Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

License question

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

License question

Postby dedersen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:36 am

I've been browsing for notation software and I'm really excited about what Notion seems to offer in terms of blending notation and DAW-like functionality. Before I go ahead and place an order, though, I have a question regarding the licenses. As I understand, I get two licenses so that I can install Notion on two different computers, right? What I am wondering is whether it's locked to a single OS. I use Windows for my main workstation, but I'd like to be able to install Notion on my MacBook Pro as well, so that those boring train- and plane-rides to conferences can be filled with music-making. :)

Probably a stupid question, I just wanna make sure. I've had some experiences with really odd license terms previously.

Oh, one more thing; Notion is currently 32bit, right? Any idea whether a 64bit update is in the works? With various orchestral libraries, the 32bit RAM limit is quite severe.
dedersen

Re: License question

Postby kelldammit » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:38 am

the licenses shouldn't be locked to any particular OS. the licenser software stuff pretty much only seems to care that you have the license available :)

notion is a 32 bit app, but it supports being run in a 64 bit environment...so if you can figure out a way to load the instruments outside of notion, you can work around it that way.
fwiw, sibelius is still only a 32bit app as well. however, it has a 'cheat' to allow for a 4gb ram limit under 64 bit OS's as a workaround (for now, anyway). i find it strange that apps that really WOULD use the 64 bit memory capabilities weren't the first to be all over it!
either way, i'm sure a proper 64 bit version is in the works :)

kell
kelldammit

Postby pcartwright » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:23 pm

kelldammit wrote:i find it strange that apps that really WOULD use the 64 bit memory capabilities weren't the first to be all over it!
either way, i'm sure a proper 64 bit version is in the works :)

Not to go completely OT here, but I was a big supporter of 64bit programming for music apps (such as Notion) until recently. I run my music software on a 64bit Windows 7 machine and have found two major reasons for Notion NOT to go 64bit (at least right now):

1 – You can unlock additional RAM space by buying JBridge (which is very reasonably priced BTW). JBridge essentially opens plugins in a “separate” program so that additional RAM space can be allocated to each instance but the plugins themselves are still usable within a 32bit application.

2 – Rewire, as I understand it, can only be used between 32bit applications (though some audio programs, like Reaper, have developed a “bridge” to connect the 64bit version of Reaper to other programs via rewire.

If Notion can successfully bridge rewire as a 64bit application, then great, but I think the current solution with JBridge is a reasonable way to break the 32bit barrier. Furthermore, if I had to choose between 64bit development vs. bug fixes and feature upgrades, I’ll choose the bug fixes and feature upgrades any day of the week.
pcartwright

Postby dedersen » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:39 am

Eh, so how do I actually go about installing Notion on two computers? I get a "License code already used" error when I try activating Notion on my laptop.
dedersen

Postby pcartwright » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:52 pm

dedersen wrote:Eh, so how do I actually go about installing Notion on two computers? I get a "License code already used" error when I try activating Notion on my laptop.

I didn't realize you could install on more than two machines. Let us know if you get a resolution to this issue.
pcartwright

Postby wcreed51 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:31 pm

You'll need to contact tech suport to resolve that...
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Return to NOTION