Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Editing

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Editing

Postby G-Sun » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:30 am

Hi!

Is there a way to (shortcuts preferably):
- Change a selected note to a rest
- Change selected note to a dotted
- Automatically convert all deleted notes to appropriate rests
- Rebeam measure
- Change duration of selected note
G-Sun

Re: Editing

Postby G-Sun » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:02 am

Rebeam,
also get notevalues right
Rebeam.png
Rebeam.png (1.92 KiB) Viewed 5474 times

to something like this:

Rebeam2.png
Rebeam2.png (1.77 KiB) Viewed 5474 times

..and the text should stay with note :)
G-Sun

Postby Admin » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:55 am

Hi!

G-Sun wrote:Is there a way to (shortcuts preferably):
- Rebeam measure

Choose the duration of the note with the shortcut that is available. When you press the shortcut twice, you will get the rest in the duration which you have chosen. After you have chosen the duration, you can insert the rest directly over the top of the note that you are wanting to replace. EG., If you have a quarter note in the score that you would like to replace with a rest, press "q" "q". You will see the quarter rest appear in the mouse cursor. Insert the quarter rest over the top of the quarter note. The note will be replaced with the rest.

Select the note or notes that you would like to change to dotted rhythms. Press "=" once, and then the shortcut for the note value that you want to use. In the case of a dotted quarter, press "=" and then "qd". You will change the value to a dotted quarter note. "d" stands for dotted. So, if you want to do the same with a dotted eighth note, select the eighth notes that you would like to effect and press "=" "ed". The same works for rests.

No, this is not available.

- Rebeam measure

Although you cannot rebeam an entire measure, there is a beam tool that you can use to reset the beams of a group of notes. "Shift + B" is the shortcut to open the beam tool. When you click with the beam tool between two notes, you will reset the way that beams are handled between those two notes.

The duration changes are described above in terms of Notation. In Notion, there is also a functionality called Sequencer Overlay. To access Sequencer Overlay. press your Tab key. Once this has been done, you will see gray lines appear over all of the notes in the score. You can drag the gray lines from the start point or from the ending point to change the durations of notes that are playing. These gray lines can also control Velocity of playback. You can raise the velocity by pressing Option (Alt PC) + Up/Down Arrow keys to maneuver by increments of 10, or Shift + Option (Alt PC) + Up/Down Arrow keys to adjust by increments of 1. There are 128 MIDI values that you can affect with velocity. Changing the velocity will change the color of the Gray Lines.

Regards,

-Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby G-Sun » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:55 am

Thank you!
This is very good support. Really appreciated :)

Admin wrote:

Choose the duration of the note with the shortcut that is available. When you press the shortcut twice, you will get the rest in the duration which you have chosen. After you have chosen the duration, you can insert the rest directly over the top of the note that you are wanting to replace. EG., If you have a quarter note in the score that you would like to replace with a rest, press "q" "q". You will see the quarter rest appear in the mouse cursor. Insert the quarter rest over the top of the quarter note. The note will be replaced with the rest.

Thanks! I knew this, but was hoping there was a better way.

Select the note or notes that you would like to change to dotted rhythms. Press "=" once, and then the shortcut for the note value that you want to use. In the case of a dotted quarter, press "=" and then "qd". You will change the value to a dotted quarter note. "d" stands for dotted. So, if you want to do the same with a dotted eighth note, select the eighth notes that you would like to effect and press "=" "ed". The same works for rests.

That's nice, thanks!

No, this is not available.

Ok, to me this seems very important, so definitively an FR ;)

- Rebeam measure

Although you cannot rebeam an entire measure, there is a beam tool that you can use to reset the beams of a group of notes. "Shift + B" is the shortcut to open the beam tool. When you click with the beam tool between two notes, you will reset the way that beams are handled between those two notes.

Thanks, that's a very useful tool. Noticed we can specify the grouping of notes in the time-signature as well. Have to check into that.

The duration changes are described above in terms of Notation. In Notion, there is also a functionality called Sequencer Overlay. To access Sequencer Overlay. press your Tab key. Once this has been done, you will see gray lines appear over all of the notes in the score. You can drag the gray lines from the start point or from the ending point to change the durations of notes that are playing. These gray lines can also control Velocity of playback. You can raise the velocity by pressing Option (Alt PC) + Up/Down Arrow keys to maneuver by increments of 10, or Shift + Option (Alt PC) + Up/Down Arrow keys to adjust by increments of 1. There are 128 MIDI values that you can affect with velocity. Changing the velocity will change the color of the Gray Lines.

Thanks! I have some more questions regarding the sequncer overlay.
I'll start a separate topic for that:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4203
G-Sun

Postby G-Sun » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:42 am

BTW: =qdd is not working, only =qd
G-Sun

Postby G-Sun » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:03 am

BTW: Checked midi import, and it behaved.. very good :)
So, incorporating that into my workflow, then most Rebar-issues should be solved.

I compose in DAW and last time I imported midi in Musescore, then xml to Notion.
Next time I'll let Notion do the import,
then maybe XML to Musescore as it has better editing features.
For print I believe Notion will be my tool :)
G-Sun

Return to NOTION