Attention:

Welcome to the old forum. While it is no longer updated, there is a wealth of information here that you may search and learn from.

To partake in the current forum discussion, please visit https://forums.presonus.com

Cross staff notation

A Forum to Discuss NOTION

Re: Cross staff notation

Postby DaddyO » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:48 pm

While I would like to see cross-staff notation as soon as possible, I imagine it would be a huge and difficult undertaking, possibly requiring some reworking of the architecture. If I'm right, I can't imagine it being part of an incremental update to an existing version.

Postby mrarnesen » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:13 pm

DaddyO wrote:While I would like to see cross-staff notation as soon as possible, I imagine it would be a huge and difficult undertaking, possibly requiring some reworking of the architecture. If I'm right, I can't imagine it being part of an incremental update to an existing version.

Well I would appreciate if the site told me it wasn´t possible before I bought it. There are a few things you expect when you buy a notation software...
Logic Pro 9, Kontakt 5, Notion 4, Requiem Light, Mercury Symphonic Boychoir, Emotional Piano, Miroslav Philharmonik.
mrarnesen

Postby mrarnesen » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:28 pm

DaddyO wrote:While I would like to see cross-staff notation as soon as possible, I imagine it would be a huge and difficult undertaking, possibly requiring some reworking of the architecture. If I'm right, I can't imagine it being part of an incremental update to an existing version.

I did a search for cross staff notation in this forum and found this reply by the admin:

"Unfortunately this is an issue we are still working on and hope to have resolved in an update. No cross staff writing/beaming in this version of Notion."

The reply is referring to cross staff notation.
Logic Pro 9, Kontakt 5, Notion 4, Requiem Light, Mercury Symphonic Boychoir, Emotional Piano, Miroslav Philharmonik.
mrarnesen

Postby DaddyO » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:45 pm

:chuckles:

Well clearly I was wrong in my assumptions!

First time! Really!

Postby reztes » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:02 am

I think asking for cross staff feature is not a battle against Notion. In fact, we all want Notion to improve its capabilities. Surfwhammy, you don't admit another thoughts than yours and you don't use bass cleff nor flats if you can avoid them which is an strange way of doing things and most people don't share it.
I'm very happy with Notion 4 beacuse it's very affordable, it sounds good, it's easy and it works fine and efficiently. Some engraving options more, a better way of printing parts and a cross staff feature will make Notion my perfect notation program. And I think it's possible.
reztes

Postby elerouxx » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:06 pm

reztes wrote:I think asking for cross staff feature is not a battle against Notion. In fact, we all want Notion to improve its capabilities. Surfwhammy, you don't admit another thoughts than yours and you don't use bass cleff nor flats if you can avoid them which is an strange way of doing things and most people don't share it.
I'm very happy with Notion 4 beacuse it's very affordable, it sounds good, it's easy and it works fine and efficiently. Some engraving options more, a better way of printing parts and a cross staff feature will make Notion my perfect notation program. And I think it's possible.

That's the point.

Surfwhammy, I understand your kind very well, you feel compelled to write, explain and illustrate, you are unortodox in your thinking, uncapable of writing only two lines of text, you want to reinvent things and don't have a compromise with how things have been done for years, and that's a good thing from certain point of view. I read your posts (should I say articles) with interest, and when I don't have the interest in reading some of the big ones, I just let them alone, with no reason for criticism to you or your exaustive text. But sometimes, like in this case, you might as well spend your time in more productive tasks.

It's clear that, if implementing cross-staff notation in Notion was a simple task, it had been already done. So there are difficulties - probably this is something that isn't covered in the base code, so it's hard work. But there's no reason to invent even more dificulties using the Window of Opportunity and other Sheldon Cooper's arguments. (I love that sitcom...).

And the fact that it's hard to do is not enough argument for not doing it. Cross-staff notation is making its way to the top of the list of priorities -for me and, i think, for most of us- and the only way to remove it from the list is to eventually implement it.
elerouxx

Postby mrarnesen » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:33 pm

Indeed, indeed. Our critisism is well intended. Cause I love Notion, and I don't want it to lack such elemantary notation techniques, as it prevents me from using Notion as I wish. I can't use it for my scores if there are a piano or harp in the orchestration. And it often is. And I can't give sheets to musicians without Time signatures showing before the next system.

I also think fewer people would be interested in Notion, especially those who are used to Finale or Sibelius. I've tried to recommend Notion to some friends, but everytime it is the advanced techniques they end up with prefering. (Not that cross staff notation is considered advanced in musical terms.)
mrarnesen

Postby ottomc » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:06 am

elerouxx wrote:Cross-staff notation is making its way to the top of the list of priorities -for me and, i think, for most of us- and the only way to remove it from the list is to eventually implement it.

reztes wrote:I'm very happy with Notion 4 beacuse it's very affordable, it sounds good, it's easy and it works fine and efficiently. Some engraving options more, a better way of printing parts and a cross staff feature will make Notion my perfect notation program. And I think it's possible.

mrarnesen wrote: I love Notion, and I don't want it to lack such elemantary notation techniques, as it prevents me from using Notion as I wish.

Well said, guys. We all love Notion, and the implementation of some missing notation techniques (cross staff notation, courtesy key signatures...) would make us love it even more. A music maker's dream come true! I am confident that the Notion developing team will take on the challenge.

Best regards,
Otto
Otto Martin Christensen
www.faidros.no
ottomc

Postby pcartwright » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:35 pm

+1. Well summarized.
pcartwright

Postby dshertz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:29 pm

I would certainly love to have cross staff notation on harp and piano.
Notion 4, VSL SE, LASS, BBB, Symphobia, Ivory, Real Guitar, CineSamples Brass and Winds
Win 7, I7 3770-3.4GHz, Asus P8Z77-V, 16Gb, PreSonus Firebox
dshertz

PreviousNext

Return to NOTION