Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Harp TEchniques in N3

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Harp TEchniques in N3

Postby DrH » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:08 pm

A few questions about the N3 Harp, its techniques, and notational capabilities:

1. Does the N3 Harp at least have notational harmonics (sur tablle would be a plus)?

2. Does notated glissandi now play back automatically?

3. If so, is there a pedal-setting notation like in Overture (or some other method) that will allow for chordal, whole-tone, or other pedal-based glissandi?

4. Again if so, can we notated the gliss across the harp staff without having to break it up?

Keeping my fingers crossed that the answer to all above is "Yes",

DrH
DrH

Re: Harp TEchniques in N3

Postby composer » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:49 am

To add to the above, pedal notation would be nice.
composer

Postby KylePoehling » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:01 pm

DrH wrote:A few questions about the N3 Harp, its techniques, and notational capabilities:

1. Does the N3 Harp at least have notational harmonics (sur tablle would be a plus)?
DrH

I know that you can notate harmonics for strings and rhythm section guitar/bass, so it seems that may work. Then again I'm not completely familiar with harp notation so I could be wrong.

DrH wrote:2. Does notated glissandi now play back automatically?
DrH

Yes...there is a gliss feature:)

DrH wrote:3. If so, is there a pedal-setting notation like in Overture (or some other method) that will allow for chordal, whole-tone, or other pedal-based glissandi?
DrH

Once again I'm not completely familiar with harp pedal techniques and I know there are a few! The damper pedal does function as a piano damper pedal would function though so I believe this is a yes?

DrH wrote:4. Again if so, can we notated the gliss across the harp staff without having to break it up?
DrH

I believe you'll still have to break it up.
DrH wrote:Keeping my fingers crossed that the answer to all above is "Yes",

DrH

Hope this helps! Again I'll talk a bit with the developers this week and make sure I didn't miss anything.
Kyle Poehling
Marketing/Communications Manager-Notion Music
http://www.hotpoliticsband.com
http://www.modernrobot.net
KylePoehling

Postby DrH » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:11 pm

Kyle,

Thanks for your response.

Pedals on a harp are not used for dampening like on a piano. Dampening is acheived by putting one's hands on the strings after plucking them.

What harp pedals do is to alter a diatonic string (harp strings are pitched in C major) up or down a half-tone, thereby creating new scales for playing or gliss-ing.

So again, the question to ask around is, does N3 have a simple way (a pedal diagram is best) to "set the pedals" before a glissando like Overture does?

Thanks!

DrH
DrH

Postby pcartwright » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:24 am

DrH wrote:So again, the question to ask around is, does N3 have a simple way (a pedal diagram is best) to "set the pedals" before a glissando like Overture does?

I believe it does. There is a harp tuning option under the strings menu. Once you adjust your tuning to a particular staff, glissandi will have the pitches of the tuning chart.
pcartwright

Return to NOTION