Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Why is so quiet?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Why is so quiet?

Postby tubatimberinger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:16 am

Is it me or has Notion not posted ANYTHING to this forum or any other of their web incarnations for like a year (since N3 was released?) Actually, I haven't seen word one from the company anywhere? All I see when I read these forums are bug reports and feature request from users. Why so quiet? Frankly it makes me nervous. I mean a Year with no word, really?

-tim
tubatimberinger

Re: Why is so quiet?

Postby fabiolcati » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:23 am

Maybe it is not a year, but glad to know I'm not the only one feeling nervous...
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby Admin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:32 am

tubatimberinger wrote:Is it me or has Notion not posted ANYTHING to this forum or any other of their web incarnations for like a year (since N3 was released?) Actually, I haven't seen word one from the company anywhere? All I see when I read these forums are bug reports and feature request from users. Why so quiet? Frankly it makes me nervous. I mean a Year with no word, really?

-tim

No need to feel nervous :D We're working hard over here at HQ....Haven't had as much time to post lately, but I'll try to stay a bit more present!

-Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Postby fabiolcati » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:52 am

jpg.jpg
Attachments
jpg.jpg
jpg.jpg (53.44 KiB) Viewed 7826 times
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby Admin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:59 am

tubatimberinger wrote:Is it me or has Notion not posted ANYTHING to this forum or any other of their web incarnations for like a year (since N3 was released?) Actually, I haven't seen word one from the company anywhere? All I see when I read these forums are bug reports and feature request from users. Why so quiet? Frankly it makes me nervous. I mean a Year with no word, really?

-tim

I have to say that over the last year the community here on the forum has been great! A few years ago I can remember being one of the only people answering questions and discussing features....now there is a GREAT group of people that help out other N3 users and share ideas :D

To that I say cheers!!

Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Postby pcartwright » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:30 am

With regards to fabioclati's photo...

uh....
pcartwright

Postby tubatimberinger » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:18 am

Kyle,

I understand being busy. And know that I am a little more re-assured by your quick response. I don't want to sound hysterical, but when you combine the 'quiet' with other factors, like how the web presence seems to be in a state of disarray, the discontinuation of the Realize Music competition and the economic climate in general it begins to paint a worrisome, all too familiar picture. I mean, a year without comment is a LONG time.

I have to say that over the last year the community here on the forum has been great! A few years ago I can remember being one of the only people answering questions and discussing features....now there is a GREAT group of people that help out other N3 users and share ideas :D

I agree that the forum is a great resource for us to compare notes etc. But again, compare that wonderful community activity to the official correspondence from the company itself. To me, there is a huge disparity. I'll say it again: Sept 17, 2009 "N3 released to the masses" is the last official press release I could find. A year?!!! I don't mean to be a jerk or beat this to death, but from a business standpoint, that is a potentially disasterous dropping of the ball.

An example: I have a friend I'm trying to get to come over the the darkside that is notion. I have talked the software up and played him some of my scores. He is psyched. He goes to demo N3. His downloads keep fubaring out. That is his first, first hand, impression. But he knows that you can't judge on one factor. So he creeps around the forums, cause he is savvy enough to know that reading what the users say is another way to learn. He notices all the stuff I just mentioned above and several others (that I didn't cause this is already too long a post). What impression does he have?

All I can find are complaints about bugs and other deficiencies, and the tutorials aren't really tutorials more than they are commercials for their intended features

That is a true story and a true quote.

I don't mean to come off as demanding, but I would say that in times like this (lets face it, I'm sure Notion is struggling like every other company right now), communicating with us (the users) should be one of your top priorities. Otherwise, we are left to our imaginations. Just a simple "hey, we know we our online presence is kinda out of control right now, but we are gonna fix feature/bug fix_01 first." for example. Then we don't guess (and people will always guess the worst).

Maybe you could tell us what you guys are busy with? What fixes/improvements are in the pipe line etc.

Cheers,
tubatimberinger

Postby Admin » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:06 pm

tubatimberinger wrote:Kyle,

I understand being busy. And know that I am a little more re-assured by your quick response. I don't want to sound hysterical, but when you combine the 'quiet' with other factors, like how the web presence seems to be in a state of disarray, the discontinuation of the Realize Music competition and the economic climate in general it begins to paint a worrisome, all too familiar picture. I mean, a year without comment is a LONG time.

I agree that the forum is a great resource for us to compare notes etc. But again, compare that wonderful community activity to the official correspondence from the company itself. To me, there is a huge disparity. I'll say it again: Sept 17, 2009 "N3 released to the masses" is the last official press release I could find. A year?!!! I don't mean to be a jerk or beat this to death, but from a business standpoint, that is a potentially disasterous dropping of the ball.

An example: I have a friend I'm trying to get to come over the the darkside that is notion. I have talked the software up and played him some of my scores. He is psyched. He goes to demo N3. His downloads keep fubaring out. That is his first, first hand, impression. But he knows that you can't judge on one factor. So he creeps around the forums, cause he is savvy enough to know that reading what the users say is another way to learn. He notices all the stuff I just mentioned above and several others (that I didn't cause this is already too long a post). What impression does he have?

All I can find are complaints about bugs and other deficiencies, and the tutorials aren't really tutorials more than they are commercials for their intended features

That is a true story and a true quote.

I don't mean to come off as demanding, but I would say that in times like this (lets face it, I'm sure Notion is struggling like every other company right now), communicating with us (the users) should be one of your top priorities. Otherwise, we are left to our imaginations. Just a simple "hey, we know we our online presence is kinda out of control right now, but we are gonna fix feature/bug fix_01 first." for example. Then we don't guess (and people will always guess the worst).

Maybe you could tell us what you guys are busy with? What fixes/improvements are in the pipe line etc.

Cheers,

Thanks for your concerns. I'm not sure where you're getting 1 year without a comment from? We've been talking it up for the past year on this forum (and others). I know I've personally posted many times here and elsewhere.....

Our web presence has been consistent over the past year as well....so once again I'm not really sure where you're getting the whole "state of disarray." I've personally done quite a bit to our site over the past 6 months to streamline the user experience (a good example of this is the product pages and the tutorials page).

As far as placing the Realize Music Competition on hold we truly enjoyed the experience the competition offered and we'd love to do it again in the future. We truly appreciate everyone who participated in the past and are grateful to everyone involved, but we regrettably had to place the contest on "hold."

We've delivered press releases consistently in 2010. Press Releases for all SLE Products (VSL, GPO, and Miroslav), our new distributors in Australia and New Zealand, and our brand new Jazz Samples Library. Not to mention we've resurrected the Vibrato Newsletter and stayed pretty consistent with blog/twitter/facebook updates. That's plenty of news!! If you're interested stop by the blog and you'll find news and links. I realize that I haven't updated the press release page on our site.....I'll get on that and I'm sorry if you were mislead.

http://www.notionmusic.com/support/tutorials.html
I'd say that there are some "informational" tutorials on this page, but at least 9 of the N3 tutorials are straight forward tutorials with our very own Lubo Astinov walking the user through everything from SequencerStaff to setting up Custom Rules. Maybe you haven't visited this page in a while, but I think it's very useful.

I still don't really understand where you get "our web presence is out of control?" I do quite a bit to align our web presence and keep our site easy to use, informative, and seo friendly (so folks can find it:)).

Don't guess the worst. If you visit our blog you'll get a good pulse on what is happening with the company. We've certainly been hit like every other software company out there, and we've got some GREAT things we're working on. Unfortunately they are under contract and I can not discuss them or any details about them. We are still working on bug fixes and pushing forward with development on N3...not at the pace we were earlier this year, but forward progress is still being made. I can't give you specifics on development at this time because as I said they are under contract and we're not at liberty to discuss the details.

Thank you for your comments and I hope I answered some of your questions and clarified some things. I'll get on updating our press release page ASAP to reflect all the press releases this year.

-Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Postby thorrild » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:54 pm

Kyle, you beat me to it! Within an hour or so, you posted a lengthy, eloquent and well-considered reply to the puzzling comments in this thread, and I think there is little to add — if the discourse is to remain civilized...

Personally, I am thrilled with all the work you guys are doing — both with the application, which gets better and better with each frequent (!) update, and with this forum. I have always taken the forum to be a venue for self-help or peer help, and not really a heavily managed hotline to the Notion staff — there's an email address for that. Even so, you and other staffers repeatedly grace the forum with your presence and chime in when it seems necessary to steer a certain topic straight, or to give us bits of insight into upcoming features, and I really appreciate that. I know of no other notation software company that is so transparent and accessible, so seemingly unafraid of discussing features before they are even in a press release, and at the same time so dedicated to the development of the application.

One point in the previous posts may have a bit of truth in it: It is a sad reality that customers rarely speak up about their daily pleasure in working with a product. Complaints, however, are always there. And while complaints are often helpful and even warranted, they can sometimes take on a life of their own, especially when they are hurled around in cyberspace.

Thorrild
27" iMac 2013; OS 10.9.3
thorrild

Postby pcartwright » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:05 pm

thorrild wrote:Personally, I am thrilled with all the work you guys are doing — both with the application, which gets better and better with each frequent (!) update, and with this forum.

Agreed +1

thorrild wrote:I have always taken the forum to be a venue for self-help or peer help, and not really a heavily managed hotline to the Notion staff — there's an email address for that. Even so, you and other staffers repeatedly grace the forum with your presence and chime in when it seems necessary to steer a certain topic straight, or to give us bits of insight into upcoming features, and I really appreciate that. I know of no other notation software company that is so transparent and accessible, so seemingly unafraid of discussing features before they are even in a press release, and at the same time so dedicated to the development of the application.

Well said, Thorrid. I loved Notion3 right out of the box (though I have voiced a few concerns and made a few feature requests), but it's the transparency noted above that sets Notion apart; it's wonderful that the Notion team takes future development and feature requests seriously. Kudos!
pcartwright

Next

Return to NOTION