Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

For rewire users

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: For rewire users

Postby pcartwright » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:36 am

Fermented_Digeridoo wrote:I think the answer to this question is really a matter of configuring Notion. Reaper's ReWire interface (in the FX bin as you mentioned) does seem to recognize 16 MIDI channels coming from NOTION. NOTION's way of setting up MIDI out is truly unlike any other DAW, so I think we all need to take a breather and try to troubleshoot what might not be working here.


Can you post a screen shot of the MIDI inputs coming from Notion in the Reaper fx bin?
pcartwright
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: For rewire users

Postby Fermented_Digeridoo » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:52 am

posssu wrote:
Fermented_Digeridoo wrote:
Real-time streaming of up to 4080 individual MIDI channels from one application to another (255 MIDI buses with 16 channel per bus). This feature requires ReWire 2.



Although this MAY refer to only one-way communication. From one to another, but not the other way round.

No, actually I'm really quite certain that the MIDI data can be sent both ways. The ReWire interface for Notion inside Reaper is bilateral with MIDI in (coming from Notion) and MIDI out (sending to Notion). See the image below.

I've figured out by now that you need to build the multi-out 16 MIDI tracks via the FX bin ReWire interface. So if this makes any sense (this is actually quite a complicated matter) the ReWire track is essentially acting as a multi-out VST. What you need to do is have the correctly assign sends and receives within Reaper. So, say, for a Violin 1 track, you need to make sure that it sends to your multi-out VST and receives from the Notion ReWire track on whichever channel you choose in Notion (1 to 16). That way you can compose in Notion and sequence in Reaper.

What I'm having trouble with, however, is routing a staff in Notion to the channels listed in the ReWire interface in Reaper (Bus 0, channel 1 - 16). Since I'm pretty new to Notion, can anyone speculate as to what this might mean? How would I route a staff (Basic Staff) in Notion to this bus?
Attachments
rewire midi send.jpg
Reaper's ReWire interface
rewire midi send.jpg (242.5 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
Fermented_Digeridoo
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:52 am

Re: For rewire users

Postby pcartwright » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:38 pm

Fermented_Digeridoo wrote:What I'm having trouble with, however, is routing a staff in Notion to the channels listed in the ReWire interface in Reaper (Bus 0, channel 1 - 16). Since I'm pretty new to Notion, can anyone speculate as to what this might mean? How would I route a staff (Basic Staff) in Notion to this bus?


I think you're reading the rewire effect in Reaper incorrectly. The screen shot you included shows the "MIDI send to rewire" tab, which would display the MIDI routing from Reaper to Notion (though I haven't been able to get Notion to recognize MIDI from Reaper).

What you want to do, as I understand it, is route MIDI from Notion to Reaper which requires you to set up MIDI channels in the "MIDI from rewire" tab (not displayed on your screen shot). When I load Notion as a rewire effect in Reaper, I don't have any MIDI channels to route in this tab, so I don't think it's possible. If you have channels to pick from in the third tab of the rewire effect, then please post another screen shot for us to review.
pcartwright
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: For rewire users

Postby Fermented_Digeridoo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:17 pm

pcartwright wrote:
Fermented_Digeridoo wrote:What I'm having trouble with, however, is routing a staff in Notion to the channels listed in the ReWire interface in Reaper (Bus 0, channel 1 - 16). Since I'm pretty new to Notion, can anyone speculate as to what this might mean? How would I route a staff (Basic Staff) in Notion to this bus?


I think you're reading the rewire effect in Reaper incorrectly. The screen shot you included shows the "MIDI send to rewire" tab, which would display the MIDI routing from Reaper to Notion (though I haven't been able to get Notion to recognize MIDI from Reaper).

What you want to do, as I understand it, is route MIDI from Notion to Reaper which requires you to set up MIDI channels in the "MIDI from rewire" tab (not displayed on your screen shot). When I load Notion as a rewire effect in Reaper, I don't have any MIDI channels to route in this tab, so I don't think it's possible. If you have channels to pick from in the third tab of the rewire effect, then please post another screen shot for us to review.

I've got a better idea:

Instead of speculating on what might be the case, why can't we get some help from someone who is a mod here or is involved in programming NOTION? Or do I have to file a ticket to get support like I had to do with EastWest??

Really, the better question is "where is all the technical support?" I'm sure that almost all of the advanced NOTION users would want to use it in conjunction with another sequencer. Shouldn't this be a topic with large documentation? Why is there none in the NOTION manual?

A note to NOTION: you are choosing your crowd when you do this. People like me want to see a notation software that does two things well: (1) provide a large variety of notation and feature advanced tweaking for those custom UI features and (2) versatility and ability to work with 3rd party applications and plugins. NOTION has only one of these things only partially covered. No 64-bit support yet (you have to go buy J-Bridge and the program is slower too), and there is some customization features.

I would like to hear from someone with NOTION before continuing to inquire further on this topic. If I don't hear from NOTION, or the topic is not moved to the Feature Requests forum by a mod, then we have both learned the lesson that NOTION was not designed for advanced users like us.

It would also be inconvenient for your customers to be complaining on your forums (more embarrassing than anything :lol: ).

Let's hope to hear from someone.
Fermented_Digeridoo
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:52 am

Re: For rewire users

Postby pcartwright » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:22 pm

Fermented_Digeridoo wrote:Instead of speculating on what might be the case, why can't we get some help from someone who is a mod here or is involved in programming NOTION? Or do I have to file a ticket to get support like I had to do with EastWest??


Uh, this isn't speculating. This is problem solving and this is what forums are for. Now, I work with Reaper extensively and I'd like to see some additional MIDI support for rewire users.

Fermented_Digeridoo wrote:Really, the better question is "where is all the technical support?" I'm sure that almost all of the advanced NOTION users would want to use it in conjunction with another sequencer. Shouldn't this be a topic with large documentation? Why is there none in the NOTION manual?


Search for rewire on the forum; you'll see that the developers are aware of rewire issue. Go ahead and go to the technical support team and see if they can provide you with answers; I don't know if technical support routinely checks the forums, so it would be in your best interest to contact them directly.

Fermented_Digeridoo wrote:A note to NOTION: you are choosing your crowd when you do this. People like me want to see a notation software that does two things well: (1) provide a large variety of notation and feature advanced tweaking for those custom UI features


agreed.

Fermented_Digeridoo wrote:(2) versatility and ability to work with 3rd party applications and plugins. NOTION has only one of these things only partially covered. No 64-bit support yet (you have to go buy J-Bridge and the program is slower too), and there is some customization features.


Most effects plugins should be used in the rewire host side of things (IMHO). I think Notion is meant to bridge the gap between notation programs and DAWs, but it isn't supposed to replace your DAW. I think most of the mixing effects you would need should be applied in the mixing program and probably not Notation (again, by personal opinion).

Rewire won't work at all with 64 bit support unless you can develop some sort of bridge. Reaper has developed such a bridge for using Reaper 64 bit as a rewire host, but I have had no luck using Reaper 64 bit in rewire slave mode. I think the best thing to do is to integrate JBridge into the software like Sonar.

Fermented_Digeridoo wrote:I would like to hear from someone with NOTION before continuing to inquire further on this topic. If I don't hear from NOTION, or the topic is not moved to the Feature Requests forum by a mod, then we have both learned the lesson that NOTION was not designed for advanced users like us.


First, I think you're reading the Notion rewire effect in Reaper incorrectly; view my posts above and see if those comments make sense and if you can assign MIDI channels from the "MIDI from rewire" tab.

Also, if you want a feature request, then write up a feature request. Notion is definitely reaching out to advanced users (just take a look at the rules files customization tutorials).

Fermented_Digeridoo wrote:It would also be inconvenient for your customers to be complaining on your forums (more embarrassing than anything :lol: ).


Not at all; forums are designed for people to submit ideas and discuss issues.
pcartwright
 
Posts: 796
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:47 pm

Previous

Return to NOTION

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests