Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

"Human Playback" Ideas

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

"Human Playback" Ideas

Postby pcartwright » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:19 pm

I was reading a few posts on the Garritan forums regarding realism and playback methods/options that could improve the perception of sampled sounds. I know this has been discussed at some length before, but I’d like to offer a few ideas that were thrown around on the Garritan forum.

1. Note on/off randomization. Even the best musicians in the world, given the same rhythm, will begin and end notes at slightly different times. I suggest an option that will randomize when a note is played and cut off. It shouldn’t be dramatic (as in, change the perceived rhythm of the part being played), but a few milliseconds of space may give a more authentic feel.

2. Intonation randomization. Just as musicians won’t be in perfect rhythm together, neither will they be on the exact same pitch. Some fluctuation (sharp or flat) is bound to occur over the course of playing a pieced. I suggest an option that will fluctuate the pitch of a note (by as little as a cent or two) randomly and even during the course of a sustained note.

3. Velocity and dynamic variation. I recommend an option that allows the dynamic level fluctuate; again, not by much, just enough to sound “fluid.” This randomized variable should probably come after whatever dynamic command is given. For example, if you have a crescendo from piano to forte and introduce the random variations afterword, the crescendo would no longer be perfectly linear (i.e. more realistic).

4. Velocity and dynamic diminuendo at the end of notes/phrases – a trick that is encouraged among the GPO users is to decrease the mod wheel data near the end of notes and phrases to emulate a player’s steady “lift” from note to note or from note to rest instead of an abrupt stop. Perhaps a rule that “faded out” the velocity towards the ends of notes would do the trick. Exceptions to the rule would be notes with specific dynamic markings (crescendo through the note) or notes that are to be played legato.

Additionally, each option should be able to be turned on/off per staff in order to preserve CPU power, prevent variations that may already exist in the sampled sound (i.e. intonation variation wouldn’t be necessary with GPO), or to prevent variations that may already exist within recorded MIDI content.

I know these ideas aren’t easy to implement (as far as I know, no one program has ever been able to offer all of the above), but I’d like to create a thread where users can offer ideas that may offer new ideas to Notion’s developers as well as offer possible features or work-arounds that already exist.
pcartwright

Re: "Human Playback" Ideas

Postby Admin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:26 pm

EXCELLENT ideas!

I'll certainly pass them along to "the powers that be" :D

Also if you haven't checked out "velocity overdub" feature in NOTION it's an awesome feature to get more "human" playback.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby fabiolcati » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:26 pm

Hi pcartwright
Very focused as usual from you.
I'll take time time to scan in deep your interesting post.
Ps Thanks for not having mentioned the "space bar digression" I faulty started at "that" thread... ;)
Fabio
Arrigo Beyle - Milanese - Lived, wrote, loved - - Stendhal
Being italian is a full-time job - - B. Severgnini
fabiolcati

Postby pcartwright » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:36 pm

fabiolcati wrote:Ps Thanks for not having mentioned the "space bar digression" I faulty started at "that" thread... ;)

LOL :D
pcartwright

Postby pcartwright » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Admin wrote:EXCELLENT ideas!

Also if you haven't checked out "velocity overdub" feature in NOTION it's an awesome feature to get more "human" playback.

Thanks for the post; I'll definitely check out the velocity overdub feature.
pcartwright

Postby Erufailon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:03 pm

Admin wrote:EXCELLENT ideas!

Hi,

just a question. What's better, to post ideas here or in the feature request section? I'm asking, because I have posted a request for human playback features almost identical to this quite a while ago, but I suppose if someone employed by Notionmusic takes interest the feature might get implemented faster, and it seems that this kind of thing only happens here, and not in the feature request section. Actualy I think it would be good if we somehow could get some feedback on the feature requests as there are many, and it would be good to know what requires a bit of pressure, and what's in the work already, and which ones we can forget about, as they ain't gonna happen :)
Erufailon

Postby 4tune » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:40 am

Erufailon wrote: Actualy I think it would be good if we somehow could get some feedback on the feature requests as there are many, and it would be good to know what requires a bit of pressure, and what's in the work already, and which ones we can forget about, as they ain't gonna happen :)

+1 :)
4tune

Postby pcartwright » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:36 am

Erufailon wrote:I have posted a request for human playback features almost identical to this quite a while ago

I didn't mean to steal your thunder, Erufailon. The reason I put this here instead of a feature request was to get ideas from the rest of the community before I submitted a more formal feature request. I have noticed that the feature requests seem to lack the volume of input as regular threads. Please add any other ideas you may have to the list.
pcartwright

Postby Erufailon » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:39 am

Neither did I mean you stole my thunder :) I would just like to know how the feature requests are processed. I've seen great ideas here that were commented on by someone from notionmusic, but that doesn't seem to happen too often in the feature request section (tho I have to admit, I'm not reading every thread there), and this leads to the illusion that it might be more rewarding to place new ideas here, instead of there.
Erufailon

Postby Admin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:26 am

Erufailon wrote:Neither did I mean you stole my thunder :) I would just like to know how the feature requests are processed. I've seen great ideas here that were commented on by someone from notionmusic, but that doesn't seem to happen too often in the feature request section (tho I have to admit, I'm not reading every thread there), and this leads to the illusion that it might be more rewarding to place new ideas here, instead of there.

I'd say let's keep the feature requests to the proper forum. We do check that forum regularly and TRULY appreciate your input. We are pretty diplomatic about feature additions here and your feedback allows us to shape the priority of future additions.

I can't really give you any specifics as far as "when is xx going to be added to the program." Lubo and I will try to be a little better about giving you guys an idea of what features we have in the works though :)

-Kyle
Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to NOTION