Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Some bugs i have

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Some bugs i have

Postby Admin » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:21 am

tubatimberinger wrote:
i find it very strange that notation editors are so late to the 64 bit party

Notation software is designed for just that. The use of sounds is an addition in functionality to that. Laying out scores requires the same amount of resources as intermediate typesetting/desktop publishing so really, for Fin/Sib to do what they are designed PRIMARILY to do, does not and probably will never require 64bit computing.

We do not consider the use of sounds as an "addition" to our program.....but more of an integral part of the compositional process. I have a hard time understanding how someone who would spend money on external libraries would still be working on a 32 bit OS. This is entirely my personal opinion, but it just seems that if you're going to invest in your "studio" the first thing you'd want to make sure was "up to date" would be the OS :shock:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby wcreed51 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:54 am

tubatimberinger wrote:
Laying out scores requires the same amount of resources as intermediate typesetting/desktop publishing so really, for Fin/Sib to do what they are designed PRIMARILY to do, does not and probably will never require 64bit computing.

That's the traditional music engraver's point of view, but it no longer reflects the reality of how these programs are used.
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby Admin » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:58 am

wcreed51 wrote:
tubatimberinger wrote:
Laying out scores requires the same amount of resources as intermediate typesetting/desktop publishing so really, for Fin/Sib to do what they are designed PRIMARILY to do, does not and probably will never require 64bit computing.

That's the traditional music engraver's point of view, but it no longer reflects the reality of how these programs are used.

+1

:ugeek:
Admin
Site Admin

Postby duka » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:45 pm

Admin wrote: I have a hard time understanding how someone who would spend money on external libraries would still be working on a 32 bit OS. This is entirely my personal opinion, but it just seems that if you're going to invest in your "studio" the first thing you'd want to make sure was "up to date" would be the OS :shock:

If I understand correctly N3 will work ok on 64bit systems?

and what about dynamic problem i have? why crecendo mark doesnt work?
duka

Postby Admin » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:59 pm

duka wrote:
Admin wrote: I have a hard time understanding how someone who would spend money on external libraries would still be working on a 32 bit OS. This is entirely my personal opinion, but it just seems that if you're going to invest in your "studio" the first thing you'd want to make sure was "up to date" would be the OS :shock:

If I understand correctly N3 will work ok on 64bit systems?

and what about dynamic problem i have? why crecendo mark doesnt work?

Yes N3 works on 64 bit OS....The issue with crecendo has to do with Miroslav's samples.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby kelldammit » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:49 am

tubatimberinger wrote:Notation software is designed for just that. The use of sounds is an addition in functionality to that. Laying out scores requires the same amount of resources as intermediate typesetting/desktop publishing so really, for Fin/Sib to do what they are designed PRIMARILY to do, does not and probably will never require 64bit computing.

you are absolutely correct that notation will most likely never require 64 bit computing, any more than word processing does. 64 bit will become a requirement nonetheless. even as we speak, ms word is available as a 64bit app. in a pragmatic "everyday use" sense, it's ridiculous and unnecessary, but from the perspectives of "keeping up with the state of the art" and "compatibility", it's just inevitable.
most notation packages include bundled instruments, and provide explicit support for (large) libraries, as well as video. in so doing, the devs themselves have opened pandora's box. think about it. you can now compose in notation (often to picture), export a reasonable audio rough, and have the printed score pretty much dealt with...all in one shot. it's a compelling way to work. the devs now simply have to deal with the practical requirements that their own features dictate, or else risk losing a userbase that's becoming increasingly reliant on said features.
actual production is another matter entirely, and of course for the engraver, it's pretty much moot.

k
kelldammit

Postby kelldammit » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:24 am

Admin wrote:We do not consider the use of sounds as an "addition" to our program.....but more of an integral part of the compositional process.

it certainly is that way for me. thanks :)
I have a hard time understanding how someone who would spend money on external libraries would still be working on a 32 bit OS.

when the host supporting such instruments only truly support 32 bits anyway, what's the point? if the instruments are integral, proper support for them should be as well.
while i generally concur with your opinion on staying current, a typical studio will usually stay a revision or two back for stability's sake (the devil you know, and all that).

also, please, please, PLEASE don't take what i'm saying as flame or insult...for me, notion SMOKES anything else i've tried. Also, to be clear, my gripes are NOT with notion specifically...it's more an indication of where notation software in general now stands. IMO, of course :)

kell
kelldammit

Postby duka » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:47 pm

kelldammit wrote:
Admin wrote:also, please, please, PLEASE don't take what i'm saying as flame

well, for ~250$ we have our customers rights :D
duka

Postby Admin » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:52 pm

kelldammit wrote:
Admin wrote:We do not consider the use of sounds as an "addition" to our program.....but more of an integral part of the compositional process.

it certainly is that way for me. thanks :)
I have a hard time understanding how someone who would spend money on external libraries would still be working on a 32 bit OS.

when the host supporting such instruments only truly support 32 bits anyway, what's the point? if the instruments are integral, proper support for them should be as well.
while i generally concur with your opinion on staying current, a typical studio will usually stay a revision or two back for stability's sake (the devil you know, and all that).

also, please, please, PLEASE don't take what i'm saying as flame or insult...for me, notion SMOKES anything else i've tried. Also, to be clear, my gripes are NOT with notion specifically...it's more an indication of where notation software in general now stands. IMO, of course :)

kell

Constructive criticism is ALWAYS appreciated! I'm really glad this discussion has stayed on the positive side of things :D
Admin
Site Admin

Postby kelldammit » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:18 am

duka wrote:well, for ~250$ we have our customers rights :D

agreed, but text can be easy to misinterpret sometimes, and 90% of the stuff we post is regarding problems as we may see them...so i just wanted to make sure i wasn't coming off as harsh. for my uses, notion does do an awful lot right...in many cases, better than the more expensive competition. so, i wanted a little positivity to clarify my stance and intended tone.
we've all invested, and we want notion to be the best it can be. i have no doubt the devs feel the same, but just railing at people doesn't usually pave the way for constructive dialog.

cheers :)

k
kelldammit

Previous

Return to NOTION