Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

N3 Copy Protection

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: N3 Copy Protection

Postby chon » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:54 am

So is this how it works? --- De-activation involves an interaction with the security software's website, and leaves the software no longer activated on the particular computer, but logs (on the website) your entitlement to another activation, ready for later use?
chon

Postby Unfinished » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:48 pm

Frivo has asked exactly this (the questions about deauthorisation) and Kyle Poehling replied that you get two authorisations, so the implication is that you can not deactivate your program in order to transfer it elsewhere. It seems there isn't an option to deactivate or unauthorise, too, so I'd assume this is the case.

The thing is, will you need to authorise Notion 3 for the third time before Notion 4 comes out anyway? I can't imagine going through 2 computers before their next major update. Besides, if they are too generous with authorisations then what's to stop people sharing the program at Notion's loss?
Unfinished

Postby chon » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:43 pm

Unfinished wrote:... It seems there isn't an option to deactivate or unauthorise ...

The thing is, will you need to authorise Notion 3 for the third time before Notion 4 comes out anyway? I can't imagine going through 2 computers before their next major update.

Perhaps not, but if you simply replace the hard disc which Notion is on, doing that will consume an authorisation. So -- one consequence -- if a new Notion-3 buyer has it in mind to replace the HD (that Notion would go on) in a few weeks, it could be advisable not to install Notion 3 until the new disc is in place.

And it seems that if someone decides to use up both authorisations at once - eg one for a desktop and the other for a laptop - that might be risky.

Also, if you decide not to upgrade to Notion 4, you can't carry on using Notion 3 by transferring it from one PC to another - you'll have usage after the initial authorisation, and then the usage after the next (which might be for a disc upgrade), and no more.

It's a shame it's so inflexible - I (for one) might have found it preferable to have just a single authorisation which could be de-activated and moved to another PC or to a new disc in the same PC.
chon

Postby ducatibruce » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:48 pm

It seems there isn't an option to deactivate or unauthorise, too, so I'd assume this is the case.

In the Windows install at least, there's a file in the install directory called "Licence Manager 5.exe" that appears to offer deauthorise & move licence options - According to the prompts in the program anyway (no documentation is provided).

I certainly hope that like most software using similar licence schemes (eg IK Multimedia) that if you contact them with a valid reason more authorisations will be given.
ducatibruce

Postby jazzalien » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:10 pm

It's a big secret. No one from Notion can give us right information about Copy Protection, Nalpeiron License Removal Utility, License Manager 5, Deauthorize...

Here are my other Topics about this question:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=219
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=220
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=180

I think that every N3 user in this Forum want to use the sofware legally, but we need some answers:

N3 runs on my Desktop Mac and on my Laptop.
What's up, when I want to install N3 on a new machine?
What's up, when I want to change my system disk?
Is there a manual or tutorial about Nalpeiron License Removal Utility or License Manager 5?

Thanks
jazzalien

Postby pianotone » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:36 pm

Yes we really need a definitive answer about this issue from Notion staff as people are rightly concerned.
pianotone

Postby Novatlan » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:26 am

I'd like to ahave an answer, too, as I maybe will be getting a new laptop computer.
Do not care for critics. Noone ever raised a statue to a critic (Jean Sibelius)
Riding is like nuts and bolts: If the rider's nuts, the horse bolts (Nicholas Evans)
www.demo.novatlan-sound.de
Novatlan

Postby astinov » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:24 pm

Hello everyone,

I wanted to address this thread, since it has been up for some time now. As you know, NOTION3 uses Nalpeiron for its copy protection, unlike NOTION2 which used PACE. As with any other third party software, the exact specifics of using their License Management Utilities are probably best handled by their respective websites/staff (you probably would call PACE for your iLok transfers, e-Licenser for your Syncrosoft dongles etc.) The information I'm discussing here is second-hand in nature, meaning, NOTION Music does not develop the software protection nor its utilities.

That being said, there is a Nalpeiron Utility which you can use to remove and/or transfer licenses between machines. NOTION3 can be installed on any two machines at a given point. So let me try to answer the questions below in order:

N3 runs on my Desktop Mac and on my Laptop.

OK, it looks like you've already used your two authorizations.

What's up, when I want to install N3 on a new machine?

I believe you would have to use the License Manager provided by Nalpeiron to transfer the licenses between one of your old machines and the new one. There is an Internet De-Activate option and a Manually Move License option.

What's up, when I want to change my system disk?

I suppose this would be using the same procedures as in moving a license between two PCs.

Is there a manual or tutorial about Nalpeiron License Removal Utility or License Manager 5?

Not that I am aware of, but it seems to me, the License Manager has some pretty straight forward instructions under each option. If those don't help, best would be to contact Nalpeiron directly with any specific questions you might have.

Let me just re-iterate that NOTION Music does not develop the License Manager in question, it is a Nalpeiron product, so if you are concerned about some specific issue that you don't see well described in the License Manager Utility, it is probably best to contact both us at NOTION Music and Nalpeiron. We are more than happy to help, some questions we may not have the ability to answer to though, since it is a third party software.

Thanks, I hope this helps bring some clarity to the issue.

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby raygriffinmusic » Sat May 22, 2010 5:58 pm

Just to clarify further...I just emailed Notion Support on this issue, and they replied straight back, with assurance that you can move licenses between computers. You just need to return the license by clicking help>register product>return licence and entering your license details. This I assume deactivates your copy on that machine, then you can re-register on another machine.
If your computer dies, or you do not have an internet connection, you can email them and they can sort it out at their end for you.
Sounds fair. :mrgreen:
raygriffinmusic

Postby solo7100 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:00 am

And I read about all of this AFTER I reformat my laptop to Windows 7..... :cry:

So I have Notion 3 package via Sonar 8 bundle. I've used Notion on my desktop and laptop. So, there are the two licenses.

Two days ago, I wiped my laptop (vista) and installed a fresh copy of Windows 7. I install all my audio software, etc...things go great.

I try to re-install Notion and BAM...says my license is already used (yes), and that's it.

I had NO CLUE about all this returning a license/moving a license...never even knew stuff like that existed. Dude...

So now what? Can I move my license from my desktop (WinXP) to my laptop (Win7)? If I do that, will my desktop Notion 3 stop working? I'm nervous just thinking about what yall will answer....I am not about to have a loss of productivity just because of this! Should have mentioned something in the install or setup...it's not even in the "Quick Reference Guide"

Somehow, I think if i just call up Notion and say, "Well, I didn't know...so can you release my license?" they won't cause they'll think it's pirated or something. Thing is this: I have copies of ALL my authorization codes, digital system ids, and serials from my VISTA install (previous). Can I somehow use those some kind of way?

Really, this is silly for someone like me who never thought of such high levels of license software implementation. There really should have been documentation in bold red letters somewhere. :geek:

Anybody have any guidance?

dude.....
solo7100

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION