Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Notion VSL/VST

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Notion VSL/VST

Postby db100 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:05 pm

I cannot for the life of me get my equipment to play any VST's other than what I've placed in channel one. I'm trying to get Vienna Ensemble loaded up but Notion only recognizes channel one. If I load up three or four instances of the Ensemble, I can get different instruments, but that defeats the purpose of the Ensemble and of course eats up too many resources. I've tried loading up the different midi channels from the "External Midi" tab from the score set up menu, and even with that i can't get Notion to recognize anything but channel one on my midi keyboard. I've also tried creating basic staves and used the "instrument change" feature and still nothing. When I play the instuments on the keyboard interface that comes with VSL all the instuments will play. I just can't get Notion to recognize anything. Any thoughts, suggestions?

I'm running XP64, dual quad processor, 8gigs RAM, Focusrite Saffire - Yamaha S90ES Keyboard (yes, local control is off)
db100
db100

Re: Notion VSL/VST

Postby wcreed51 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:45 pm

See the multichannel VSTi tutorial here:

http://www.notionmusic.com/support/tutorials.html
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Postby db100 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:25 pm

Thanks, I did review the tutorial before I wrote this post, and I probably missed something. I'll go back and look again. The last time I tried getting instruments to load, my system hung, and hung up every time I tried. There must be something really simple I'm missing (that's usually the case). i have a love hate relationship with tech.
db100
db100

Postby astinov » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:37 pm

Hi db100,

Just a hint: If you did follow through with the video tutorial and set up your multichannel setup correctly, then you should simply be able to click the staff that has the instrument/channel you want (e.g. Staff 3 for Flute 2 for example) and when you play your MIDI keyboard it should sound with that sound.

Also make sure your Ensemble has the proper channel assignments for each instrument instance - for example make sure they are not Omni but have different and unique channels.

Hope that helps you out...

Lubo Astinov
astinov

Postby wcreed51 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:29 pm

Hi Lubo,

I’m curious as to the longer term plans for working with VSTis. This method seems so convoluted and round about. Why not just have routing options in a staff’s property settings?

Bill

PS I’ll be in Greensboro sometime in the next couple of weeks. Do you offer anything like a “factory tour”? :)
Bill Reed
Notion 4, Sibelius 7.5, Finale 2011/14, Overture 4, Cubase 7.5
Win8 x64, 32GB RAM
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Kontakt, VSL VI Pro, VE Pro, EWQL Orch, Choirs and Pianos
wcreed51

Return to NOTION