Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

I dare you to write this for piano

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: I dare you to write this for piano

Postby Surfwhammy » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:19 pm

elerouxx wrote:
arkham00 wrote:Have you noticed how cool the admin is ? He did it without problems!
Thank you for your support!

And then I said it was a Notion for Windows problem and got no further reply.
All of you guys use macs?

QUESTION: Did you follow the specific procedure?

MAC vs. Windows

I do everything on a 2.8-GHz 8-core Mac Pro running Mac OS X 10.7.2 (Lion), and the main advantage when doing digital music production is that the computer and its operating system are designed by one company (Apple) with the primary goal of the hardware and operating system working correctly as a Gestalt . . .

This does not happen in the Windows universe by design, since Microsoft focuses on the operating system and a handful of essential hardware drivers, while third-party vendors focus on specific hardware and its drivers, which is made all the more variable by computer manufacturers having yet another primary focus . . .

Another key factor is quality, where everything on a Mac is the highest quality, but component quality varies greatly in the Windows universe . . .

In other words, Apple designs and builds the entire system, but this is not what happens in the Windows universe, because there is no single manufacturer for the entire system . . .

DELL might design and build the computer, but DELL does not design and build the operating system, and when the specific computer is used for digital music production yet another set of criteria come into play, where once again there are variations depending for example on the third-party manufacturers who design and build sound cards and sound card hardware drivers . . .

If you know enough about hardware and operating systems, and have the time to do the required work, then anything is possible, but I suggest that it is easier in the Apple universe because the hardware and operating system specifically are designed as a unit, where for example the audio hardware on a Mac is designed specifically to work with Mac OS X Core Audio, and vice-versa, where if Apple decides that Core Audio needs to do something, it includes whatever it might be in the design specifications for the audio hardware . . .

Microsoft tried to do the same thing beginning with Windows Vista, where initially there were vastly detailed specifications for every aspect of a Windows logo compliant computer, which for audio at the highest quality level required computer manufacturers and sound card manufacturers to do extensive testing with highly specialized and very expensive audio test equipment, but the requirements were so stringent and the audio test equipment was so expensive that the computer manufacturers and audio hardware manufacturers revolted and protested so much that Microsoft eventually relented and made exceptions in the form of different levels of compliance, delaying other more stringent requirements, and so forth and so on, which is where all the Basic, Home, Business, Ultimate, and so forth levels of Windows Vista came into play, but even when a machine was certified as being Windows Ultimate compliant, there were no guarantees . . .

Explained yet another way, every Windows machine is a hodgepodge of hardware and software from a virtual festival of vendors, and there is no high-level coordination of anything . . .

There are variations among Apple computers, but the variations primarily are focused on specific processors, memory, video cards, and hard drives, but even then everything is designed and specified by Apple so that the computer has everything it needs to be the highest quality in every respect . . .

Some of the hardware on Apple computers is similar or in some instances exactly the same as hardware one finds on high-end Windows machines, which certainly is the case with video hardware, but the hardware drivers are not identical, and while everything might look similar, this does not map to its actually being identical in every respect . . .

If you know enough about hardware, then you certainly can design an excellent computer for running Windows, and everything might work wonderfully, but if there are problems, then best wishes on getting any specific company (Microsoft or any of the third party hardware vendors and computer manufacturers) to accept accountability and responsibility for everything working correctly as a Gestalt . . .

Yet another great aspect of Apple computers is that it is not necessary to know much of anything about the hardware, because it "just works" . . .

For example, last week I removed the original 320GB internal drive that came with the Mac Pro and replaced it with a 2TB 7,200 RPM Seagate Barracuda internal drive, and while doing this I noticed that the Mac Pro has a video card, probably one made by ATI based on the graphic design and colors, but so what . . .

So what!

Why do I need to know that?

I suppose it is an interesting thing to know, and now I know it, but so what . . .

So what!

The Mac OS X 10.7.2 "System Report" indicates that the video card is an "ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT", which is fine with me . . .

The key bit of information is that when I was doing stuff in the Windows universe I could tell you exactly which components where in the machines, since I specified everything and assembled the computers myself, which in some respects was a bit of FUN, but I never could get all the digital music production software to work, because there always was something that was not happy in one way or another, and after messing with it for entirely too long and spending lots of money but accomplishing nothing I decided for a variety of reasons to switch to the Mac, and although it was a bit odd for the first few months the great thing about Apple computers is that they are born knowing what to do, which for me maps to not needing to mess with a bunch of computer hardware stuff . . .

The only hardware drivers I need to check every once in a while are the ones for the MOTU 828mkII and MOTU 828mk3 Hybrid, but this only happens when Apple releases a new operating system version, although it usually is installed automatically when MOTU does an update to Digital Performer . . .

For reference, I have a degree in Computer Science, so I understand all this stuff, but I have no specific interest in it and really prefer to know only what cannot be avoided, since my primary focus is digital music production . . .

If there is no way to avoid it, then I can put on the Computer Science hat and delve into everything in extraordinary detail, but it is something I do only when there is no way to avoid it, because it has nearly nothing to do with music, and since it has nearly nothing to do with music, it is a vast distraction . . .

Summarizing, there is nothing particularly bad about the Windows universe, and there are some good aspects, but in the grand scheme of everything if your goal is to focus on digital music production without having to mess with annoying computer stuff, then I suggest that it is vastly easier to do it on a Mac, because all the highest quality stuff is there from the beginning, and it works, which is fabulous . . .

Fabulous! :D
The Surf Whammys

Sinkhorn's Dilemma: Every paradox has at least one non-trivial solution!
Surfwhammy

Postby elerouxx » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:26 am

elerouxx wrote:
arkham00 wrote:Have you noticed how cool the admin is ? He did it without problems!
Thank you for your support!

And then I said it was a Notion for Windows problem and got no further reply.
All of you guys use macs?

Sorry, i didn't mean to be rude at all, of course I think the admin is super cool, as all the team. Notion is fantastic, I do a lot of advertising about it in the school of music, where everyone uses sibelius or finale - yet they envy the sound, and also the beauty of the layout of my "homework" :)

The reason I cannot convince them to go Notion is that they find it falls just a bit behind the control we need for academic work. I mean, of course Notion is a great tool for a composer, but as a student, many teachers prioritize the writing quality of the score. I'm not talking about customizable slurs, or cosmetic details like large time signatures, but just cross-staff, courtesy key or time signatures at the end of lines. Sometimes the teacher just asks for something that is a common practice in score writing, and you have to argue that 'sorry, sir, my software doesn't do that'. This is not an acceptable excuse and I understand that.

Said that, I also think that students are the door in for a product like Notion. It's hard to switch from a notation program once you choose it for the first time and get used to it, proof of that is both sibelius and finale hold a huge share each, being different from each other. So, it is in the early stage that you look for a notation tool. Last year we were four on a class. I already had Notion, another student took MuseScore for the time being, because he didn't want to invest yet, and the other two choose Sibelius as a recommendation from the teacher. I took my notebook to show how Notion works, and all loved it including the professor, but then they started to ask me some hard questions about how to do certain simple things that Notion just can't do. Other than that they found Notion amazing, the music layout very neat and elegant, and the playback, perfect.

Currently, I feel a little limited for the lack of just two or three features that are missing or buggy, -one of them being the grand staff instruments that act as two separate staves- and this forces me sometimes to run my work thru MuseScore before delivering. I have no arguments to convince a coleague to use Notion and then MuseScore.

By the way, the guys developing MuseScore are also doing a great work, specially on music engraving and related features, but of course they don't have the intuitive interface or the playback quality. I really hope Notion stays in the right track and gets even better.
elerouxx

Postby sepheritoh » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:49 pm

Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (50.56 KiB) Viewed 4941 times

Not sure if I do something I am not intended to, or misunderstand your problem, but I replicated what you are trying to do in the windows version upon first attempt.
sepheritoh

Postby kvapka » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:54 pm

elerouxx i use windows 7 and i can create exact notation as Surfwhammy post picture. I dont know how you create tuplets, i select type of note and click to make tuplet in palette. Then select upper voice and set up Stems down/up and do it for other voice as you wish.
kvapka

Postby Brian » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:41 pm

Hi Guys,

Brian here from NOTION Music. We have a stem direction tool built into NOTION and sometimes you have to use it. Here is what you do:

1. Enter all of your notation into voice 1 and voice 2. For voice 2 you will want to arm your mouse pointer with the triplet tool prior to entering the notes.

2. Once you put that last note in and the stems get jumbled, you will want to select all of the notes in voice one by holding the ctrl key down and selecting them one at a time.

3. Right-click the highlighted notes and go to Notes>Stem up.

4. Highlight all of the notes in voice 2, right-click them, and choose Notes>Stems Down.

This should resolve the issue. Let me know if you are still having a problem.

Best,
Brian
NOTION Music Tech Support
866-398-2994
Brian

Postby elerouxx » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:24 pm

Thanks, Brian! I'll use the suggested method to unscramble the stems. It worked fine so far.
elerouxx

Previous

Return to NOTION