Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Cup Mute Bug

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Cup Mute Bug

Postby DrH » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:54 pm

I have noticed in the new Jazz Kit that when the cup mute technique is applied to any instrument that supports it, no other new technique (including "open") will take effect until the cup mute technique is cancelled with "normale".

Has anyone else encountered this bug?

DrH
DrH

Re: Cup Mute Bug

Postby Admin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:43 am

This seems to work with the other mutes....but not with the cup mute. I'll check into it....

-Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Postby DrH » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:01 pm

Kyle,

You are correct. So far as I have tested, I can switch from any mute to another with no problem. But once I switch to cup, then there's no way out of it until I evoke "normale".

Thanks for looking into it,

DrH
DrH

Postby pcartwright » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:14 am

There's a similar problem with string pizzicato. If I have instructed the strings to play pizzicato, I have to give a normale instruction before the strings will play a bartok pizzicato.
pcartwright

Postby DrH » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:39 pm

pcartwright,

I concur. There are a number of problems with staff techniques changes, including the concept that staff techniques can and should be used for continuing techniques but in many cases do not.

There are also a few *very* common techniques that are missing and should be added to all instruments. For example, "sostenuto" could lengthen all notes to their full duration, "detache" could shorten them, "spiccato" could shorten lengths and add a crisp attack, etc.

These techniques can be referenced when building our own rules files (which as far as I know we create to override N3 built-in ruleset), so why not have these techniques available for built-in N3 instruments?

Kyle, could you look into this as well?

Thanks,

DrH
DrH

Postby pianosteve » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:14 pm

I agree with what has been said here. I was extremely frustrated with "open" not cancelling out a cup mute and somehow decided to try "normale" as an alternative which, to my utter amazement, worked! It forces a decision between audio generation and readable notation, in my opinion. In my case, I was only going for audio rendering, so whatever worked was fine with me, but still ended up causing a fair amount of frustration.
pianosteve

Postby pcartwright » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:05 am

Has the bug involving the expansion jazz sounds been addressed?

I've been trying my hand at some jazz arrangements lately, and I've noticed some very unusual side effects.

Like others on this thread, I've noticed that once a cup mute is added, I can't remove the effect with anything but normale (very annoying). To top that, I noticed that mutes added to the jazz trombone actually change the pitch! I think I noticed that the straight mute of all things increased the pitch by a P4th.

Notion folks... please, these bugs NEED to be addressed. Key elements of your software have been buggy for far too long.

I feel like I've done a fair bit to defend Notion and its endeavors on this forum, but even I am getting pissed that advertised features of the program (including extra articulations that I paid for) don't work properly.
pcartwright

Return to NOTION