virtual guitar fretboard to make a C major chord but then to switch to music notation, where the C on the high-pitch "b" string is changed manually to a B, and the resulting six notes from low-pitch to high-pitch are {E, C, E, G, B, E} . . .

And this chord is so strange that as best as I have been able to determine, it does not have a proper name, which is fine with me, since I consider it to be more of a Jazz chord than anything else . . .

After getting the chords transcribed and working nicely in music notation, I had a bit of FUN with a melody line, and then I started working on what I call the "basic rhythm section", which so far has mapped approximately to 50 hours, which includes a bit of experimenting and listening time, really . . .

[NOTE: This is the basic rhythm section for "(Baby You Were) Only Dreaming" (The Surf Whammys), and everything is done with music notation in Notion 3 using IK Multimedia virtual instruments. The MP3 is approximately 9.2MB and has a resolution of 280-kbps (VBR) and runs for 4 minutes and 24 seconds. It is a headphone mix, which is the way I do mixing when I am working on a song. The overall structure is {PABACABACABAE}, where "P" is the prologue or intro; "A" is the chorus where the name of the song is repeated six times; "B" is the verse; "C" is the Dubstep bridge or interlude; and "E" is the epilogue or outro. There are 25 separate instruments, which is at the upper limit of what Notion 3 can handle with respect to "heavy" IK Multimedia virtual instruments on the 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro (Mac OS X 10.6.7), so at this point I switch to working with cloned Notion 3 scores to add more instruments and the mixing moves to Digital Performer 7 once I get the various Notion 3 generated audio tracks into Digital Performer 7 via ReWire where the Notion 3 generated audio is recorded as soundbites, which works nicely and makes it practical to add more instruments for doing elaborate "sparkling" and so forth . . . ]

http://surfwhammys.com/Baby-You-Were-Only-Dreaming-Basic-Rhythm-Section-PT-1.mp3

Really!

P. S. These are the lyrics for the chorus, which make sense if you focus on the chord pattern and timing, since there is a half note (two-count) at the end of the measure before the start of the second half of the chorus, which is where the "Yeah" appears. I had to listen to the song over and over for several days to make sense of the chorus chord pattern in terms of recognizing the correct lyrics, which is the way it works sometimes here in the sound isolation studio, where listening is a key activity, since the aliens from outer space beam this stuff to me and I basically have no idea how to make sense of it until I listen to it for a while, which is fabulous . . .

Baby you were only . . .
Baby you were only . . .
Baby you were only dreaming!

Yeah, baby you were only . . .
Baby you were only . . .
Baby you were only dreaming!

©2011 RAE Multimedia

Fabulous! :)
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby dcuny » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:27 pm

Your "strange chord" is a Cmaj7 chord in open position. You'll find it as the default Cmaj7 chord in the Notion guitar palette.

Most guitarists mute the low 'E' when playing it, but if you like the 'E' in the bass, you can notate it as Cmaj7/E.
dcuny

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:58 pm

dcuny wrote:Your "strange chord" is a Cmaj7 chord in open position. You'll find it as the default Cmaj7 chord in the Notion guitar palette.

Most guitarists mute the low 'E' when playing it, but if you like the 'E' in the bass, you can notate it as Cmaj7/E.

Great! :)

That is what I was thinking it might be, but I pretty much stopped looking for it after a while of not finding any information in online guitar chord charts and so forth, which probably was due to not knowing the proper name, since it is easy to find if I search on "Cmaj7" . . .

This is one of the ways I use the chord, where it is the first chord in a 36-chord pattern, and the first 6 chords are shown in the diagram, which is more of a Jazz type of thing, although it just as easily could be DISCO or Pop:

For reference, since I did not know the proper name for the chord, I was using general chord charts, so the results were not so good, and the chord over a bass note thing also is a bit new, so while the chord started as a simple three-finger C major chord, if you consider it as an E chord, then it is pretty strange, since C maps to a minor sixth and G is a minor third . . .

There are a lot of chords like this one, where you start with a commonly used simple open-position chord but remove or shift one of the fingered notes, where a strange type of open-position G major chord is nice with the two-finger C chord, and the notes from low-pitch to high-pitch are {G, B, F, G, B, E}, which I suppose could be a G7 with some type of added sixth (the E note,which is the relative minor third of G, which as I recall makes it a sixth) . . .

These are easy chords to play, and I like they way they sound, for sure . . .

For sure! :)
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby dcuny » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:26 pm

In general, if you can arrange the notes as a stack of diatonic thirds, that'll often be the preferred solution. The presence of a perfect fifth is also strong indicator of the real root. But there are other factors.

The {G, B, F, G, B, E} could be heard as a Em(maj7), but it's not likely. With the E voiced so high, the G7(add6) is a much more probable solution.

When you're playing with the guitar shifting one note up and down, you'll often end up with notes that are best understood as temporary passing notes rather than parts of full-fledged chords.
dcuny

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:30 pm

dcuny wrote:In general, if you can arrange the notes as a stack of diatonic thirds, that'll often be the preferred solution. The presence of a perfect fifth is also strong indicator of the real root. But there are other factors.

The {G, B, F, G, B, E} could be heard as a Em(maj7), but it's not likely. With the E voiced so high, the G7(add6) is a much more probable solution.

When you're playing with the guitar shifting one note up and down, you'll often end up with notes that are best understood as temporary passing notes rather than parts of full-fledged chords.

Thanks for the explanation!
:)

Guitar chords are making a lot more sense now that I am working with chords in music notation in Notion 3 and can see how the chords look and hear how the chords sound, which for the most part is a bit of new experience with chords that are more complex than simple triads like C major, C minor, and so forth . . .

I know most of the rules, but I know them more in terms of being able to get the correct answer if I think about it for a while rather than in terms of getting the correct answer instantly without needing to think about it for a moment . . .

I can sight-sing virtually any melody on the treble clef, which is something I learned how to do at an early age when I was in a liturgical boys choir, although these days I need to transpose it to baritone or tenor, but this is not something I can do easily with chords or in some instances even with two-part harmonies, but the more I work with elaborate chords, the more sense they make, which is one of the benefits of using Notion 3 when one knows music notation but mostly is a "play by ear" musician, which is fabulous . . .

P. S. Regarding being able to sight-sing treble clef melodies easily, one of the really great aspects of Notion 3 is that I can define a treble clef in such a way that the notes are played lower by two octaves, which is what I do for bass guitar, bowed contrabass, and bass synthesizer parts, since for me all the other clefs (bass, baritone, tenor, alto, and so forth) simply are confusing, because I have to stop and think for a moment to remember how many semitones upward or downward they are transposed, since the fact of the matter is that I think in treble clef, where everything is very simple, since according to my rules (a) there are 12 notes in an octave and (b) there are approximately 8 octaves, all of which are identical, so I only need to understand 12 notes intimately, since everything else differs only by octave, which also is the way I conceptualize a drumkit, where there is a virtual festival of flavors of what in an absolute mathematical sense maps to 1 generic drum, which can be a drum, Latin percussion instrument, cowbell, pitched percussion instrument, or anything else, including grand piano, really . . .

[NOTE: This is an example of playing grand piano as if it were a drumkit, which took me about 20 years to learn, during which time I mostly only thought about it, since it appeared to be a fascinating experiment designed to determine whether it was possible to discover how to play grand piano without actually playing a grand piano for more than perhaps 100 hours over two decades. More recently, it appears that what I really did was to discover a way to enhance the Frontal Eye Fields (FEF) region of my brain for purposes of playing percussive musical instruments, which is the only plausible explanation for being able to play grand piano notes so rapidly, although playing through cascading sets of echo units helps. For reference, the grand piano actually is a preset on a KORG Triton Music Workstation (88-Keys) that also has a bit of synthesized fog, and this is a single grand piano part that was composed and played on the fly in real-time with no advance planning or composing, although I knew the chords, which were composed in advanced and practiced extensively on guitar, even though the guitar chords are not heard in this mix, so it actually is playing to a very specific chord pattern, which literally makes it like playing a drumkit, except that the drumkit is a keyboard with 88 "drums" and the "drum sticks" are my fingers, and it helps to consume huge quantities of very strong coffee, since getting in touch with my "inner idiot savant" works better when I have a major coffee buzz happening, which I can do safely, since I have the complete festival of what I call the "South American Coffee Achiever Genes", which basically maps to being able to drink two pots of coffee made from half a pound of ground coffee and then to take a nap if I want to want to do a bit of focused dreaming, which for me is an excellent way to solve vastly complex computer programming problems, which is something that computer programmers tend to discover very quickly soon after Boolean logic starts making sense . . . ]

This fast brain pathway also provides auditory input at even shorter times starting at 24 ms and being affected by auditory characteristics at 30–60 ms

[SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontal_eye_fields ]

http://www.surfwhammys.com/music/11_Starlight_2.2_Grand_Piano.mp3

Really! :)
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby dcuny » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:04 am

It really pays off to learn each clef - or at least the bass clef - on it's terms, instead of trying to translate is from the treble clef.

If you have to "transpose" the bass clef, I think it's easier to think of it in terms of a "shifted" treble clef:
ShiftingClef.jpg
ShiftingClef.jpg (2.32 KiB) Viewed 10097 times
That is, the [A,C,E] of the top 3 spaces on the treble clef correspond to the first three spaces on bass clef, but sound two octaves below.

It's not elegant, but at least you don't have to think in terms of semitones. 8-)

But really, the time it takes to learn the notes on the bass clef and where they correspond on the piano keyboard is time well spent.

For the guitar progression you posted, here's my best guess at the chords:

Cmaj7 B7
Emaj7 Am9
F#dim C#m7b5

The Am9 is a Amaj7 chord barred on the third fret, which turns it into a Cmaj7 chord. Lifting the finger from the 5th string gives you (roughly) a Cmaj7/A = Am9, which is a nice stack of thirds [A,C,E,G,B]:

Cmaj7 and Am9.jpg
Cmaj7 and Am9.jpg (4.04 KiB) Viewed 10097 times

Lifting the barre entirely makes it easier to play, and while it's not a "true" Am9 chord, it's a pleasant sound:
Am9-ish.jpg
Am9-ish.jpg (2.3 KiB) Viewed 10097 times
dcuny

Postby Surfwhammy » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:30 pm

dcuny wrote:For the guitar progression you posted, here's my best guess at the chords:

Cmaj7 B7
Emaj7 Am9
F#dim C#m7b5

The Am9 is a Amaj7 chord barred on the third fret, which turns it into a Cmaj7 chord. Lifting the finger from the 5th string gives you (roughly) a Cmaj7/A = Am9, which is a nice stack of thirds [A,C,E,G,B]:

Lifting the barre entirely makes it easier to play, and while it's not a "true" Am9 chord, it's a pleasant sound:

Great! :)

Except for the C#m7b5, this makes sense to me, but as explained below I think there is a better name for the last chord . . .

Being primarily a play "by ear" musician, over the years I have devised a pretty strange but useful system for naming chords, which is based on either (a) the name of a song where the chord is used or (b) the name of a musician or singer who played or sang a song where the chord is used, which is the way play "by ear" folks got the idea for the name of the "Jimi Hendrix" or "Purple Haze" chord, which is the basic idea . . .

In some respects, it is similar to the Nashville Numbering System, except that it is more local and tends to make sense only to people who happen to listen to exactly the same songs, so it is more iconic in the sense that once you hear the chord and its name, then it is easy to remember, which is the way icons work . . .

For example, this is what I call the "Tighten Up" chord (a personal favorite), since the first time I heard it used was in the song "Tighten Up" (Archie Bell & The Drells) . . .

The "Tighten-Up" Chord

"Tighten Up" (Archie Bell & The Drells) -- YouTube music video

I like four note rhythm guitar chords, which I call "tight chords", and I divide them into three categories (low, middle, and high) based on which four adjacent strings are used . . .

The last chord is what I call a "middle ninth", since it is like a "low ninth" but upward by a fourth, so I am not certain about it being a C#m7b5 for this particular song, although it is entirely possible that what I call a "ninth" actually is something else . . .

[NOTE: I am fine with it being a C#m7b5, but I think there is a better alternative name for the chord as it is used in this song . . . ]

For example, if you play "Stormy Monday" in what I call the key of A, which in my universe maps to whatever the first chord of the verse happens to be, which in this example maps to an A Major Barre chord, then the next chord is what I call the "Stormy Monday" chord, which also is the "James Brown" chord, and its notes are {x, D, F#, C, E, A}, where its identifying root is on the high-pitch "e" string, which curiously makes it a low "Stormy Monday" or a low "James Brown" . . .

The four highest pitch notes of the low "Stormy Monday" chord in A are the same as the notes of the last chord in my diagram when its highest pitch note is an A at the 10th fret of the high-pitch "b" string, which is played with the little or pinky finger, so in my system it is a "middle Stormy Monday" E or a "middle James Brown" E, and it is the top part of a "ninth', which is yet another name for the "Stormy Monday" chord . . .

However, while it is part of a "ninth", it is more correct that the last chord probably is an Em6 or something similar, where the C# is the major sixth and G is the minor third . . .

The first five names look right, and I like how the last chord being an Em6 (or some type of E chord) fits with the progression . . .

This also fits nicely with the F#dim being a whole step higher than the Em6 (or whatever it is), which is the way I hear it when I am working on middle and high "tight" chord scales or patterns . . .

Mostly, I focus on middle and high "tight chords", but I am starting to develop more patterns for low "tight chords", which is like playing chords on a bass guitar or string bass . . .

This is the complete rhythm guitar chord pattern for the verse, chorus, bridge, and interlude of the song, and most of the chords are "tight chords", but there also are some six-string open-position and Barre chords, and if I remember correctly, there are 36 chords, more or less . . .

[NOTE: This is played on a Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster run directly to a MOTU 828mkII and recorded in Digital Performer (MOTU), and there is a little bit of reverberation and phaser added but just enough to give some blur and sustain, as well as emphasizing the "quacking" of the Stratocaster pickups . . . ]

"Starlight" (The Surf Whammys) -- Rhythm Guitar Chord Pattern -- MP3 (5.8MB, 275-kbps [VBR], approximately 2 minutes and 45 seconds)

Regarding the Am9 chord, I really like it, but I play it with four fingers rather than as a Barre chord, which is the way I play all the "tight chords" and is one of the reasons that I call them "tight chords", with the other reason being that the notes differ by smaller intervals, which makes it a bit like playing the game "Twister" with fingers . . .

Mostly, these are what I consider to be Jazz chords, although the four-finger Am9 high "tight chord" works nicely on Beatles songs, and I think that John Lennon used it a lot, since he also played "tight chords", as well as a full Barre chords, where I categorize Barre chords as "low" when the root note is on the low-pitch "E" string and "middle" when the root note is on the low-pitch "A" string), since I started on string bass and then switched to electric bass, so I tend to relate chords to bass notes, except for "tight chords", which I map to treble clef notes rather than to bass guitar notes . . .

Doing music notation in Notion 3 is helping me blend all these strange chord naming systems into something a bit more logical and organized, and it is possible that I might be able to play bass and guitar from music notation, sooner or later, which is fabulous . . .

The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby dcuny » Sun May 01, 2011 3:23 am

See this link as well as this link for more details.

Diminished chords are interesting animals. From a jazz perspective, the viiº can be considered a rootless V7 chord. In reference to the overtone series, the diminished chord lacks both a perfect fifth and a major third, making it a very dissonant sound. It's a stack of minor thirds, and typically the 4 note version adds yet another minor third, and is called a º7 (diminished 7 or just dim7).

While it's called a dim7 chord, but it's really a dim6. Go figure.

The dim7 has a particularly useful quality that any of the notes could be considered the root. Said another way, none of the notes in a dim7 is a particularly strong root. So it can be used to harmonize a passing dissonant tone without giving it undo harmonic emphasis.

On the other hand, your chord - a C#m7b5 - is used less frequently. It's diatonic viiº7 in the key of D Major. Plus, it's got a "true" dominant 7th, which makes it function as a temporary V7. The dim7, lacking a "true" 7th, has no such harmonic function, which is why it's ideal as a passing chord.

The "Tighten Up" chord is a GMaj7 chord. You can think of it as an FMaj7 form barred on the second fret. Or you could go back and see how it's derived from the open E chord:
E Major.jpg
E major chord.
E Major.jpg (4.18 KiB) Viewed 10088 times

Barre the E on the third fret, it becomes a G chord:
Barred G Major.jpg
Open E barred on 3rd fret = G major
Barred G Major.jpg (4.73 KiB) Viewed 10088 times

The Major7th tone is found a half step below the root. So drop the top 'G' in the chord a half step to an 'F#' and you get a GMaj7:
GMaj7.jpg
Gmaj7 chord.
GMaj7.jpg (4.57 KiB) Viewed 10088 times

That's a version of the chord requires 6 fingers (5 if you use a partial barre). That's a bit much for us lazy guitarists.

If you drop the two low strings, you get a form of the chord which is easier to play. That's where your "Tighten Up" chord derives from:
dcuny

Postby Surfwhammy » Sun May 01, 2011 9:30 am

dcuny wrote:Diminished chords are interesting animals.

This is one of the things I like about the fifth chord in the set of six chords, since it works nicely in a series, and it also is the same finger pattern as the last chord, so from one pattern there are a lot of useful chords, because the same finger pattern works on the lowest-pitch four strings, although it is a very strange chord on the lowest-pitch four strings . . .

And since I have not done a lot with Roman numeral notation and the terms "augmented" and "diminished" with respect to general classes of chords (as contrasted to individual notes or intervals), the only one of these chords that I specifically call a "diminished" chord is the fifth chord, so I need to ponder the general classification usage of "diminished" for a while . . .

dcuny wrote:From a jazz perspective, the viiº can be considered a rootless V7 chord.

One of the things I do to simplify music notation is to do everything on the treble clef, adjusting it downward by one or two octaves for something like viola (one octave downward) or cello and bass (two octaves downward), since everything else is too high to go one or two octaves above for the instruments I do with music notation, especially with synthesizers, since they tend to have a lot of harmonics and overtones that clash when the notes are too high . . .

From my perspective, not using a key signature is more elegant mathematically, and it is considerably easier to understand, since for all practical purposes it is an absolute mapping of the notes on a grand piano, at least the way I learned them, and I tend to minimize the use of flats and sharps so that if a note is a semitone too high, then I lower it by using the flat sign, but if a note is a semitone too low, then I raise it by using a sharp sign . . .

For example, if a B is a semitone too high, then I make it a B♭ rather than an A♯, although for an F♯, I call the fourth an A♯ rather than a B♭. So flats tend to be used only for stuff where there is an F chord, although not always . . .

In other words, I use flat and sharp pretty much the same way as minus and plus . . .

All the notes on electric guitar on fine, as well as "chimes", but I tend to reserve the highest set of frets for occasional use, where for the most part I keep lead guitar solos somewhere in the range of the 3rd fret to the 15th fret for the index finger, which usually is what I call the "1" of a "boxed" pattern, although not so much in the sense of the way "caged" is used . . .

For example, I do a lot of what I call "dot diagrams", and when they look like something that is easy to remember, I give them a mnemonic name, where the dot diagram for virtually every Blues, Rhythm and Blues, and Rock and Roll lead guitar solo ever recorded is the one I call "hY", but I also call it the "Louie Louie" pattern. There are other notes, and it actually extends to the low-pitch "E" string, but it is easier to remember when it looks like "hY" . . .

The extended flavor is the "hY2" dot diagram . . .

So, the Roman numeral stuff is not going to make a lot of sense to me, because as best as I can determine it requires specifying a key, which is fine if everything is in the key of C, since I simply do not think in terms of different keys, where as noted in an earlier post, my strategy is that the "key" of a song tends to be the root note of the primary chord of the verse, so for example if one is playing "Louie Louie" (The Kingsmen) where the first chord of the verse is A Major, then it is in the "key" of A, which might not be the real key for all I know . . .

In other words, the "1" in the Nashville Numbering System is the "key" here in the sound isolation studio, which is entirely different from a proper "key signature" . . .

So, at present viiº and V7 are not going to make much sense to me . . .

dcuny wrote:In reference to the overtone series, the diminished chord lacks both a perfect fifth and a major third, making it a very dissonant sound. It's a stack of minor thirds, and typically the 4 note version adds yet another minor third, and is called a º7 (diminished 7 or just dim7).

While it's called a dim7 chord, but it's really a dim6. Go figure.

QUESTION: What is the definition of "overtone series", which is a new term for me?

I like the concept of a "stack of minor thirds", which makes sense geometrically, and also makes sense regarding the "dim6" observation, at least in the sense that I map "relative minor third" to a "minor sixth", based on the "Sleepwalk" (Santo & Johnny) pattern (C, Am, F, G), where Am is the relative minor third of C, but it also is the minor sixth in one way or another, except that as a note it is sixth but as a chord it is a minor sixth rather than a major sixth, which probably is strange, but it makes sense to me . . .

dcuny wrote:The dim7 has a particularly useful quality that any of the notes could be considered the root. Said another way, none of the notes in a dim7 is a particularly strong root. So it can be used to harmonize a passing dissonant tone without giving it undo harmonic emphasis.

As long as "dim7" is the fifth chord in the six chord pattern, which I call a "diminished" chord, then this makes sense to me, because it is sufficiently ambiguous that if I play it at the wrong location by a fret or two, I can slide it upward or downward, and it fits, even if it takes a several slides to land it somewhere that sounds either "good" or "off-the-wall", where an example of "off-the-wall" is the lead guitar solo that Mark Farner played on "The Loco-Motion" (Grand Funk Railroad), which is what I call a "textural" lead guitar solo, where it basically transcends the general concepts of being "on key" and "in tune", yet it works, and it has a lot of "in-between" notes that are not on a properly tuned grand piano, which makes it both illogical and logical, which makes it paradoxical . . .

"The Loco-Motion" (Grand Funk Railroad) -- YouTube record

dcuny wrote:On the other hand, your chord - a C#m7b5 - is used less frequently. It's diatonic viiº7 in the key of D Major. Plus, it's got a "true" dominant 7th, which makes it function as a temporary V7.

I did a bit more research on this chord, since it is an interesting chord, and as noted in my system, this is what I call an Em6, which I verified, but the notes are in a different order than when it is called a C#m7b5, which also is the correct name, except that I would not call it a C#m7b5 chord . . .

I think the difference is that the order of the notes does not matter so much in the way I name chords . . .

However, in the explanation for the "Stormy Monday" chord, I made a mistake, and the A9 actually is a D9, which makes the last chord in the set of six chords an A9, since the identifying note is the one on the low-pitch "D" string, which is a G, except that it is a whole step lower, so the note that identifies the chord is A, which is a bit confusing, but it makes sense to me . . .

So, it can be an Em6 or an A9 . . .

The logic on this is that when I play the "Stormy Monday" chord, which with the corrected name is D9, I play the note on the 5th fret of the high-pitch "e" string, as well, which I suppose makes it a D9 with an added A, and the four highest notes of this five-note chord are the same as the four notes of the last chord when it is played such that the note on the low-pitch "D" string is at the 10th fret, which is a whole step below the D at the 12th fret . . .

In other words, if you play an A Major Barre chord at the 5th fret and then do a half-step downward slide to the D9 (playing the five-note version) at the 5th fret, where the lowest note of the chord is the D on the low-pitch "A" string, this sounds the same as playing the last chord of the set of six chords but where the note on the low-pitch "D" string is a C at the 10th fret, where you do the half-step downward slide from the 11th fret . . .

It is a bit confusing, but the "Stormy Monday" D9 at the 5th fret basically sounds like the last of the six chords played so that the note on the low-pitch "D" string is a C at the 10th fret, where the primary difference is that the D9 actually has D as its root, while the other chord has no D, at all, which probably is a play "by ear" thing . . .

Explained another way, the lowest note of a chord is important to me only in the sense of chords where it definitely can be used quickly to map the chord to a bass guitar note, which is the case with low and middle Barre chords, for sure . . .

For example, if I need to play a C Major quickly, then I can play either a low Major Barre chord at the 8th fret or a middle Major Barre chord at the 3rd fret, since both of the lowest notes are C . . .

Whenever possible, I like to have the lowest pitch note be the identifying note, since it is easier to remember, and it works for a lot of chords, but there are other chords where there is no identifying root note, which in some respects makes no sense, except that even though I make an effort not to know the actual key signature, I play songs in only a few key signatures, which makes sense when you consider musical modes . . .

If one plays a scale with only white keys on a grand piano starting at Middle C, then the mode is Ionian, but if the starting note is D, then it is Dorian, and so forth (Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, Locrian), which is great, except that from my perspective all of them are C or perhaps A minor, which makes sense to me . . .

So, after pondering all this stuff for a while, I think that I probably minimized the set of chords that I need to know in order to play songs in key signatures that are easy to play on electric guitar and are easy for me to sing, which for me is a way to simplify everything, where yet another reality is that the primary reason I learned Barre chords was to be able to play songs when there is a horn section, since horn players tend to want to play songs in key signatures that are not easy for guitar players, since they exclude all the easy open-position chords, which makes no difference when one is playing bass guitar, so after pondering it for a while, I realized that Barre chords make it just as easy to play songs on guitar when there is a horn section as it is to play songs on bass guitar . . .

And this refreshes my memory on the sequence of events, which happened when I was playing electric bass before I decided to teach myself how to play rhythm guitar, and the guitar player in the musical group was having a bit of difficulty playing songs in a different key when we had a trumpet player (who was very good and like most horn players knew a lot about music theory), so the trumpet player told the guitar player to "just play Barre chords", which made no sense to me, so sometime later I asked the guitar player what "Barre chords" were, which is the way I learned the first few Barre chords, as well as the fact that if you know Barre chords, then horn sections cannot make you crazy by demanding that you play songs in difficult key signatures, so for example if I know "Stormy Monday" in A and a horn section appears and wants to play it in E♭, F, or B♭, then I shift the pattern to middle Barre chords for E♭ but have options if it is F or B♭ . . .

And now that I think about it a bit more, I do not have a name for the last of the six chords, since I remember it as being like a middle "Stormy Monday" but shifted upward or downward, depending on where the middle "Stormy Monday" happens to be . . .

dcuny wrote:The dim7, lacking a "true" 7th, has no such harmonic function, which is why it's ideal as a passing chord.

This is one of the things that I like about this chord, and depending on where it starts, you can do several types of transitions--simple one chord, two chord, three chord, and if it starts below the 5th fret as many as four to six chords where you can do a six-chord "walk-up" from the lowest possible position (fingers on the 1st and 2nd frets, which is the fifth chord in the diagram) all the way to the 16th and 17th frets, and then land on a low Barre G Major . . .

Lots of FUN! :)

P. S. I am going to ponder the Roman numeral system for a while, but I think that it is a bit too complex for me at present . . .

Last year, I devoted quite a bit of attention to making sense of musical modes, but after a while I decided that it made more sense to focus on scales, since there are more scales than musical modes . . .

P. P. S. I will proofread this for accuracy, spelling, and grammar later . . .
The Surf Whammys

Surfwhammy

Postby dcuny » Sun May 01, 2011 5:15 pm

See this Wikipedia link for information on the overtone series.

Roughly, you can assign the "strength" of a harmonic interval based on where it appears in the harmonic series. So (in order of appearance) you have:

* The octave
* A perfect fifth
* A major third

Put these together, and you have a major chord. When voicing the gaps, it's a good idea to more or less follow the pattern in the overtone series: root and fifth in the lower register, and third and other dissonances in the higher registers.

The perfect fifth can be used to derive all the notes in the chromatic scale. That is, if you start with a C, the perfect 5th is G. The chain of notes is:

C, G, D, A, E, B, F#, C#/Db, Ab, Eb, Bb, F, C

This pattern is known as the Circle of Fifths, or (from the other direction) the Circle of Fourths. It turns out that there's a slight discrepancy in pitch when you get all the way around, known as the Pythagorean comma. Most tuning systems have to deal with his gap in one way or another. The "equal tempered" system that most Western music adopts does so by slightly detuning various intervals from their true pitch. Which particular intervals should be detuned (and by how much) is a debate that I'd rather not get into.

One interesting thing is that you can find the major scale laid out on the circle. They're all adacent, but out of order. For example, here's the C major scale in the order it appears on the circle of fifths:

F, C, G, D, A, E, B

Here's the D major scale:

G, D, A, E, B, F#, C#

and so on. We can also derive the diatonic scales in a number of other ways. For example, you can use the rules:

1. Notes can be selected from the list of chromatic notes.
2. A scale must contain all the letter names {A...G}.
3. A scale can have flat or sharp notes, but not a mix of flats and sharps.

Following those rules, you'll end up with diatonic scales. For a major scale, this works out to the pattern:

root, whole step, whole step, half step, whole step, whole step, wholes step, half step

or:

Note 1 = root
Note 2 = root + 2 semitones
Note 3 = root + 4 semitones
Note 4 = root + 5 semitones
Note 5 = root + 7 semitones
Note 6 = root + 9 semitones
Note 7 = root + 11 semitones

For C major, this gives the scale:

{ C, D, E, F, G, A, B}

Chords are typically built off thirds of the scale. That is, you start with a note of the scale and use every other note:

1 = C root = C + E + G = C major
2 = D root = D + F + A = D minor
3 = E root = E + G + B = E minor
4 = F root = F + A + C = F major
5 = G root = G + B + D = G major
6 = A root = A + C + E = A minor
7 = B root = B + D + F = B diminished

The names of the chords refer to the scales that match the chord pattern. So "C major chord" means a chord that contains the first, third and fifth notes of the C major scale. A "D minor" chord is a chord that contains the first, third and fifth notes of a D minor scale. Notice that we didn't get the D minor chord from a D minor scale (technically, we got it from a D Dorian scale, but modes are a different discussion). So the name of the chord doesn't tell us what scale the chord was derived from, only what notes it contains.

Since all the major scales follow the same pattern of semitones between the scale degrees, the diatonic chords of the major scales will always have the same properties. That is, the chords built on the 1, 4 and 5 will be major, those built on the 2, 3, and 6 will be minor, and the chord built off the 7th scale degree will always be diminished.

Because of this, it's convenient to use roman numerals to covert a chord pattern to the scale degrees, with upper case for major chords (I, IV, V) and lower case for minor chords (ii, iii, vi). For example, the chord progression in C major:

C | Am | F | G | C

and in D major:

D | Bm | G | A | D

both map into the same roman numerals:

I | vi | IV | V | I

That's all the roman numerals are intended to be: a convenience function that shows the underlying harmony, independant of the current scale.

If we extend the chords to include a fourth note, we'll end up adding a 7th - that is, the 7th degree from the scale that the chord was derived from. Using C major again:

1 = C root = C + E + G + B = CMaj7
2 = D root = D + F + A + C = Dmin7
3 = E root = E + G + B + D = Emin7
4 = F root = F + A + C + E = FMaj7
5 = G root = G + B + D + F= G7
6 = A root = A + C + E + B = Amin7
7 = B root = B + D + F + A = Bmb7

There's an interesting pattern here:

1. All the minor (and diminished) chords are flattened 7ths - a full step below the root.
2. The I (C) and IV (F) major chords are Maj7th chords - a half step below the root.
3. The V (G) chord is the only major chord with a flattened 7th.

There's only on major chord in the diatonic scale that has a flattened 7th, and that's the chord built from the 5th scale degree of the chord. That movement is notates as:

V7 -> I

This tendancy of the chord with a b7 to move along the circle of fifths is referred to as a "dominant function", as if the chord were acting as the temporary dominant of the scale. Here's as far as we can chain it in C major:

Bminb7 | Em7 | Am7 | Dm7 | G7 | C

This is a very common progression, because it's harmonically strong. That's what the 7th chords are all about.

It's interesting to note that all the chords with a flattened 7th appear to the right of the C on the circle of fifths (recall the CMaj7 and FMaj7 don't function strongly as dominants):

F, C, G, D, A, E, B

As far as the viio functioning as a V7, that's simple: it's got the same notes as the V7, except for the root. In the key of C, the V7 is a G7:

G + B + D + F

the vii has the notes:

B + D + F

That is, it's got the same notes as the G7, except for the root G note. So theorists just imagine that there was a G in the root, and treat it as a G7. ;)

There's another interesting feature of the circle of fifths - the roots are adjacent to scales that only differ by a single scale degree. For example. F and G are adjacent to C. Here are the scales:

F Major: F G A Bb C D E
C Major: C D E F G A B
G Major: G A B C D E F#

If you take the notes that are common to all the scales, you end up with a gapped scale that looks like this:

C D E G A

which is the pentatonic scale. This is why you can use the C pentatonic major scale over the C, F and G chords: all the dissonance has been removed from it. As an aside, you can also "explain" the pentatonic scales as having the half step dissonances removed. That is, give the C major scale:

{ C D E F G A B }

There are two pair of notes that are a half-step apart: {E-F} and {B-C}. Since the C and E are harmonically important (based on their priority in the overtone series), we drop the F and B from the scale. The result is the same: a scale which functions smoothly over the scale because it lacks half-step clashes.

Your "HY" diagram is basically a version of the pentatonic scale applied to the guitar.

Sorry... I wrote a lot of words, but I'm not sure I clarified anything. :|
dcuny

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION