Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion 4 as Rewire Host to Ableton Live 9 - Help please?

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Notion 4 as Rewire Host to Ableton Live 9 - Help please?

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:17 am

~ ~ ~ Continued from the previous post ~ ~ ~

elerouxx wrote:Have you tried running Notion as slave? Does Ableton 'obbey' the playback when you jump to different times on the score in Notion? (transport control). This is one thing that doesn't work in Notion as slave and Ableton as host, in Windows.

I did some tests with Ableton Live 9 (32-bit) as the ReWIre host controller and NOTION 4 (32-bit) as the ReWIre slave, and Ableton Live 9 ignores the tempo changes in NOTION 4, but Ableton Live 9 has a Tap button, which works in a way similar to NTempo, and it works nicely running in Mac OS X 10.8.3 (Mountain Lion) . . .

Ableton Live 9 (32-bit) as ReWire host controller, NOTION 4 (32-bit) as ReWIre slave on the Mac -- QuickTime Movie -- MOV (4.5MB, approximately 1 minute and 15 seconds)

I have not discovered how to record more than one track at a time from NOTION 4, but I think it is possible, since I did discover how to arm more than one track in the Ableton LIve 9 Mixer, which only makes sense if you can record more than one track at a time. Remember that I have not used Ableton Live 9 very much, so there are a lot of things I need to learn about it, which is natural . . .

elerouxx wrote:I agree that, in a perfect world, Notion should be enough. I like to write music, not to edit pianorolls and the likes of that, but for starters you can't record a voice in Notion. So if you are working on a song, ReWire is very welcome so you can record audio tracks in other application.

True! You definitely need a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) application to be able to do everything, although it is useful to know that beginning with the current version and continuing with upcoming version (Reason 7), Reason has a full-featured mixer as well as the ability to record real instruments and singing, so another possibility is to use Reason 6.5 or the upcoming version (Reason 7) as a DAW application, and it has a lot of signal processors and a virtual festival of fascinating stuff including the new Rack Extensions, and in this scenario NOTION 4 will be the ReWIre host controller while Reason will be the ReWIre slave, so that you can use VST effects plug-ins in NOTION 4, which maps to being able to use all the VST stuff as well as all the Reason and Rack Extensions stuff in one way or another . . .

Additionally, NOTION 4 can play Reason 6.5 instruments via NOTION 4 External MIDI staves, and as best I can determine with the new Reason 7 External MIDI interface, Reason 7 probably will be able to control and play some of the NOTION 4 and VSTi virtual instruments, which is sufficiently surreal that it might alter the spacetime continuum, really . . .

Really! :o

elerouxx wrote:And Abbleton is a different tool - it's not just a multitrack editor, but also a live music tool, and what is most useful for some kinds of creative workflow is the easy way in which you browse and use the instruments - I haven't seen such a interface before. It's fabulous! It's fantastic that you can control Ableton's tracks via a Notion staff with external MIDI out and not only ReWire. This is becoming a very efficient music scratchpad for me.

As noted, the more I use Ableton Live 9, the more I like it, and it has some very attractive features, one of which is the Ionosphere Guitar, which I really like and is the Ableton Live 9 native instrument that I used in the video, which pretty much nails the classic David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) Stratocater sound that I like, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :D
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Re: Notion 4 as Rewire Host to Ableton Live 9 - Help please?

Postby elerouxx » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:49 am

Ableton Live 9 really doesn't work as a slave in Windows, as a user has been told by Ableton in another forum. They replied to him:

Thanks for your e-mail.

At the moment Rewiring Live 9 64-bit as Slave is not working: our developers are aware of this bug and we hope to release a fix very soon.

We are sorry for any inconveniences, and please do not hesitate to get back to us should you need further assistance.

Kind regards,
Marco
Ableton Support'

But then they realized that it didn't work in 32-bit either. There are no configuration options, you can't manually set Ableton to start as slave. But doesn't matter, I don't really want to spend a lot of time and nerve in this - it's ok if it works as Master. I see this as if Notion was one big instrument (the orchestra) while the rest of the band is in Ableton.

As a host, in Windows, it not only ignores the tempo changes from Notion (markings, ntempo and stuff), but also if you click anywhere in the score and hit play, the playback doesn't start there as it should, but it starts where the playback was last stopped. Reaper works better than Ableton on this.

This is annoying, but I find Ableton Live a very productive tool so I think i'll live with this for the time being. I also like this program more and more as I use it. Go to the 'packs' section on their site to download some more instruments and sounds. They have a very huge collection!
elerouxx

Previous

Return to NOTION