Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

I just don't get it.

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

I just don't get it.

Postby deanesque » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:41 am

Why is a jazz library more important than being able to record a MIDI piano performance? Why is anything more important for a "composition" program? What if you want a jazz piano with your horns. YOU CAN'T RECORD IT! I cross-graded from Sibelius because I thought Notion would be a more straight forward way to compose but then I discovered that it won't record CC 64 (Sustain Pedal). I've watched several updates where all sorts of non critical issues were addressed but I STILL CAN'T COMPOSE A PIANO PART! :?: I give up. I've wasted my money will be back with Sibelius. I guess I'm just wierd that way. After all who would use a keyboard to compose :!: :?:
deanesque

Re: I just don't get it.

Postby pcartwright » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:14 am

Deanesque, can you not record any live performance? The only two issues that I have experienced is that I can't record live input while Notion is in rewire slave mode and I can't record pedal markings. With Notion as a stand alone (as opposed to rewire input), I can record performances with only the pedal markings missing.

Normally I'm against these sort of forum/product ultimatums, but I think deanesque has a point. IMHO, I think functional upgrades should come before expansion sound and minor updates; although, a minor update to one person is a major update to another.
pcartwright

Postby posssu » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:59 am

pcartwright wrote:Deanesque, can you not record any live performance? The only two issues that I have experienced is that I can't record live input while Notion is in rewire slave mode and I can't record pedal markings. With Notion as a stand alone (as opposed to rewire input), I can record performances with only the pedal markings missing.

Normally I'm against these sort of forum/product ultimatums, but I think deanesque has a point. IMHO, I think functional upgrades should come before expansion sound and minor updates; although, a minor update to one person is a major update to another.

I understood it so that he can't record a live piano performance because he can't record sustain pedal (which is a part of the live performance).

I think a user has a right to express the frustration a product has caused, it doesn't really matter if we accept or don't accept, the user doesn't really need it if it's one of his/her last days with this product anyway. But like you said, maybe it's a sign of the company not paying enough attention to the most important issues...

I also understand that this kind of releases (soundsets) are the ones that bring them the money to develop further. I hope they will now develop other things in the future.
Film Composer - www.juhanalehtiniemi.com
My latest project: Our first indie pop -single, produced in Ableton Live, available also on iTunes and Amazon
Mac Pro 6-core 3.33GHz
posssu

Postby pcartwright » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:53 am

Indeed. I think being able to record without the pedal has its benefits in certain situations, so I hope that the Notion team will add the following options in a drop down menu (or something like it) in the record settings:

- record without pedal markings; note lengths based on note on/off
- record without pedal markings; note lengths based on note on and pedal off (This would be useful for times when you need to play other notes in other octaves and can't hold down a long note - Notion could interpret the pedal as simply lengthening the note duration)
- record with pedal markings; note lengths based on note on/off
- record with pedal markings; note lengths based on note on and pedal off

And I know I sound like a broken record, but I really would like to be able to record MIDI in Notion while Notion is in rewire slave mode. I usually have synth tracks on the host DAW that I need to hear while I play in order to get the feel of an ensemble; not being able to hear either the Notion instruments or the synth elements on the DAW during recording is a bit of an issue.
pcartwright

Postby deanesque » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:44 pm

[quote="pcartwright"]Deanesque, can you not record any live performance? The only two issues that I have experienced is that I can't record live input while Notion is in rewire slave mode and I can't record pedal markings. With Notion as a stand alone (as opposed to rewire input), I can record performances with only the pedal markings missing.

It won't record the sustain pedal which is necessary to record a piano performance. It's a known bug. I just don't understand Notion's priorities. I need to get work done and don't have the luxury of waiting anymore.
deanesque

Postby pcartwright » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:19 pm

Perhaps the team at Notion could create a poll for users to vote on the most important features yet to be implemented. This would help direct the development team toward features that users need most and features that may be more time critical.
pcartwright

Postby 4tune » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:18 pm

pcartwright wrote:Perhaps the team at Notion could create a poll for users to vote on the most important features yet to be implemented. This would help direct the development team toward features that users need most and features that may be more time critical.

I vote for this.
4tune

Return to NOTION